AMD Hackingtosh attempt (accepting suggestions and advice)

WRXSTIL1KE

AMD OS X Member
Hello guys and gals. New to this forum, found it while I was searching for OpenCore tutorials. Was blown away when I saw here that a few of you have successfully built a Hackintosh using newer AMD components. I have had Macs for a very long time, despise Windows and trying to learn to use Arch Linux (hasn't been easy). I thought I couldn't build a Hackintosh with my setup and was trying to make a Mac VM inside Arch Linux when I found this forum.

My current PC build is:
  • AMD 5950X 16 Core
  • Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero MotherBoard
  • Asus ROG Strix RX 6700 XT OC (Got this card only because it was the only part needed to finish my PC, but I am happy with how it performs so far. So have no plans in upgrading it)
  • 64GB (16x4) Crucial Ballistic Max CL 19 4100 Mhz RAM
    (Crucial states that it is overclock-able to 5100 Mhz, but Windows doesn't boot if I go above 3800 Mhz even using AI D.O.C.P. Do not know why. Not familiar with over-clocking since this is my first PC built since I joined the Apple gang)(Any advice in over-clocking in addition of building the Hackintosh will be greatly appreciated)
  • Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD (x2) (original plan was to have Windows on one and Linux in the other)
  • EVGA SuperNova G5 850W Gold Plus Power Supply
  • MainGear Vybe PC Case

I built this PC in an attempt to teach my child about computer, he is still pretty young but gotta start teaching them early. So I let him help with motherboard, CPU (carefully), RAM, PSU and GPU. I did all the cable management which could use some improvement. Since I found this forum, I have changed my goals of having a Windows, Arch with Mac OS VM through QEMU KVM to making it a Windows, Hackintosh, Arch Linux Build. Definitely not familiar with Code but I get by using terminal commands in most OSes.

Are my goals achievable?

Do you suggest to have all of the OSes in one drive and then use separate drives to share compatible content? Or put the OSes in separate drives for simplicity?

How to keep the OSes separately? I did a previous Hackintosh but it was a script install on an Intel NUC and when I log into Windows the system shows I have a Mac Mini, instead of an Intel NUC Hades Canyon.

Currently reading the recent posts of my similar build, one being from AudioGod. Confused some of the steps but I guess that will clarify a little after reading the OpenCore Guide as well.

Anyway, tips, advice, suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Peace ✌️

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Unfortunately your RX 6700 XT is not supported in MacOS. The Only Big Navi GPUs currently supported are the 6800, 6800 XT & 6900 XT. Other then the new Pro cards they have just released for the MacPro there are no other Big Navi cards supported.
This might change in time but I highly doubt it as if they were going to support the 6700 and 6600 GPUs they would already be supported.

Every other part of your build is good other then that.

WRXSTIL1KE

AMD OS X Member
Unfortunately your RX 6700 XT is not supported in MacOS. The Only Big Navi GPUs currently supported are the 6800, 6800 XT & 6900 XT. Other then the new Pro cards they have just released for the MacPro there are no other Big Navi cards supported.
This might change in time but I highly doubt it as if they were going to support the 6700 and 6600 GPUs they would already be supported.

Thanks for the reply. That’s a bummer… Well I guess I have to go with my original plan of using Mac in a VM until I can get my hands on a 6900XT which was what I originally wanted.

WRXSTIL1KE

AMD OS X Member

UPDATE!!!!

Finally got my hands on a 6900XT. Will be selling my 6700XT either online or locally. Only had it for approximately 3 months.

Now going back to my original topic, any advice or suggestions other than reading AudioGod's guide? Have you made any updates to that guide since I last posted here?

Thank you for your wisdom and time.

BonkerCronk

AMD OS X Member
Hi WRXSTIL1KE,

Just wanted to let you know some of my thoughts regarding a couple of your questions:

1. Are my goals achievable? - Certainly yes, now that you've got a supported card, I guess you're good to go.

2. Suggest to have all of the OSes in one drive? This is what I've done. But that's because I only have 1 SSD. I haven't had a problem because of this yet. But if something happens to the drive, I'd probably be in trouble since I won't be able to boot both the OSes. I'd like to get another drive and keep the OSes separate with a third drive for data.

3. How to keep the OSes separately? I have this same issue that you talk about - Windows showing me that my computer is a MacPro 1,1. I think it's because of opencore, Windows when loaded via opencore thinks that it's installed on a Mac.

Hope you have loaded macOS on your rig by this time!

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
UPDATE!!!!

Finally got my hands on a 6900XT. Will be selling my 6700XT either online or locally. Only had it for approximately 3 months.

Now going back to my original topic, any advice or suggestions other than reading AudioGod's guide? Have you made any updates to that guide since I last posted here?

