AMD Rayon R7 5800H Install Monterey kernel Panic

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, the Monterey kernel panic problem has been solved for AMD R7 5800H notebook installation. It is a great thing that the CPU can now run on 8 cores. Thank you guys very much.Thank them for discovering the problem and providing kernel patches @ExtremeX@Visual

Brand: Lenovo
Model: Legion 5 6th Gen
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800h
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600m 8GB ( Separate GPU mode)
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (1000 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Ram: x2 8GB 3200mhz ddr4
Display: 15.6 1080p 165HZ

Updated October 5, 2023
Problems solved:
1. You do not need to disable XHCI
2. The microphone problem is rectified
3. Monitor brightness can be adjusted, only in Ventura

Unresolved issues:
Failure to wake from sleep

Attachments

• EFI-2023-10-5.zip
    40 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Solution
Panic from Monterey 12.6
View attachment 7258
Thanks. I looked at the sched_prim.c file in the XNU Kernel source code (nice of Apple to let us know exactly where to search) and found that it's related to the TSC (Time Stamp Counter) Syncronization of the CPU cores. The section of the code which gives the panic is: https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/xnu/blob/xnu-8020.140.41/osfmk/kern/sched_prim.c#L2836
Unfortunately Apple didn't update the XNU Source Code for macOS 12.6 yet, but I still managed to find the place where it calls the panic.
Image 1 is the code of XNU that panics if the time between cores does not match (not syncronized properly).

As seen when comparing the Big Sur and Monterey code (Image 2), Big Sur...

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
RX6600 is not supported in Big Sur. The drivers for the RX 6600 series of cards were only added to Monterey 12.2, if I recall correctly.
Yes that's correct. But zxc2689963 said he managed to install and boot into it, which is why I am a bit curious.

As for the driver, actually it was already present in 12 Beta. I know because I tested it on my Asrock RX6600 with Z590 Rocket Lake build.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yes, my OC configuration KEXT is all selected. You can enter the Big Sur installation screen. But most cases stop at the following code. You can only force the restart to try more times. Also, the Big Sur installation screen is slow to respond. The mouse can only move slowly. The graphics card has no driver. Therefore, the installation fails.

Nice, I tried install Mac os on the Legion 5 for 2 months now and no luck. Impressed!

Note: Shanee did a patch for the 5800h a few weeks ago. Not sure if that could help at all. maybe dm him if he can help. He should be aware of the specs of the Legion 5

Last edited:

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi. I want to install Monterey on an AMD laptop (Legion 5 6th Gen with Ryzen 7 5800H and Radeon 6600M GPU). But the installation failed. There is a kernel panic during startup. I don't know what to do. Please help me find out what the problem is. thank you

Brand: Lenovo
Model: Legion 5 6th Gen
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800h

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600m 8GB ( Separate GPU mode)

HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (1000 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz

Ram: x2 8GB 3200mhz ddr4
Display: 15.6 1080p 165HZ

This is to install monterey12.3.1

We got stuck on the same spot on Monterey

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
No, I tried 5800H patch and it didn't work.
Added the crucial voodootscSyncamd-16cores.kext, successfully installed and started Big Sur,Tried many way...still can't start the Monterey.

that's a pity

Attachments

• 微信图片_20220429172049.jpg
    微信图片_20220429172049.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 微信图片_20220429172055.jpg
    微信图片_20220429172055.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 60

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
No, I tried 5800H patch and it didn't work.
Added the crucial voodootscSyncamd-16cores.kext, successfully installed and started Big Sur,Tried many way...still can't start the Monterey.

that's a pity
With it successfully running Big Sur, you should maybe do an IOReg dump of your system using IORegExplorer (to see what's been activated). The guys over at the Vega 8 Acceleration thread would certainly be interested. > https://github.com/mvaisakh/Asus-X505ZA-Ryzen-Hackintosh/issues/1

As for the Monterey non-booting issue, when you mentioned the ProcessorID=15 issue, I believe it was an APIC issue. What I meant by this was, it maybe have to be dropped in the ACPI table ie. set to Delete or possibly a value added to ACPI > Patch under Find and Replace. That's something that had affected older chips like Xeons and so they had to be patched that way. This post here best illustrates this method > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/xeon-1680-v2-custom-mac-compatibility.281233/page-2

Also mentioned here CPUTscSync is affected under Monterey so some systems have to boot with cpus=1 > https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1676

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
"Yes indeed! As proof, in addition I also have an Atari VCS Ryzen 1606G with Vega 3 Graphics which I managed to get working.
It can do DRM and audio in Big Sur. You have to start with OC 0.6.5 installing and running Mojave using AMD kernel patches, and SSDT-GFX0.aml along with boot-args shikigva=40 shikigva=Mac7BA5B2D9E42DDD94.
Try radpg=15 if the above doesn’t work. Also add in your GPU device properties in OC. Add in npci=2000 if you have Above 4G Decoding disabled (plus other usual hackintosh-compatible settings). That should allow your APU to run."

