11.2.3 -> 11.5.2 OC0.7.3 Stuck on [EB|LOG:EXITBS:START], Ryzen 9 3900x, b450, RX 5700xt

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
Tried a fresh install from a usb stick using the vanilla guide after the regular update (just trying to update regularly in macOS) failed with the same error
Current Hackintosh is running 11.2.3 with OC 0.7.0
New Version was supposed to be 11.5.2 with OC 0.7.3

Find attached my error messages and EFI folder (will generate new serials with gensmbios afterwards)
Tried the troubleshooting guide as well as several online threads including disabling secure boot and switching around combinations of devirtualize mmio, xhci port limit, SetupVirtualMap and RebuildAppleMemoryMap

drivers: OpenRuntime.efi, HfsPlus.efi
kexts: AppleALC, Lilu, RealtekRTL8111, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen

Hardware Specs:
Ryzen 9 3900x
MSI b450 mortar max
RX 5700xt

The uefi is updated and the options are set to the vanilla guide requirements.

All most recent patches and kexts where downloaded today, if need be I can supply their versions

Thanks in advance for any hints or help.

If this helps I tried a similar "update" before from OC0.6.4 11.2.3 to OC0.7.0 11.4 where I ran into the same error but gave up.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
  • error_message.jpeg
    error_message.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 27

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
As above. Compare the UEFI -> Drivers section of your config to the Sample.plist and adjust yours to match.

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
Drivers The file structure has changed
I am not sure I get that. From the OC0.7.3 download the file structure seems identical. I had a look at the custom plist in the docs folder and saw the entries for UEFI -> Drivers are bigger than with my config.plist created from the sample.plist from the same download. I am confused by that, tried to change them to the other format but still same error after reboot.

Attachments

• config.plist
    32.1 KB · Views: 3
  • SampleCustom.plist
    44.9 KB · Views: 4

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Try this,

Attachments

• config.plist
    28.4 KB · Views: 17

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
Try this,
Just replaced my old plist with it, still same error. I have an errand to run so won't be able to test things for the next 1-2 hours.

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
Just replaced my old plist with it, still same error. I have an errand to run so won't be able to test things for the next 1-2 hours.

I just saw the vanilla guide is only updated for oc0.7.2 could this cause the problem ?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Try this. If that doesn't work confirm your BIOS settings as per the Dortania guide.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 23

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
Try this. If that doesn't work confirm your BIOS settings as per the Dortania guid
Tried this EFI folder first, then looked at BIOS settings, tried it again, no success. I am picking the right boot option so that bit of sanity is still left lol.

In BIOS I had everything set according to the guide:
Disabled Secure Boot, Serial/Com and Parallel port, CSM, resizable bar support (funny anyways on b450) but did not find a fast boot option, but from experience it should be disabled since I get to the bios and boot picker screens without problems.
Enabled Above4GDecoding, XHCI Hand-off

Sata mode is in AHCI, did not find an OS type setting either (though UEFI mode should cover that)

Legacy USB mode is on (board has usb2 headers) but not sure whether that affects anything.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@AudioGod Suggestions? Maybe I missed something here.

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
If that helps one thing I started looking into was the seal of the drive. When I try "diskutil apfs list" the system disk returns:
Sealed: Broken, but also Snapshot Sealed yes so I concluded that was not a problem.

I don't really know what to try anymore. I could retry the install with OC0.7.2 but I wouldn't know which exact kext and driver versions to pick to work with that. Also the fact that it has been stuck at 11.2.3 across several open core versions seems weird to me, but then again my approach isn't exactly guided by thorough understanding.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
I just cast my eye over your config.plist and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
Only thing that might be causing an issue is the SecureBootModel, Try setting it to j137 or Disabled instead of Default but everything else looks fine.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I just cast my eye over your config.plist and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
Only thing that might be causing an issue is the SecureBootModel, Try setting it to j137 or Disabled instead of Default but everything else looks fine.

It was Disabled before, I changed it to Default thinking that was the issue.

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
Yup, tried both of those to no avail. I noticed the problems with the drivers in the UEFI part of config.plist came from me using an outdated proper tree version. It almost seems as if the update is blocked in some way independent of open core. Have you heard anything in that direction?

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
Also considering my setup (running hackintosh on OC0.7.0 11.2.3 plus properly prepared stick with the above posted EFI folder): Is it possible the EFI on the main disk somehow interferes with the one from the stick or should they be completely independent?

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
Also considering my setup (running hackintosh on OC0.7.0 11.2.3 plus properly prepared stick with the above posted EFI folder): Is it possible the EFI on the main disk somehow interferes with the one from the stick or should they be completely independent?
Because for some reason next to the OC and BOOT folders on the main disk EFI there is an APPLE folder and I have no idea what that is doing there.

divisio

AMD OS X Member
Make sure it's not a 3.0 port and make sure ProvideCurrentCpuInfo is enabled with the edit for core counts.
I was banging my head for a couple days staring at that same log.

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
Make sure it's not a 3.0 port and make sure ProvideCurrentCpuInfo is enabled with the edit for core counts.
I was banging my head for a couple days staring at that same log.
Sorry for the late reply, I kinda threw in the towel yesterday. I now tried with one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back both with xhci port limit enabled and disabled and secure boot default and once more with xhci port limit disabled and secure boot disabled. Still always same error.
I did the CPU info thing before replacing the first 00 with a 0C for my 12 core on all 3 entries described on their GitHub.

Did you do the usb port mapping? I have not done that before.

divisio

AMD OS X Member
Sorry for the late reply, I kinda threw in the towel yesterday. I now tried with one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back both with xhci port limit enabled and disabled and secure boot default and once more with xhci port limit disabled and secure boot disabled. Still always same error.
I did the CPU info thing before replacing the first 00 with a 0C for my 12 core on all 3 entries described on their GitHub.

Did you do the usb port mapping? I have not done that before.
I didn't really do any mapping. There's a UEFI quirk about releasing USB ownership that could be relevant, but there's supposed a corresponding BIOS option that does the same thing.
I believe our mobos are good with the port limit. Oddly, I'd get random secureboot related errors despite it being disabled, so I sometimes wonder if that's just a catch-all error.
The good news is you can get past the picker, the bad news is it's kernel troubleshooting. I used SlowGeek to sanity check a few tweaks but had to ignore the report about Big Sur patches.
Since we're also talking latest, I can't help but wonder if 0.7.2 would be different. Between 0.6.4 and 0.7.2 I had to do some studying.

ImpossibleObject

AMD OS X Member
I tried another complete run through the 0.7.2 guide with the files corresponding to the 0.7.2 release date. Same error. It is really weird that all my attempts basically had no effect.

I think there has to be something else messed up. Do you guys know of anything that can happen with the disk that might prevent updates?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.