3950x - Big Sur 11.1 - Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 - 6900XT stuck (Solved)!

zambz

AMD OS X Member
Hi Guys,

Here is my config - very similar to olbo and others in the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 3950x
GPU: Asus 6900XT TUF OC
RAM: 64GB of Corsair GSkill
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
SMBIOS: Tried several: MacPro7,1 / iMacPro1,1 / iMac 20,1
2 x SSD, 3 nvme

I tried everything - followed the dortania guide twice, with 9.6.9 and beta 0.7.0.
Also tried several EFI's from this forum.
After tweaking with config quirks and debug I get it to the same point where I get stuck. I honestly don't know where the problem is - Attached the picture of the stuck point.
Also, when I change the files from com.apple.recovery.boot to Catalina, I always get it working. The problem is only on Big Sur.

I can attached the EFI's as well, but all of them get stuck in the same point.

Any hint for next step will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Alessandro

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_133713.jpg
    IMG_20210516_133713.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@zambz You need to use 11.4 Beta for it to work with a 6900XT using SMBiOS MacPro7,1. Support for big Navi does not exist for any earlier versions of Big Sur.
Also add agdpmod=ignore to your boot argument instead of agdpmod=pikera or if it’s a reference 6900xt or uses the reference PCB then you can totally disable WhateverGreen and remove any whatevergreen boot arguments.

zambz

AMD OS X Member
Thanks AudiGod!
I could not find the 11.4 beta to build the installation USB. I thought I could install 11.3, but with no GPU support.
I will try to use the adgpmod=ignore, at least to boot and install base 11.3. I will upgrade to beta when I find the image.

I will try and keep you posted.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Thanks AudiGod!
I could not find the 11.4 beta to build the installation USB. I thought I could install 11.3, but with no GPU support.
I will try to use the adgpmod=ignore, at least to boot and install base 11.3. I will upgrade to beta when I find the image.

I will try and keep you posted.
Try disabling weg to install 11.3. It might let you progress that way

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
If it helps at all you can grab 11.4 beta from gibMacOS but you need macOS to create the USB Installer.
Screenshot 2021-05-16 at 19.53.49.png

I would do it all in VMWare if I had to do it in windows.

zambz

AMD OS X Member
If it helps at all you can grab 11.4 beta from gibMacOS but you need macOS to create the USB Installer.
View attachment 3136

I would do it all in VMWare if I had to do it in windows.
Luckly I got a mac last week from work :)
I will download and start from scratch.
Thanks so much AudioGod. BTW, I tried your EFI too. I think it is the most complete.
I will probably use yours as base for new install.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Luckly I got a mac last week from work :)
I will download and start from scratch.
Thanks so much AudioGod. BTW, I tried your EFI too. I think it is the most complete.
I will probably use yours as base for new install.
Awesome, Enjoy buddy.
My EFI is perfect for your board, All the SSDTs are correct and so is the usb mapping. The only thing you need to add is lucyethernet.kext to get your 2.5gb port working aswell.
you can grab the latest version from the resources section on here. :)

I keep my EFIs all bang up to date and coincide them with opencore releases so the day 0.7.0 comes out it will be up on the thread within an hour or two. 👍

zambz

AMD OS X Member
Awesome, Enjoy buddy.
My EFI is perfect for your board, All the SSDTs are correct and so is the usb mapping. The only thing you need to add is lucyethernet.kext to get your 2.5gb port working aswell.
you can grab the latest version from the resources section on here. :)

I keep my EFIs all bang up to date and coincide them with opencore releases so the day 0.7.0 comes out it will be up on the thread within an hour or two. 👍
You not only the AudioGod, but also HackintoshGod!
Freaking awesome. I wasted 2 weeks trying and you just gave the right steps for it to work in the first step. Knowledge is key as always.
I will test things now and add the Realtek Ethernet as well.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Alessandro

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
You're welcome buddy, Anytime. :)
One last thing that I think you will like, Download the RestrictEvents.Kext and add it to your kext folder and config, save and restart. Then after you have rebooted check your cpu info in about this Mac and it should list your CPU correctly.
use this beta version of the kext that works properly,

uzikhan

AMD OS X Member
Hey
Could I jump on here and ask a question please, been having issue trying to install Big Sur 11.4 beta and now 11.5 with similar results. I get to the install assistant, erase the desired disk (APFS/GUID) and then go ahead select it to be the install partition, soon as I click continue the installer crashes and goes back to recovery menu. Followed dortania guide to a tee and this isn't my first hackintosh/ryzentosh either, been pulling my hair over it.

