AMD X570 Upgrade Catalina to Monterey (Booting Installer) fails

smx

AMD OS X Member
Hey guys,

im trying to upgrade from catalina to monterey but stuck on booting the installer (Initiated by legacy software updater in catalina).

I don't know what is going wrong here, I tried many different settings in my config.plist.

Information about my setup:
  • OC Version: 0.7.6 (Updated Kexts, followed https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/monterey.html)
  • Base System : Catalina ( Currently boots & works fine with updated OC and attached config.plist file 🙏)
  • Hardware:
    • Motherboard = MSI X570 (Gaming Plus) - AMD fTMP active - Latest available BIOS-Firmware
    • CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (Kernel patches replaced with the new ones)
    • GPU = AMD Radeon RX 570
    • 2. GPU (Disabled by spoof-ssdt.aml acpi file) = Nvidia 2070 (Im using this on windows for gaming ❤️)
  • SMBIOS = MacPro 7,1 ( Should works fine with monterey )

I guess its something with secure boot but I cant figure it out definitive. I can see many boot-signature errors in the logs. :confused:
I tried various security settings in config.plist + disabled the fTPM Module & change to TPM2.0 in my BIOS without success.

I don't get the last point # Troubleshooting with:
  • CSR_ALLOW_APPLE_INTERNAL (Bit 4 = 0x10)
    • Prevents updates appearing at all
  • CSR_ALLOW_UNAUTHENTICATED_ROOT (Bit 11 = 0x800)
    • Prevents incremental OTA updates
SIP is enabled when I check status in my catalina environment.
Bash:
csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: enabled.

But I don't find these 2 entries ( CSR_ALLOW_XXX ), where I have to look?

Attached-Files:
  • .log file
  • config.plist (I removed the serial and systemuuid)
  • EFI.zip (My entire EFI folder if needed)

Additional question: On successful booting my catalina I get also 2 errors with @ LocHB what is this, do this affect anything?
Big thanks for the community and the development with amd-osx, as a owner of AMD-Hardware and mac user I LOVE IT! 👏🤝🤟

Attachments

• opencore-2021-11-20-130818.txt
    256 KB · Views: 3
  • my-config.plist
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • EFI.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 10

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
  • Motherboard = MSI X570 (Gaming Plus) - AMD fTMP active - Latest available BIOS-Firmware

That's the issue. There some unknown issue with MSI boards somewhat related to the BIOS. Some people have had success by using an older BIOS version. As you've got a 3000 series CPU go back to the earliest BIOS you can that still has support for the CPU.

smx

AMD OS X Member
That's the issue. There some unknown issue with MSI boards somewhat related to the BIOS. Some people have had success by using an older BIOS version. As you've got a 3000 series CPU go back to the earliest BIOS you can that still has support for the CPU.

Thanks for your reply, but downgrade the firmware will be not an option for me, I had many problems with re- / boot times and performance issues and there is many fixed from AMD´s ComboAM4 releases which is please me more then use the newest mac os. I will continue try and error this and if is not working then post a issue @dortanias bugtracker page.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Dortania won't fix the issue. It's related in someway to how MSI are managing the ACPI related to PCI I think. I used to have the same board and couldn't get past beta 2 of 12.0 and ended up swapping the board for the ASUS X570-F.

smx

AMD OS X Member
Oh thats sad, I think then its time close for me to configure and use cleverly separated kvm/qemu virtual machines with underlying arch linux as host. I was thinking about that already long time. Single GPU Passtrough to the mac with the amd card and for windows using the nvidia only together with a hardware-switch (which Im using already on reboots) for each of my displays. :coffee:

AMDx64ryzentozh

AMD OS X Member
Dortania won't fix the issue. It's related in someway to how MSI are managing the ACPI related to PCI I think. I used to have the same board and couldn't get past beta 2 of 12.0 and ended up swapping the board for the ASUS X570-F.
Only issue I have that's 12.1 Betas on my msi mpg x570 carbon pro gaming wifi, some reason it doesn't boot the installer for 12., but does for 12.0.1, here's the EFI and TXT doc showing what issue i'm facing with 12.1, that's what i'm not understanding why it's doing that, plus everything i've update kexts etc, and it's running opencore 0.7.5 too. I'm sure patches might need update and every patch as well with new versions like kext etc. If anyone could help with that or know if it's something that needs patched cause it's weird i can only run 12.0.1 and not 12.1 which I understand it's not possible atm to run 12.1 on any system yet cause of patches etc, But if someone can't direct me what it could be, this would help me understand what's going on too. But Ive successfully got 12.0.1 fully running everything, but if decide to update might have to wait a bit, unless i hear more and more about kext, opencore 7.6.0 on the way soon properly around 2 to 3 week we might see another update and fix for some stuff, besides patches etc. But Shaneee i do gotta say thanking for making this possible as well as many contributors providing everything to make this work on my hardware as well as others, and i can agree with MSI changing stuff in their bios updates messing with it trying to boot macos 12 with opencore. only if it was possible to modify the bios to get anything out of the bios that's making that happen, butof coure it could brick your pc in the process if something is wrong or needed.

Attachments

• opencore-2021-12-03-074231.txt
    256 KB · Views: 6
  • EFI.zip
    19.8 MB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.