AMD Hackintosh Pro Tools Support

ncarcagno

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, im new on this site so please let me know if there is something about the post that i'm doing wrong. My idea of this post is to be a place where we can talk about our experiencies with Pro Tools and AMD hackintoshes just to try to figure out if there is any solution to the crashes. In my experience im running Mojave with AMD FX 8320 and i tested the last version of Pro Tools to the time (2020.9) and without luck, it just don't start..I hope we can find a solution together !

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Share any crash logs then we can see if there is anything we can do.

ncarcagno

AMD OS X Member
Share any crash logs then we can see if there is anything we can do.

Thanks for answering Shanee, and sorry for my delay i was far from my system for a while... I attach the report that Pro Tools made after trying to start it, the app icon start bouncing for a while, then it keeps quiet and not responding, so i have to force quit and that is the only report i can have.System.png

Attachments

• PRO TOOLS REPORT 2020.9.txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Just as a rule of thumb it's a good idea to blur or mask out your serial number in screen shots. Nothing bad will happen per se but someone could see it, see it works and reuse it and then you would run into potential issues down the line.

ncarcagno

AMD OS X Member
Just as a rule of thumb it's a good idea to blur or mask out your serial number in screen shots. Nothing bad will happen per se but someone could see it, see it works and reuse it and then you would run into potential issues down the line.
Thanks !! Your're right ! I just edited it, thank you for the advice

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm can you try this. Open a Terminal window and paste in this to launch Pro Tools,

Code:
MKL_DEBUG_CPU_TYPE=5 /Applications/Pro\ Tools.app/Contents/MacOS/Pro\ Tools

ncarcagno

AMD OS X Member
Hmm can you try this. Open a Terminal window and paste in this to launch Pro Tools,

Code:

Pro tools behaves in the same way and terminal shows this

Code:
AVDCreateGPUAccelerator: Error loading GPU renderer
Sys_MachExceptionHandlerGlue.cpp catch_exception_raise::1

:confused:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I downloaded the trial but was unsuccessful in getting it to run. It seems to be an Intel only application. It's possible that in the future with ARM Macs Intel only code will be removed but no one really knows.

ncarcagno

AMD OS X Member
I downloaded the trial but was unsuccessful in getting it to run. It seems to be an Intel only application. It's possible that in the future with ARM Macs Intel only code will be removed but no one really knows.
Ohh that's a very sad new :cry: I made this system just to use it in my post production studio, i never realized of this problem.
Anyway thank you very very much for taking the time to check this ! You are great Shanee ! If you hear of any fix some time please remember of this post haha (i will keep an eye on this topic too). I will keep my hackitnosh and install windows in a new SSD just to run Pro Tools, all the others applications run great !
Big Thanks Shanee !

ncarcagno

AMD OS X Member

et71

AMD OS X Member
Thank you et71 ! I saw your post but i didn't understand how did you get it to work, in my case i cant even run the PT's app. Which method did you use for making the hackintosh ? i used OC.
I followed this guide: https://amd-osx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9805
Bought the same MoBo and processor (but a different graphics card, the RX580), and took the EFI (and change IDs of course).
I think I posted a "success" but then something changed in this forum before I could go into details and I had too many other things going on so I didn't find the time until now to pick that topic up again – resulting in creating a new account. Dunno why...

I did not do anything special. As soon as I properly installed the OS everything else (ProTools, Plugins etc.) was pretty standard. So maybe the problem is Mojave, maybe the ProTools version, maybe the conjunction of the two... I'll find out soon when trying to update my system to the latest versions. If that doesn't run smoothly I consider the Intel route again... Although I like the idea of running a Ryzentosh. Feels a bit rebellious...

ncarcagno

AMD OS X Member
I followed this guide: https://amd-osx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9805
Bought the same MoBo and processor (but a different graphics card, the RX580), and took the EFI (and change IDs of course).
I think I posted a "success" but then something changed in this forum before I could go into details and I had too many other things going on so I didn't find the time until now to pick that topic up again – resulting in creating a new account. Dunno why...

I did not do anything special. As soon as I properly installed the OS everything else (ProTools, Plugins etc.) was pretty standard. So maybe the problem is Mojave, maybe the ProTools version, maybe the conjunction of the two... I'll find out soon when trying to update my system to the latest versions. If that doesn't run smoothly I consider the Intel route again... Although I like the idea of running a Ryzentosh. Feels a bit rebellious...
Thank you for your help ! Yes i think the same, it should be something about amd.. im also considering rebuilding my system with intel for more compatibility and less headaches !

et71

AMD OS X Member
During my busy last months another issue arose that I couldn't really put my finger on: Fades of audio files were behaving weird.

If you take a file (pic.1), cut it somewhere (pic.2) and put an "equal gain" fade on it, the waveform should appear unaltered, as if the fade wasn't there (pic.3). What happens on my Ryzentosh is shown in pic.4. Hmm...
Although: If I play it back, the audio on both systems behave like it should: unaltered.

I thought "Well Avid will have screwed the fades up in terms of graphical representation. When I'm not that busy anymore I will find out with which version it started and with which version it is resolved". Although it is admittedly not a showstopper it is quite annoying an for my workflow not tolerable in the long run.

But it turned out that there was nothing to be found on the net and my posts on audio forums didn't get any reactions beyond one "did you put the power cable into the socket?" kind of answer.

There's a tiny chance that this is my HDX System or my special version number that is flawed but that nagging feeling that this build isn't reliable in a way creeping up on me...

Maybe someone else has an idea if it's somehow repairable on the Open Core side of things...

Attachments

• Original File.png
    Original File.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Original File cut into halves.png
    Original File cut into halves.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Fade on native System on a MacBook Pro.png
    Fade on native System on a MacBook Pro.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Fade on HDX System on a Ryzentosh.png
    Fade on HDX System on a Ryzentosh.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.