AMD Rayon R7 5800H Install Monterey kernel Panic

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, the Monterey kernel panic problem has been solved for AMD R7 5800H notebook installation. It is a great thing that the CPU can now run on 8 cores. Thank you guys very much.Thank them for discovering the problem and providing kernel patches @ExtremeX@Visual

Brand: Lenovo
Model: Legion 5 6th Gen
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800h
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600m 8GB ( Separate GPU mode)
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (1000 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Ram: x2 8GB 3200mhz ddr4
Display: 15.6 1080p 165HZ

Updated October 5, 2023
Problems solved:
1. You do not need to disable XHCI
2. The microphone problem is rectified
3. Monitor brightness can be adjusted, only in Ventura

Unresolved issues:
Failure to wake from sleep

Attachments

• EFI-2023-10-5.zip
    40 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Solution
Panic from Monterey 12.6
View attachment 7258
Thanks. I looked at the sched_prim.c file in the XNU Kernel source code (nice of Apple to let us know exactly where to search) and found that it's related to the TSC (Time Stamp Counter) Syncronization of the CPU cores. The section of the code which gives the panic is: https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/xnu/blob/xnu-8020.140.41/osfmk/kern/sched_prim.c#L2836
Unfortunately Apple didn't update the XNU Source Code for macOS 12.6 yet, but I still managed to find the place where it calls the panic.
Image 1 is the code of XNU that panics if the time between cores does not match (not syncronized properly).

As seen when comparing the Big Sur and Monterey code (Image 2), Big Sur...

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
I start system large probability will stuck in the 'AppleNVMe Assert failed:',Probably my Samsung 970EVO hard drive is causing this problem,I can only forcibly shut down and restart many times can enter the system,
I found that using GenericUSBXHCI kext can normal boot system, but the USB will fail.
You can try to cancel GenericUSBXHCI Kext to see whether it is normal to start, if it is normal that you can use the installation method of writing USB disk image.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I start system large probability will stuck in the 'AppleNVMe Assert failed:',Probably my Samsung 970EVO hard drive is causing this problem,I can only forcibly shut down and restart many times can enter the system,
I found that using GenericUSBXHCI kext can normal boot system, but the USB will fail.
You can try to cancel GenericUSBXHCI Kext to see whether it is normal to start, if it is normal that you can use the installation method of writing USB disk image.
The 970 Evo is what comes with the Legion 5 or that is something you installed?

motorbott

AMD OS X Member
By the way, the ROG Zephyrus G14 2022 has 6800hs + 6700s(navi23 with mux switch). Does anyone have this model and maybe we can test if it has the tsc_adjust feature? If it does, it's possible to be fit for building a ryzentosh

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Legion 5 only stays at cpus=1, one CPU core runs Monterey, other AMD laptops don't know if they support TSC_ADJUST, tried loading RX6600M in BigSur modified driver, but failed, so far no one drives RX6600 in BigSur, Or send pictures to show

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
By the way, the ROG Zephyrus G14 2022 has 6800hs + 6700s(navi23 with mux switch). Does anyone have this model and maybe we can test if it has the tsc_adjust feature? If it does, it's possible to be fit for building a ryzentosh
No, I was planning on getting one, but unless the Lenovo Legion is not hacked properly I see no reason to get the G14

alexjaixd

AMD OS X Member
Legion 5 only stays at cpus=1, one CPU core runs Monterey, other AMD laptops don't know if they support TSC_ADJUST, tried loading RX6600M in BigSur modified driver, but failed, so far no one drives RX6600 in BigSur, Or send pictures to show
@zxc2689963 Just wondering have you tried 12.1 instead of 12.3.1 ? Think Monterey has made some changes from 12.3 and onwards.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Shaneee, So according to @zxc2689963 the "TSC_ADJUST support" is the culprit to successfully manage proper installation on newer Mac OS. Seeing that some newer laptops will likely be capable for hackintosh like the new Asus G14 with the Navi 23 6800s and muxed with newer Mac Os. Especially now since laptops are no longer having Intel + Radeon cards or are extremely rare.

The question is what would be the best way to approach the team involved on Opencore or any relevant team that could tackle the TSC_adjust Support?
If it comes to monetary compensation, I am sure something can be arranged. Your advise will be appreciated.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Unless the OpenCore team have something to test on and need to they are unlikely to help out here. Algrey may know though. I'll send him a message.

PStar_7

AMD OS X Member
There may be a way to boot network recovery through OpenCore, and a way to boot hard disk recovery, without upgrading to Monterey in BigSur
hey would you share working EFI/USB boot file for this r7?

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Monterey started asking for TSC_ADJUST support, so some X79 and X99 cannot be upgraded to Monterey,Legion 5 unfortunately has the same problem, hopefully OpenCore team will add this feature in the future, may need UEFI firmware to simulate TSC_ADJUST, Let the hardware support

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.