AMD FX8320 Big sur crash

volu

AMD OS X Member
Hi, i've installed last version of big sur 11.3.1 on my system. Everything is smooth, everything works, the only thing i can't find a solution is that some apple apps (apple TV, app Store, safari) crashes when i try to reproduce audio. It gives me this error:

Crashed Thread: 37 com.apple.audio.IOThread.client

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process: exc handler [1605]

Application Specific Information:
dyld3 mode

I've been looking all over the place, it seems is an fx bug but i can't find a solution.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Are you using Whatevergreen.kext?

volu

AMD OS X Member
Yes i am

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Latest version? Looking at previous posts with the same issue the acidanthera were looking at this issue as it was present on some Intel machines too. Not sure if they ever did though.
You could create a test USB with a copy of your EFI on it and remove Whatevergreen from your config. Assuming the system still boots see if the issue is still present.

volu

AMD OS X Member
Ok thank you i'll try. Yes, i'm running the latest version. But there's some kext specific for the rx570?

Last edited:

volu

AMD OS X Member
EDIT: i've removed whatevergreen kext, still boot. Everything is the same as with whatevergreen, can't notice any difference. Still having the same issue.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Where specifically does this error happen?

volu

AMD OS X Member
The error happens in apple apps when there's sound. In apple tv as soon as i hit play, in app store when video start, in safari for exemple on youtube and in quick time if i try to skip parts (the video start but if i skip than the app crash). But this happens not in every apps, for example in the apple photo apps i can see icloud video's without any problem.

I thought was something related to DRM but i don't really know what it is, and i tried the amazon prime video test, the one that is on the guide of opencore(fixing drm) and it works on safari, but like in quick time, as soon as i skip time the page crashes but i don't get any error, it just reload.

ca122

AMD OS X Member
I have the same issue on AMD FX 6300, not only some video related apps crash, but also the majority of Apple arcade games crash with the same error. All I could find was this thread. https://github.com/AMD-OSX/bugtracker/issues/7

It seems there’s no solution for now, but I hope I’m wrong

volu

AMD OS X Member
I have the same issue on AMD FX 6300, not only some video related apps crash, but also the majority of Apple arcade games crash with the same error. All I could find was this thread. https://github.com/AMD-OSX/bugtracker/issues/7

I'm noticing some weird shadows and blur on text too. Do you have the same issue? Or probably it's just the monitor idk.

Edit: I've fixed this problem by using this command on the terminal defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 0, and than reboot.
So, apparently on big sur the font smoothing is enabled by default. So with -int 0 is disabled, -int 1 is light, -int 2 medium and -int 3 strong.

Hope that this can help someone with my same problem.

Last edited:

OG Deltwin

The FX Guy
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Do this in the terminal: defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 0

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.