A better way to recover boot messages from a failed install

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I recently attempted a new clean install of Catalina, but got blocked after the successful install and first run setup. When the system does is final first boot into the OS, I get a system panic and reboot faster than I can capture the verbose logs. I have been investigating a more detailed way to drill into the trigger for the issue, but my system scrolls so fast that even my gopro can't seem to capture the last lines on slow video (literally between screen refreshes, so it is very fast).

I am able to recover and boot from a backup drive, but I am trying to find out if there is a way to use the command line "log show" commands to provide a log summary the way you can for your active boot drive, but on my "failed" now external disk. The logs I find don't appear to be that helpful and dmesg only shows the current system buffer (of course).

Do I need to swap out my OpenCore for a debug version?

I am using OC 0.5.9, Mac OS X Catalina fresh install 10.15.6

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Run this in Terminal and see if you can locate the error,

Code:
log show --debug --last boot --predicate 'process == "kernel"'

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Run this in Terminal and see if you can locate the error,

Code:
log show --debug --last boot --predicate 'process == "kernel"'

Thank you, this I tried, but because I couldn't get booted on that disk, my challenge is it shows me the details for the disk I did boot from, which isn't as helpful.

However, I was doing a sanity check on my config.ini and I realize that somehow I dropped the "debug=0x100" out of my boot args. So first I will get that back in and give it another whirl to see what I am missing. I have had this odd behaviour to my system since I moved to Mojave and OC that my system runs 99.9% perfectly, but every time I go through an update cycle, the final reboot that should take you back to the completed updated system gets into this panic/reboot. My work around, to date, has been to simply boot from my backup image drive, use startup disk to choose my main drive, then everything works fine.

It is likely something I have missed in my configuration, but I have yet to find it. When I attempted Catalina, I didn't have a backup drive of that system version, so my trick didn't work. Ah well, keeps me on my toes. Blessed are the backups.

pm

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Just an update for this thread, for the interested, a refinement of my boot args eliminated my issue. Thank you @Shaneee for your guidance. Catalina looks good!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.