Again, blackscreen!

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Black screen randomly, login not appear, PC is working, I can access through SSH.
Ryzentosh AMD 5900x, AsRock x570 Taichi, AMD Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5700 XT

After login, when I can get there, all is working good.

agdpmod=pikera added, but not resolve.

Trying with gfxrst=1, gfxrst=4, igfxonln=1 without success.

I read disable serial port can resolve, but ... I don't have this option in my BIOS

I wrote in Acidanthera bugtracker, but my ticket was close because they don't support AMD CPU.

Here my debug EFI with OC and Lilu log.
OC is 0.65, but the problem is identical with 0.64

EFI Debug blackscreen

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@baronerosso Have you tried going into the bios and setting your PCIe to Gen3?
Also one other thing you could try is instead of having Above 4g enabled have it set to disabled and use the boot argument npci=0x2000 in your config.plist instead or vice versa?

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Noway.
PCIe set to AUTO or Gen3, no differences.
Idem Above 4g.

The problem, now, is I have always black screen, I'm writing from windows now, I have black screen booting with OP on USB

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I install again Big Sur above the old installation, the move of despair!
At this moment 1 blackscreen and 1 success.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Did you try connecting your display to different ports?

And set XhciPortLimit to false, you don't need that on AMD.

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Did you try connecting your display to different ports?

And set XhciPortLimit to false, you don't need that on AMD.
I'll try, but in Dortania guide is set to true.

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
OK, maybe I resolve ... maybe!!

I add Radeon in DeviceProperties and set
ResetLogoStatus to false

I want test all today with lots of reboot before celebrate!!

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
OK, it seems that everything is working fine now, so I'm writing you what I did for the benefit of those who have similar problems.
Premise, the suspicion was that by itself, MacOS could not always identify the video card; System Report-> Hardware-> PCI was always empty.

The idea was to indicate the device to MacOS, acting in DeviceProperties, and things also change in system report.

resoconto.jpg

I start using Hackintool -> PCIe, list by Device Name and take a screenshot related to Navi, then click on Export and open it with ProperTree; keep only the entries regarding Navi (4 entries in my case) deleting other voices.

Add device-id (Data) and vendor-id (Data) to each entry with the data detected by Hackintool, copy devices in your config.plist DeviceProperties Add

prop.jpg

Reboot and … no black screen and faster startup procedure.

Attachments

• config.plist
    53.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Damn ... again!
It happens less, but ... it happens

baronerosso

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but after inserting SSDT-Plug.aml posted by @Shaneee in this post, my blackscreen issues are gone.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
If it happens again then try disabling the whatevergreen.Kext from the kernel and remove any WEG related boot arguments with it.

@baronerosso If you don't want to disable weg then you could also try changing agdpmod=pikera to agdpmod=ignore instead. (this works better for me with my Sapphire Reference 5700 XT but I'm using SMBIOS 7.1)

Last edited:

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Because of this post I decided to check if my system correctly lists the graphics card under PCI in System Information. It didn't, so I followed the Hackintool values > DeviceProperties route from @baronerosso and now it works, bit smoother to my eyes too (might be a placebo effect ;) )

However, my About now lists "Graphics: Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] 8 GB' (so the String value from config.plist). It that part freely editable? It now ends at '8' due to space restrictions and it looks kinda messy. Kinda OCD I know, but we all praise RetrictEvents for finally list our cpu correctly :cool:🙃

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Because of this post I decided to check if my system correctly lists the graphics card under PCI in System Information. It didn't, so I followed the Hackintool values > DeviceProperties route from @baronerosso and now it works, bit smoother to my eyes too (might be a placebo effect ;) )

However, my About now lists "Graphics: Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] 8 GB' (so the String value from config.plist). It that part freely editable? It now ends at '8' due to space restrictions and it looks kinda messy. Kinda OCD I know, but we all praise RetrictEvents for finally list our cpu correctly :cool:🙃
That’s not the only thing it will mess up, (Run Luxmark and check how your GPU is listing in there)
I am forever telling people not to inject device properties just for the sake of cosmetics but that’s what happens when you inject devices into the pci section. It always messes with something somewhere along the line. You are much better off not using device properties for pointless things like injecting names into the pci section and instead just use it how OC intended it and that way nothing will get borked for the sake of a pretty listing…

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Good point. I was under the impression this was a more efficient way of telling macOS what was where, but LuxMark listed it as a AMD prototype so that's not good. ;) It was easily reversed (kept WEG but added the ignore value) so I did just that. "Radeon RX 5700 8 GB" returned. Oddly enough LuxMark crashed initally, now lists "AMD Radeon RX 5700 Compute Engine".

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.