6800XT upgrade from Radeon VII crashing

Technomad

AMD OS X Member
I've just swapped out my Radeon VII for a Sapphire 6800XT, having got OC0.7.0 stable under 11.4. Gets to the picker fine, boot process proceeds, then I get a whole screen of IOPlatformPanicAction -> IONVMeController + IOPlatformPanicAction -> AppleSMC. Then it reboots

Was working fine before swapping the GPU over. Works fine under Win10 & ubuntu.

Any thoughts?

TIA…

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Have you added the boot argument agdpmod=ignore if you are using the SMBIOS MacPro7,1 or agdpmod=pikera if you are using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1.
This is the only thing you need to do to get a Navi or Big Navi working.

Technomad

AMD OS X Member
Have you added the boot argument agdpmod=ignore if you are using the SMBIOS MacPro7,1 or agdpmod=pikera if you are using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1.
This is the only thing you need to do to get a Navi or Big Navi working.
Ah, v useful, thanks - I was using agdpmod=pikera - hadn't come across the ignore switch before! Many thanks for that. Now it's simply going black screen for about two minutes after boot, then appears just fine. Any ideas?

cheers and thanks again :D

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Ah, v useful, thanks - I was using agdpmod=pikera - hadn't come across the ignore switch before! Many thanks for that. Now it's simply going black screen for about two minutes after boot, then appears just fine. Any ideas?

cheers and thanks again :D
Thats weird,
Try going into the bios and setting your PCIe slots to gen3

Technomad

AMD OS X Member
Thats weird,
Try going into the bios and setting your PCIe slots to gen3
Funnily enough, Asrock appears to have removed that facility in its latest UEFI (I had it set that way for the Radeon VII). However… …a couple of NVRAM resets and it's booting just fine. Just got the small issue of sleep still not working and a new one - every time it shuts down, it immediately boots back up again. Hasn't done that before.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Funnily enough, Asrock appears to have removed that facility in its latest UEFI (I had it set that way for the Radeon VII). However… …a couple of NVRAM resets and it's booting just fine. Just got the small issue of sleep still not working and a new one - every time it shuts down, it immediately boots back up again. Hasn't done that before.
That’s sounds like a USB S5 state issue to me.
There’s one of two settings in the bios causing that.

1. ERP (Disable it)
2. USB power delivery in Soft off (S5) (Enable it)

Fix 2 is what needs to enabled on a ASUS X570 board, ASRock may have it named differently or not have the option at all. If it doesn’t have the option and ERP being disabled makes no difference then you need to create a SSDT and use a patch to fool MacOS into understanding the S5 state. Use the link below to get instructions on how to do it.

Technomad

AMD OS X Member
Braindead: w
That’s sounds like a USB S5 state issue to me.
There’s one of two settings in the bios causing that.

1. ERP (Disable it)
2. USB power delivery in Soft off (S5) (Enable it)

Fix 2 is what needs to enabled on a ASUS X570 board, ASRock may have it named differently or not have the option at all. If it doesn’t have the option and ERP being disabled makes no difference then you need to create a SSDT and use a patch to fool MacOS into understanding the S5 state. Use the link below to get instructions on how to do it.
Many thanks - will look at that tomorrow, after deadline frenzy passes. I have dramatically improved things, simply by remembering to create a new PCI devices table, to replace the one I had for the Radeon VII and its PowerPlay entry. D'uh…

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.