Do you think this could work for Vega 8 under Big Sur for the Legion 5 until a proper fix for Montery can be found?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
"Yes indeed! As proof, in addition I also have an Atari VCS Ryzen 1606G with Vega 3 Graphics which I managed to get working.
It can do DRM and audio in Big Sur. You have to start with OC 0.6.5 installing and running Mojave using AMD kernel patches, and SSDT-GFX0.aml along with boot-args shikigva=40 shikigva=Mac7BA5B2D9E42DDD94.
Try radpg=15 if the above doesn’t work. Also add in your GPU device properties in OC. Add in npci=2000 if you have Above 4G Decoding disabled (plus other usual hackintosh-compatible settings). That should allow your APU to run."

Do you think this could work for Vega 8 under Big Sur for the Legion 5 until a proper fix for Montery can be found?
It's possible although I think Vega 8 requires a bit more than that. The VCS was able to work but only under VESA mode (and no acceleration) because the Picasso chipset doesn't have Metal support. That said, the Vega 8 team over at Github said they've made some discoveries and will be releasing a solution or guide very soon.
So we have to see.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
It's possible although I think Vega 8 requires a bit more than that. The VCS was able to work but only under VESA mode (and no acceleration) because the Picasso chipset doesn't have Metal support. That said, the Vega 8 team over at Github said they've made some discoveries and will be releasing a solution or guide very soon.
So we have to see.
Pretty cool. Ideally we can solve whatever is afflicting the Legion 5 and the ACPI kernel panic we are all facing when trying to install Monterey. I feel tempted to install Big Sure then try do an OS upgrade and see what happens😁

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
So we have to see.

"So I made two discoveries recently with regards to hardware acceleration. Not sure if some of you know but what I found that's interesting is both AMD and Intel kexts in macOS /S/L/E I found share the same IOMatchCategory values under the kexts which is IOAcceleration. Unique to Intel is the IntelAccelerator IOClass which can be found in the AppleIntelSKLGraphics and AppleIntelICLGraphics kexts. I am quite sure with the info we've found so far it is possible to create a SSDT or even kext driver of sorts. We just need to figure out how to designate the AMD Vega properly as an internal IGPU.

Secondly (on a fairly related note of injecting AMD codes for acceleration), I managed to recently successfully boot up a RX6600 card in a Z590 system under Catalina. As we know the RX6600 isn't supported until Monterey, but I managed to fill in the required gaps in the Apple AMD kexts (AMDRadeonX6000Controller and AMDFramebuffer) by adding a Navi 23 class and the RX6600 device-id. I was totally amazed it booted up. This means it is totally possible to add the Vega 8 for acceleration.

Damn, If the below can work, would be Awesome!

"Alright, that's good going - it might work for my Atari VCS. And thanks for the explanation about the IOAcceleration.

With regards to the RX6600 Catalina solution, well this is what I did:

1. Made an external USB SSD install of Catalina. Disabled SIP from Recovery mode and Gatekeeper for both Monterey and Catalina (from separate installs).
  2. Made a copy of the following Catalina kext files onto Catalina Desktop, plus from Monterey Beta in separate folder:
    AMDRadeonX6000.kext
    AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext
    AMDRadeonX6000HWServices.kext
  3. Reading the equivalent Monterey files, edited the Info.plist of Catalina kext files by transferring over missing sections of the AMD Info.plist (cutting and pasting) in the kexts, with particular regards to the Navi23 IOKitPersonality details and then added the FF731002 device-id to the end of it under IOPCIMatch. Saved the edited Info.plists.
  4. Copied the files over into S/L/E, renabled Gatekeeper and SIP and then rebooted with RX6600."