Specs
Asus X570-i strix
5950x
XFX reference 6900 xt
2 x SSDs (a) Corsair MP600 (have used this on a previous Big Sur install no issues and (b) new Sabrent Rocket 4 plus

I tried the tip of removing whatever green and agdpmod=pikera in boot-args

using macOS 7,1 smbios

help would be greatly appreciated, attaching the logs

Attachments

• Installer Log 21-May-2021.txt
    157 KB · Views: 1

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

uzikhan

AMD OS X Member
@uzikhan I have pretty much the same setup (just Zen 2 instead of Zen 3 but that should not make a difference).
You can compare your config with mine on my Github repo, maybe something jumps out: https://github.com/aluveitie/RyzenMacPro

I have a dedicated thread for that motherboard here: https://forum.amd-osx.com/index.php...-rog-strix-x570-i-amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt.1422/
Hey thanks for replying, I got it sorted! I did use portions of your EFI to true-up mine but in the end I think there was a problem macOS installer for 14.4 beta 3. I thought I was working with 14.5 installer too but in fact I was not, once used 14.5 and the same EFI I used with previous version of installer it worked perfectly fine.

Appreciate you responding.

Now I am struggling with dual booting windows 10 on a separate m.2 stick - windows installer keep saying it can't install :(

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Now I am struggling with dual booting windows 10 on a separate m.2 stick - windows installer keep saying it can't install :(
Windows wants your windows install to be on what it considers the main drive and if it doesn’t see it that way it’s tends to Chuck the error you are seeing.
My way around any problem like that is when I install windows I pull the MacOS disk out before I do. That way there can be no Issue. There’s other ways to resolve it but that is my personal preferred method.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
could you point me to the other ways you mentioned? I have just put this build together in a pretty difficult case (see my signature - am I still proud of the bad boy?!?!?) and to get back into it to remove macOS m.2 its an hour's work in/out.
Sorry my bad all the old methods no longer work anymore as quirks to fix it have been removed.
Your only option really is to do what I said.
Even the OC guide recommends the same fix now.

Quote from the guide,

Things to keep in mind:
  • Windows can be a bitch when it comes to multidisk setups (it freaks out when it sees a lot of EFI partitions on a lot of disks)
  • If the above happens, disable/disconnect all the other disks and install windows as you would normally do
I know it’s a pain on the X570-I but You got to do what you got to do sometimes buddy.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I just did a Windows install as I got a new NVMe for macOS. Installed the way I always do to keep my macOS drive safe. Attached the physical drive to a VMDK and installed Windows to my older NVMe via VirtualBox. Once first stage is installed via VBox I just reboot and let Windows do it's thing.
Only thing that needs changed after is the defualt selection in OC and sometimes the BIOS boot order as Windows EFI can set itself in the first position.
Also installed pop_OS! to my SSD in the same manner xD

Edit: Here's the tool to link a physical drive to a VBox system, https://www.whatroute.net/vboxrawdisk.html

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
I just did a Windows install as I got a new NVMe for macOS. Installed the way I always do to keep my macOS drive safe. Attached the physical drive to a VMDK and installed Windows to my older NVMe via VirtualBox. Once first stage is installed via VBox I just reboot and let Windows do it's thing.
Only thing that needs changed after is the defualt selection in OC and sometimes the BIOS boot order as Windows EFI can set itself in the first position.
Also installed pop_OS! to my SSD in the same manner xD

Edit: Here's the tool to link a physical drive to a VBox system, https://www.whatroute.net/vboxrawdisk.html
Haha, How smart of you. Now theres a alternative way of doing things when it comes to a windows instal. 👍

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
If it works. it works :ROFLMAO: But yeah it's a good way to stop anything happening to other drives/EFI partitions. Much safer in that way.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
If it works. it works :ROFLMAO: But yeah it's a good way to stop anything happening to other drives/EFI partitions. Much safer in that way.
Yup, That’s also why I choose to just yank out my NVMe with macOS on it. It’s safe and quick and easy to do and no harm can come of anything really.

uzikhan

AMD OS X Member
hey both, while I was waiting to hear back from you and being the impatient type I went ahead and tried win 10 install another time. But this time I did something different, I was previously not deleting EFI partition created by macOS when I erased the disk in prep for win 10, and time I deleted that as well as all other partitions on that second ssd, then a bunch of next next next and windows installer completed till the first reboot. I did this while being booted as UEFI not as other OS upon reboot I hopped back into bios and changed to other os and booted into windows via open core, installer carried on successfully.
then I hoped back into macOS mounted the EFI partition of the Macintosh HD and yep sure enough windows had created a folder there for itself, but no worries since I have got the following done from dortania guide (as of May 20221) (yours is the same @AudioGod )
  • config.plist settings:
    • Misc -> Boot -> LauncherOption = Full
      • Use Short for Insyde based firmwares, commonly found on laptops
    • UEFI -> Quirks -> RequestBootVarRouting = True
This means windows now can't alter my macOS EFI in way that will impact my OC boots.

must have rebooted back into macOS and win about a dozen times since, no issues noticed (except for a tiny niggle of OC boot options order, windows shows first and I want macOS first).

thanks for your help, now it seems there is yet one more way!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.