Thank you for your wisdom and time.
Nice one, Your good togo now.
You can literally grab my X570-E EFI from my thread and use it with just single change needed.
All that differs is the USBMap.kext and as it happens I already have the correct USB Mapping for your X570 DarkHero.
Other then that though all my hints and tips and bios setting on page one of my thread are all bang on for your setup too.
I will post the correct USBMap on here for you to use in a little bit. 👍

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@WRXSTIL1KE Here's the correct USB Mapping for your X570 DarkHero.
Use the EFI from my Thread and replace the USBMap.kext with this one, Create new SMBIOS Details and away you go.
The EFI, Instructions and Bios setting plus any additional help needed can be found here.

Attachments

• Dark Hero USBMapping.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 8

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
64GB (16x4) Crucial Ballistic Max CL 19 4100 Mhz RAM
(Crucial states that it is overclock-able to 5100 Mhz, but Windows doesn't boot if I go above 3800 Mhz even using AI D.O.C.P. Do not know why. Not familiar with over-clocking since this is my first PC built since I joined the Apple gang)(Any advice in over-clocking in addition of building the Hackintosh will be greatly appreciated)
No matter how quick your RAM is rated togo it doesn't mean you can hit those rated speeds as there are many factors at play when it comes to running memory 1 - 1 with the CPUs FLCK.
3800mhz and 1900mhz on the FLCK is around the above average maximum for a Ryzen 5000 series to hit before the CPU starts chucking out WHEA errors all over the place. If you are one of the lucky ones with a golden 5900X or 5950X then you might be able to push that too 4000Mhz and 2000Mhz.
Where you are maxing out is about right but as for hitting 5100mhz....lol....No chance buddy.

WRXSTIL1KE

AMD OS X Member
Use the EFI from my Thread and replace the USBMap.kext with this one, Create new SMBIOS Details and away you go.
The EFI, Instructions and Bios setting plus any additional help needed can be found here.
Thank you sir, I will follow your guide and start working on this project. I will update here if I’m successful. I will post in your original thread if I run into problems.

WRXSTIL1KE

AMD OS X Member
No matter how quick your RAM is rated togo it doesn't mean you can hit those rated speeds as there are many factors at play when it comes to running memory 1 - 1 with the CPUs FLCK.
3800mhz and 1900mhz on the FLCK is around the above average maximum for a Ryzen 5000 series to hit before the CPU starts chucking out WHEA errors all over the place. If you are one of the lucky ones with a golden 5900X or 5950X then you might be able to push that too 4000Mhz and 2000Mhz.
Where you are maxing out is about right but as for hitting 5100mhz....lol....No chance buddy.
Yeah I get it, I know 5100mhz might be very unrealistic especially when it comes to AMD. My motherboard software in Windows 10 was not showing me I needed Bios update. Before the update my RAM (4 sticks) wouldn’t go above 3800mhz, (2 sticks) DOCP would take it to 4400mhz. After Bios update, (4 sticks) goes to 4000mhz, and (2 sticks) DOCP can go all the way to 4800mhz. However since I rather have more RAM, I can live with that. I’m not an overclocker anyway. I’m just trying to learn new things so I can teach my kids in the future.

Anyway thanks for the helpful information.

WRXSTIL1KE

AMD OS X Member
Hi WRXSTIL1KE,

Just wanted to let you know some of my thoughts regarding a couple of your questions:

1. Are my goals achievable? - Certainly yes, now that you've got a supported card, I guess you're good to go.

2. Suggest to have all of the OSes in one drive? This is what I've done. But that's because I only have 1 SSD. I haven't had a problem because of this yet. But if something happens to the drive, I'd probably be in trouble since I won't be able to boot both the OSes. I'd like to get another drive and keep the OSes separate with a third drive for data.

3. How to keep the OSes separately? I have this same issue that you talk about - Windows showing me that my computer is a MacPro 1,1. I think it's because of opencore, Windows when loaded via opencore thinks that it's installed on a Mac.

Hope you have loaded macOS on your rig by this time!
Thanks for encouragement. I haven’t started yet. All I have done is read the OpenCore instructions until I found out that my 6700xt was incompatible. I never thought I was ever going to be able to get a 6900xt with all the scalpers buying everything. But now I’m back at it again. I will make this work that’s for sure. Not going to give up. Been an Apple Mac fan since 2008 when I got my first MacBook. I like Windows for different reasons even though I did hate it since Windows ME. Love Linux but it has been a hard learning curve for me.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
If you go above 3600 MHz your FLCK is going to 1:2 and you lose performance instead of gaining. It's always good practice to run a benchmark after each change to see if you improved or are going in the wrong direction.

slehc84

AMD OS X Member
Hello guys and gals. New to this forum, found it while I was searching for OpenCore tutorials. Was blown away when I saw here that a few of you have successfully built a Hackintosh using newer AMD components. I have had Macs for a very long time, despise Windows and trying to learn to use Arch Linux (hasn't been easy). I thought I couldn't build a Hackintosh with my setup and was trying to make a Mac VM inside Arch Linux when I found this forum.