Wait...Could this also work on the Legion 5 maybe? The Desktop RX 6600 is the same card as the 6600m.🤔🧐

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
"So I made two discoveries recently with regards to hardware acceleration. Not sure if some of you know but what I found that's interesting is both AMD and Intel kexts in macOS /S/L/E I found share the same IOMatchCategory values under the kexts which is IOAcceleration. Unique to Intel is the IntelAccelerator IOClass which can be found in the AppleIntelSKLGraphics and AppleIntelICLGraphics kexts. I am quite sure with the info we've found so far it is possible to create a SSDT or even kext driver of sorts. We just need to figure out how to designate the AMD Vega properly as an internal IGPU.

Secondly (on a fairly related note of injecting AMD codes for acceleration), I managed to recently successfully boot up a RX6600 card in a Z590 system under Catalina. As we know the RX6600 isn't supported until Monterey, but I managed to fill in the required gaps in the Apple AMD kexts (AMDRadeonX6000Controller and AMDFramebuffer) by adding a Navi 23 class and the RX6600 device-id. I was totally amazed it booted up. This means it is totally possible to add the Vega 8 for acceleration.

Damn, If the below can work, would be Awesome!

"Alright, that's good going - it might work for my Atari VCS. And thanks for the explanation about the IOAcceleration.

With regards to the RX6600 Catalina solution, well this is what I did:

1. Made an external USB SSD install of Catalina. Disabled SIP from Recovery mode and Gatekeeper for both Monterey and Catalina (from separate installs).
  2. Made a copy of the following Catalina kext files onto Catalina Desktop, plus from Monterey Beta in separate folder:
    AMDRadeonX6000.kext
    AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext
    AMDRadeonX6000HWServices.kext
  3. Reading the equivalent Monterey files, edited the Info.plist of Catalina kext files by transferring over missing sections of the AMD Info.plist (cutting and pasting) in the kexts, with particular regards to the Navi23 IOKitPersonality details and then added the FF731002 device-id to the end of it under IOPCIMatch. Saved the edited Info.plists.
  4. Copied the files over into S/L/E, renabled Gatekeeper and SIP and then rebooted with RX6600."

Wait...Could this also work on the Legion 5 maybe? The Desktop RX 6600 is the same card as the 6600m.🤔🧐
It might...but it's not a dGPU card unlike my setup above. I would have reservations trying Catalina on the Legion 5 laptop however.

If you want to test it, try using Big Sur 11.4 instead. That should have more of the parameters enabled for RX series cards
without your having to mess around with the Info.plist. Mine were tested working with this (albeit under VESA).

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
It's a good idea if you can drive RX6600m in BigSur. Can you provide KEXT of Monterey RX6600? I can't extract it without Monterey, so I want to try your method. I have saved ioreg in BigSur system. Recently, I am dealing with the problem that BigSur needs to restart several times to successfully enter the system, so I can only start in thin configuration.

Attachments

• Legion 5.zip
    568 KB · Views: 34

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@Shaneee, Poster zxc2689963 managed to get to Monterey although only with one CPU. Anything you think could be the culprit, or potential way to solve it?

Any input will be of great help!(y)

Try with this EFI for your system without cpus=1. After some research there's a replacement for VoodooTSCSync.kext which seems to fix systems not booting without the boot arg. I've included it in this EFI to test.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 61

motorbott

AMD OS X Member
It's still stuck. It's a pain in the ass
There’s an article on a Chinese forum mentioned about it.

The guy said:

"Support for TSC_ADJUST is a must. Some cpus support TSC and TSC_ADJUST, but it will not work if the BIOS don’t support it. You need an external program to do it. But Cputscsync.kext only deals with clock synchronization, not features between CPU and BIOS. As far as I know, the BIOS of my South China X79 has such problems."

So, first you need to check if your cpu support tsc_adjust and then your bios.

motorbott

AMD OS X Member
Someone else said his CPU does not support TSC_ADJUST, but it can also install and use Monterey normally.
The solution is to delete unnecessary CPU descriptions in DSDT and use voodootscsync.kext.

He also said do not use the new cputscsync.kext, this will cause a kernel panic. Cputscsync.kext is usable when version is earlier than V1.0.3.
I’m not sure what should be deleted, just did some translations. Hope it would help.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Someone else said his CPU does not support TSC_ADJUST, but it can also install and use Monterey normally.
The solution is to delete unnecessary CPU descriptions in DSDT and use voodootscsync.kext.

He also said do not use the new cputscsync.kext, this will cause a kernel panic. Cputscsync.kext is usable when version is earlier than V1.0.3.
I’m not sure what should be deleted, just did some translations. Hope it would help.
Thanks for the tip. Can you link to the page you read it from?

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.