A bit lost on post-install: Gigabyte X570 Ultra

MartinW

AMD OS X Member
Hi everyone.

I should first say that this isn't my first Hackintosh, I've been doing them on and off since around 2010 and I recently converted my old PC (which was Intel) using a vanilla OpenCore. I also use a MacBook Pro daily for work.

I've followed the Dartania guide and got 10.15.7 installed OK. But I'm struggling somewhat post-install.

First of all, I'm using a Sapphire Pulse RX-580 for MacOS but I've also got a GTX-1080 in here for gaming on Windows. I'm having a very hard time hiding this from MacOS, although I have to say that I'm not 100% convinced it's a problem. The fan doesn't completely spin down though so if I can get it shut off completely that would be good. I have an SSDT based disable using the path 'SB.PCI0.GPP9' this doesn't look anything like the paths you normally see, but it's what both Windows and MacOS tell me so I have to assume it's correct. That patch doesn't hide the card from MacOS though. I've also tried using the new feature in OC 0.6.2 to disable it with a PCI device path of '
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x2)/Pci(0x0,0x0)' again, that doesn't work.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Secondly, USB mapping. I've not got to this yet but I'm baffled. I've seen this thread: https://forum.amd-osx.com/index.php?threads/amd-usb-port-mapping.915/ and I tend to agree with the OP, my paths don't even remotely match up, even in the types or the ports. Ignoring that and looking at the linked video, that makes sense but when I use Hackintool I have ports that I know are working in MacOS, yet they don't show up in Hackintool. All this makes me not really know where to start.

Finally, I only tried it tonight but sleep / wake? Yeah, neither of those work. If I sleep the computer (manually from the power menu) the screen goes off but that's it. I have to switch it off and back on after that.

Is there any chance anyone could point me in the right direction on some of this please?

Thanks,
Martin.

[EDIT] Sorry...

Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
AMD 3700X
2 x 16GB Corsair memory
Gigabyte GTX-1080
Sapphire RX-580 8GB
Samsung 500GB NVMe
Samsung 256 GB SSD
Samsung 128 GB SSD
Samsung 2 TB SSD
Hypertec 240 GB SSD
(Yeah, I know, a lot of SSDs !)

Also running two copies of Windows (1 for gaming, 1 for development) and a VFIO Arch Linux install which I'm planning on converting to MacOS

MartinW

AMD OS X Member
So, given no response on this I thought I'd post an update that should be useful to other people.

You can see my specific motherboard above. I have not yet been successful in disabling my NVidia GPU without causing a kernel panic on the AMD GPU. I don't know why this is, but it's not just me. I've had a couple of people on Discord look into it for me (thank you so much!) and I'm not doing anything wrong. My guess is that the IOMMU groups on this board are not entirely isolated and the disable is probably successful, but then interferes with the loading of the X4000 driver by MacOS.

If anyone has had success with this on one of these boards with odd ACPI naming then please respond.

So for now, my NVidia GPU is not disabled. It's not a big deal, it just means that it's not in an 'off' state and the fans are still spinning. Slowly. But I'm told that would be the case anyway if it was disabled. We will see how MacOS goes on this machine in general as to whether I ditch the NVidia card. Truth is it cost an arm and a leg and I rather like it for gaming in Windows so it will probably stay.

So, USB ports...

I've just got them working and fully mapped. The OpenCore guide is not desperately helpful for AMD users and is really pretty vague. I found this guide however:

All I can say is wow. That two part guide is fantastic, if the author reads this then thank you! It really explains things well and it helps that it's based on an X570 board. It's a different board so you can't just copy it, you have to actually go through things but you can do it in a way that you can relate to and makes sense because things match up with the reality that you see in front of you.

So I'm down to sleep not working, hand off not working and some poor performance issues which I know are being actively worked on by the AMD developers. Sleep would be nice to have but I can just prevent it from doing so. Hand-off is a novelty that I've never really used even on my real Macs so I can definitely live without that. My understanding is that I would need a supported Broadcomm chipset like in the Fenvi cards. I've got one of those cards in another machine but I don't really care enough to worry about putting it in this machine instead. We'll see.

Not sure at the moment if there is anything else I need to do. Time will tell if I ditch my Linux VFIO setup or not.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.