My current PC build is:
  • AMD 5950X 16 Core
  • Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero MotherBoard
  • Asus ROG Strix RX 6700 XT OC (Got this card only because it was the only part needed to finish my PC, but I am happy with how it performs so far. So have no plans in upgrading it)
  • 64GB (16x4) Crucial Ballistic Max CL 19 4100 Mhz RAM
  • Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD (x2) (original plan was to have Windows on one and Linux in the other)
  • EVGA SuperNova G5 850W Gold Plus Power Supply
  • MainGear Vybe PC Case

I built this PC in an attempt to teach my child about computer, he is still pretty young but gotta start teaching them early. So I let him help with motherboard, CPU (carefully), RAM, PSU and GPU. I did all the cable management which could use some improvement. Since I found this forum, I have changed my goals of having a Windows, Arch with Mac OS VM through QEMU KVM to making it a Windows, Hackintosh, Arch Linux Build. Definitely not familiar with Code but I get by using terminal commands in most OSes.

Are my goals achievable?

Do you suggest to have all of the OSes in one drive and then use separate drives to share compatible content? Or put the OSes in separate drives for simplicity?

How to keep the OSes separately? I did a previous Hackintosh but it was a script install on an Intel NUC and when I log into Windows the system shows I have a Mac Mini, instead of an Intel NUC Hades Canyon.

Currently reading the recent posts of my similar build, one being from AudioGod. Confused some of the steps but I guess that will clarify a little after reading the OpenCore Guide as well.

Anyway, tips, advice, suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Peace ✌️
I have 3 NVME drives , one for mac , one for windowsand the other one in EX FAT , that ayI can see it in both os's.
As everyone else has said all looks good to go , now you have a 6900 .
Good luck

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
If you go above 3600 MHz your FLCK is going to 1:2 and you lose performance instead of gaining. It's always good practice to run a benchmark after each change to see if you improved or are going in the wrong direction.
Your thinking Zen2 again Buddy,
Zen 3 can push to 1900 on the FCLK for most and the lucky few can get to 2000mhz 1,1
I run my 5900X at 1900mhz and 3800 on the memory 1,1.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
If he left the setting on Auto I meant, because when he was running at 4400 MT/s it was definitively at 1:2.

WRXSTIL1KE

AMD OS X Member
Hey AG,

My apologies for the dumb questions, bear with me. How do I edit the config.plist with propertree or Xcode? How is the information that I have to enter in the supposed to look like?

If you already talked about this in your post then I will keep reading. I was reading the OpenCore Dortania guide but I am getting confused. Not asking to be spoon-fed the info but if you or someone else can guide me to where to read a more in depth instructions, I will appreciate it. Thank you again.

WRXSTIL1KE

AMD OS X Member
Never mind my previous post. I was able to find more info and changed all the parameters suggested by AG. Now attempting to boot and install. So far, my PC is stuck on the progress bar with the Apple Logo not doing anything. Will restart and try again.

Update!

I just forgot to disable the Resizable BAR Support.

It's installing now. Do you guys think this will be available in the future? Or do I have to remember to switch it on and off depending on which OS I am booting into?

Thanks again

Last edited:

WRXSTIL1KE

AMD OS X Member
Guys,

In my "About This Mac" the GPU is showing "Display 7 MB" instead the 6900XT. Did I do something wrong? BTW the GPU is a PowerColor RX 6900XT Red Devil Ultimate. Don't know if that has to do with it or not but just in case.

Also, after installation, I cannot boot into MacOS unless I have the USB. MacOS is not even showing in the boot menu unless the USB is inserted. Any help on both issues? I have Windows on one drive and MacOS on the other. I used to have Linux in that Second drive and it appeared in the boot menu then.

Thanks

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The Ultimate uses the Navi 21 XTXH which is not supported by the macOS driver.
You can try spoofing the device id, but you probably end up needing to flash the BIOS with a Navi 21 XTX one (for example from the reference 6900 XT).
This means you'll be limited in max frequency/power limit of the XTX, but since it is a higher bin you might compensate that with an undervolt for better efficiency.

WRXSTIL1KE

AMD OS X Member
The Ultimate uses the Navi 21 XTXH which is not supported by the macOS driver.
You can try spoofing the device id, but you probably end up needing to flash the BIOS with a Navi 21 XTX one (for example from the reference 6900 XT).
This means you'll be limited in max frequency/power limit of the XTX, but since it is a higher bin you might compensate that with an undervolt for better efficiency.
Are you serious? FML! Such bad luck in picking up GPUs. I do not know how to do the Spoof.

Any ideas about OpenCore or the MacOS drive not showing in the boot menu unless the USB is inserted?

At least it boots that's farther than I ever thought possible. Thanks

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.