AMD RX 470 on Mac Pro 5,1 screen tearing and glitching, kext edit needed?

8Raven20

AMD OS X Member
Hi,
I switched from a failed nVidia card recently to an AMD RX 470 8GB for metal support but, I seem to have nothing but headaches with it.

The MacOS is standard Mojave 10.14.6 and the BIOS on the GPUs is most up to date button EFI.

I have seen references to editing kext files but don't know if that is for a hackintosh or similar build or also for a standard Mac.

I have downloaded some files from dortania in case but I'm not sure I need them or if I'm going to screw up my system.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have attached screenshots of the errors I'm getting

Attachments

• screenshot_30.png
    screenshot_30.png
    238.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 13.28.27.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 13.28.27.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

Gigamaxx

Donator
Donator
Hi,
I switched from a failed nVidia card recently to an AMD RX 470 8GB for metal support but, I seem to have nothing but headaches with it.

The MacOS is standard Mojave 10.14.6 and the BIOS on the GPUs is most up to date button EFI.

I have seen references to editing kext files but don't know if that is for a hackintosh or similar build or also for a standard Mac.

I have downloaded some files from dortania in case but I'm not sure I need them or if I'm going to screw up my system.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have attached screenshots of the errors I'm getting
Did you remove the web drivers? Was it a Kepler or older card and didn’t need them?

is the card a Sapphire 2048sp model?

8Raven20

AMD OS X Member
I can only look up what the card is on the AMD Wiki page. I can’t amend the drivers as it’s all in OSX, the nVidia card ended up not being supported by nVidia and then just failed on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gigamaxx

Donator
Donator
I can only look up what the card is on the AMD Wiki page. I can’t amend the drivers as it’s all in OSX, the nVidia card ended up not being supported by nVidia and then just failed on me.

Ok so the card worked before without setting up web drivers? You would know if you had set them up so you don’t need to uninstall them. If it was running on the native OSX drivers then there is nothing to worry about there.

There are versions of the RX cards that were made for the Chinese market that have a bad bios and don’t work in MacOS unless the bios is flashed to a different model. These usually have a 2028sp at the end of the description.
Sapphire RX580 8GB 2048SP. These have issues so do what you can to check for that.

is this a real Mac Pro 5.1?

8Raven20

AMD OS X Member
Ok so the card worked before without setting up web drivers? You would know if you had set them up so you don’t need to uninstall them. If it was running on the native OSX drivers then there is nothing to worry about there.

There are versions of the RX cards that were made for the Chinese market that have a bad bios and don’t work in MacOS unless the bios is flashed to a different model. These usually have a 2028sp at the end of the description.
Sapphire RX580 8GB 2048SP. These have issues so do what you can to check for that.

is this a real Mac Pro 5.1?
This is a Mac Pro 4,1 updated to 5,1 by the previous owner. So yes it's real.

Do I need to look at the stickers on the card to get the descriptors?

The nVidia card (GTX770) worked fine but the Web Drivers stopped at 348.xx I think. Card was OK but one day the screen flashed rapidly, went green and then just plinked off. The card had expired spectacularly. I switched to AMD on advice that the 'drivers are native' less problems, ha ha.

I know this is a Sapphire Nitro RX 470, it comes up as vendor: 0x1002, device id: 0x67df. I can only find the vendor as AMD but the help pages seem to be all about windows.

Gigamaxx

Donator
Donator
This is a Mac Pro 4,1 updated to 5,1 by the previous owner. So yes it's real.

Do I need to look at the stickers on the card to get the descriptors?

The nVidia card (GTX770) worked fine but the Web Drivers stopped at 348.xx I think. Card was OK but one day the screen flashed rapidly, went green and then just plinked off. The card had expired spectacularly. I switched to AMD on advice that the 'drivers are native' less problems, ha ha.

I know this is a Sapphire Nitro RX 470, it comes up as vendor: 0x1002, device id: 0x67df. I can only find the vendor as AMD but the help pages seem to be all about windows.
Look into your /Library/Extensions folder for Nvidia Web Drivers. If they are still there it may be causing the problem. Remove them and rebuild the kernel caches.

8Raven20

AMD OS X Member
Can I just remove them to trash or do I need to use an uninstaller?

8Raven20

AMD OS X Member
Look into your /Library/Extensions folder for Nvidia Web Drivers. If they are still there it may be causing the problem. Remove them and rebuild the kernel caches.
I found these but if try "sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/..." the message says "
(kernel) Kext com.apple.nvidia.NVDAStartup not found for unload request.
Failed to unload com.apple.nvidia.NVDAStartup - (libkern/kext) not found."

Also if I run kext wizard none of these are in the loaded list.

Attachments

• screenshot_45.png
    screenshot_45.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 1

Gigamaxx

Donator
Donator
I found these but if try "sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/..." the message says "
(kernel) Kext com.apple.nvidia.NVDAStartup not found for unload request.
Failed to unload com.apple.nvidia.NVDAStartup - (libkern/kext) not found."

Also if I run kext wizard none of these are in the loaded list.
Don’t remove from System/Library, check Library/Extensions.

8Raven20

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the help so far but as it’s New Year’s Eve I’m going to come back to this tomorrow

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.