3x GPU set up

amdosxuser9

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi there, this is my potential kit-list (haven't purchased any of it yet).
I had a look at AudioGod's set up on this thread. Is there anything glaringly incompatible?
Thanks

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPUs x 3: Radeon RX 6800, Radeon VII & Radeon RX 6900 XT
Motherboard: Asus WS ACE x570
Screens: 1 Monitor (hopefully connectable via thunderbolt)
Wifi/BT Card: Fenvi PCI FV-HB1200 BCM4360 BT4.0 IEEE 802.11a, Bluetooth
MEMORY: 64GB

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No but you failed to mention a PSU. You will need a large PSU with additional GPU connectors to power all three of those High-End dGPU’s. Plus a lot of money to be able to afford them in today’s market.

The next obvious question would be why you would build a system with three dGPU’s But have only one display? Seems a waste of money if you ask me, or a complete ‘pipe-dream’ for a build.

Either of the RX6000 series cards would suffice for driving a single display, no matter what size or resolution.

The Radeon VII would probably be sufficient too and offer the possibility of running macOS versions prior to Monterey & Big Sur.

amdosxuser9

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
No but you failed to mention a PSU. You will need a large PSU with additional GPU connectors to power all three of those High-End dGPU’s. Plus a lot of money to be able to afford them in today’s market.

The next obvious question would be why you would build a system with three dGPU’s But have only one display? Seems a waste of money if you ask me, or a complete ‘pipe-dream’ for a build.

Either of the RX6000 series cards would suffice for driving a single display, no matter what size or resolution.

The Radeon VII would probably be sufficient too and offer the possibility of running macOS versions prior to Monterey & Big Sur.
Thanks for your reply. It's a bit different to a standard set up, I would be using the cards for 3d rendering.

I already own the Radeon RX 6800 & Radeon VII

At the moment I use them via eGPU intel Macbook, but looking for a more integrated system.

Would the Corsair AXi 1600 W 80 power it?

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

amdosxuser9

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need a minimum of 1300W for your proposed system. So the Corsair PSU would be fine with a bit spare.

You need to review your motherboard selection if your plan to use Thunderbolt for the display. As the Asus WS X570-ACE doesn't have a built-in TB port nor does it contain a TB header, which you would require for an Asus PCIe TB Add-on card.

amdosxuser9

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You need a minimum of 1300W for your proposed system. So the Corsair PSU would be fine with a bit spare.

You need to review your motherboard selection if your plan to use Thunderbolt for the display. As the Asus WS X570-ACE doesn't have a built-in TB port nor does it contain a TB header, which you would require for an Asus PCIe TB Add-on card.

Great, thanks.

Could I use a Pro WS W480-ACE? The Asus site says it has thunderbolt https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Workstation/Pro-WS-W480-ACE/

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

amdosxuser9

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
With an INTEL CPU, yes.

You would be better off looking at this AMD motherboard in the Asus ProArt Creator range - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/ProArt/ProArt-B550-CREATOR/

But as with all 'Desktop' systems they come with a caveat, which in this case restricts you to having only two dGPU's installed.
Ah 2 steps forwards, one step back. Perhaps I'll look at Intel after all. People seem to have a lot more success hackintosh on Intel CPUs

amdosxuser9

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Ok new list, going with 2 GPUs now - This good?:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor (£669.00 @ Box Limited)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£100.25 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus ProArt X570-CREATOR WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£370.49 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£280.79 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 520 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£225.49 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT GAMING OC 16GB GDDR6
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL ATX Full Tower Case (£177.72 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Platinum 1300 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£362.78 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 PST 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fans 5-Pack (£30.90 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £2217.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-11 21:28 GMT+0000

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes that looks ok.

With only 2 x dGPU’s not sure you need a 1300W PSU. What does the PSU calculator say? Power requirements have probably dropped down to 1100W, including a bit of overhead for any additional components

Not sure you will need the extra pack of 5 fans in the Fractal Design case, it comes with 3 or 4 120mm fans and the FD case fans are usually pretty good. The CPU radiator is going to take up any space along the top of the case, which means you only have space for one additional fan beside the PSU on the base of the case, and one at the rear by the I/O backplate. How many fan connectors are available on the motherboard?

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.