AMD Rayon R7 5800H Install Monterey kernel Panic

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, the Monterey kernel panic problem has been solved for AMD R7 5800H notebook installation. It is a great thing that the CPU can now run on 8 cores. Thank you guys very much.Thank them for discovering the problem and providing kernel patches @ExtremeX@Visual

Brand: Lenovo
Model: Legion 5 6th Gen
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800h
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600m 8GB ( Separate GPU mode)
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (1000 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Ram: x2 8GB 3200mhz ddr4
Display: 15.6 1080p 165HZ

Updated October 5, 2023
Problems solved:
1. You do not need to disable XHCI
2. The microphone problem is rectified
3. Monitor brightness can be adjusted, only in Ventura

Unresolved issues:
Failure to wake from sleep

Attachments

• EFI-2023-10-5.zip
    40 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Solution
Panic from Monterey 12.6
View attachment 7258
Thanks. I looked at the sched_prim.c file in the XNU Kernel source code (nice of Apple to let us know exactly where to search) and found that it's related to the TSC (Time Stamp Counter) Syncronization of the CPU cores. The section of the code which gives the panic is: https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/xnu/blob/xnu-8020.140.41/osfmk/kern/sched_prim.c#L2836
Unfortunately Apple didn't update the XNU Source Code for macOS 12.6 yet, but I still managed to find the place where it calls the panic.
Image 1 is the code of XNU that panics if the time between cores does not match (not syncronized properly).

As seen when comparing the Big Sur and Monterey code (Image 2), Big Sur...

lyx

AMD OS X Member
I also use this laptop. I read all content you had sent. So, the premise is my laptop must use Radeon Gpu if I want to install Hackintosh?
My Laptop use 3050TI, if there have some solution I can use ? Or maybe I should give up to try to install Hackintosh

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
If I use this argument, Monterey starts, but I remove everything, it panics, and everything is fine with big sur, but only 6 cores work
Hi @lev12345,

Try this new SSDT-CPUR.aml - I've adjusted it for your extra cores.

Attachments

• SSDT-CPUR.aml.zip
    808 bytes · Views: 1

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I also use this laptop. I read all content you had sent. So, the premise is my laptop must use Radeon Gpu if I want to install Hackintosh?
My Laptop use 3050TI, if there have some solution I can use ? Or maybe I should give up to try to install Hackintosh
@lyx,

Which laptop do you have exactly? Can you let us know the model name and full specs?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member

Middleman

AMD OS X Member

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
The previous problems returned again: 1 core, level 3 cache maximum 1mb instead of 16mb, but for that the processor was registered correctly, before that there was xeon
Okay I know what it is. I rechecked my file against the others and did a correction of some of the addresses. Now try it again without cpus=1, it should work.

Attachments

• SSDT-CPUR.aml.zip
    954 bytes · Views: 2

Middleman

AMD OS X Member

Attachments

• SSDT-CPUR.aml.zip
    813 bytes · Views: 3

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Alright @OG Nerd & @zxc2689963,

Okay I've had a look at your setup - and think I've found the problem. Please try this new SSDT-CPUR with your Legion 5. Use it and replace any existing 5800H SSDTs,
this one should work without the cpus=1.

Attachments

• SSDT-CPUR.aml.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 3

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Alright @OG Nerd & @zxc2689963,

Okay I've had a look at your setup - and think I've found the problem. Please try this new SSDT-CPUR with your Legion 5. Use it and replace any existing 5800H SSDTs,
this one should work without the cpus=1.
Ok, will try this afternoon, got slammed at work today.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member

Attachments

• richa’s iMac Pro.zip
    681 KB · Views: 1

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
So,I want to install Hackintosh, but the permise is that My Laptop should use Radeon GPU ? My GPU is 3050TI, if there have some solution I can try? Or I should give up this thought?
No, the nvidia version is not supported in Mac OS. Only the ones with the Radeon RX 6600M

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Out of curiosity. Try the older patch set but with the new core count patches added so it'll actually boot. I'm wondering if an older patch that was removed can fix it for this scenario. I've already set the core count in the patches.
Using your patches I can boot with the CPUS=1 arg but everything is the same, no USB. If I disable CPUS=1 arg, I get his KP...

IMG_0229.jpeg

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I have had a look at your IOReg and would comment as follows:
  1. Can I ask why you are using a SMBIOS for a MacPro7,1 and not the SMBIOS for a MacBookPro16,4?
  2. Are you not using WhateverGreen.kext because it doesn't match with the ACPI path for the dGPU?
    1. The ACPI path for the RX 6600m is not normal, as it uses the name VGA, not PEGP, GFX0 which we would normally expect.
    2. IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/GPP0@10001/SWUS@0/SWDS@0/VGA@0 this translates to ( /_SB/PCI0/GPP0/SWUS/SWDS/VGA).
    3. Having a three character name is not normal, VGA0 would be more understandable, as every other part is 4 characters.
    4. Maybe adding an ACPI rename patch - change VGA_ to GFX0 - in to the config.plist would help the system match with WhateverGreen.kext?
  3. The CPU is showing the first thread connected to PR00, using AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement kext attached, along with SMCAMDProcessor.kext.
  4. The next 15 threads all show the IOCPUState as uninitialised, whereas the first thread says it is running. Is this solely due to the cpus=1 boot argument?
  5. What is different in the IOReg when you are running Big Sur on this system, without the cpus=1 boot arg?

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.