10.15.4 running fine, but I installed it on separate HD, after I installed windows.

racerblur

AMD OS X Member
OK, 10.15.4 running fine, but I installed it on separate HD, after I installed windows -- but I can only boot with my usb open core boot drive. So I tried copying my files (boot folder and efi folder) then I tried to copy the whole usb stick which includes boot.exe and EFI folder (which is what tired copying by itself to the EFI partition of the same drive I have a Catalina installed, but when I try to boot of that, I get blank screen a with __ underline or a cursor and it stays like that forever. What I need to do to get this boot without using my USB open core drive? I tried to find info online and maybe I doing something wrong. Do I need to do something to the EFI partition? Thanks you all for your help!

el_angel_caido

AMD OS X Member
Hi.

By installing each operating system on its own disk, two ESP / EFI partitions will have been created, one for each disk, then the boot of each operating system will, in principle, be on its own hard disk.

There you can also see the partitions for Linux, but that is not relevant for the case, except for the nuance that in the same EFI partition you can save the boot managers of multiple operating systems.

The ESP (or EFI) partition of Windows should not be touched at all, the copy from the USB should be made to the EFI of the disk that contains macOS.

Once that is done, enter the UEFI of your PC and look in the boot options for the EFI boot managers (I imagine you will have one from Windows and the other from macOS, well, really OC or Clover, it depends on what you have used) and choose the boot order.
In theory OC and Clover can see the Windows boot, but not the other way around, then the first bootloader should be the one that allows the Hackintosh to boot.

Another option is to press the key that corresponds to your UEFI to get the start menu and there choose which boot manager to start the computer with.

There would be other options such as using rEFInd or, as in my case, taking advantage of Linux Grub2 for the multiboot, but the situation is getting more complicated.

Good luck and regards. :cool:

PS: Sorry for my terrible english.

racerblur

AMD OS X Member
Hi.

By installing each operating system on its own disk, two ESP / EFI partitions will have been created, one for each disk, then the boot of each operating system will, in principle, be on its own hard disk.

There you can also see the partitions for Linux, but that is not relevant for the case, except for the nuance that in the same EFI partition you can save the boot managers of multiple operating systems.

The ESP (or EFI) partition of Windows should not be touched at all, the copy from the USB should be made to the EFI of the disk that contains macOS.

Once that is done, enter the UEFI of your PC and look in the boot options for the EFI boot managers (I imagine you will have one from Windows and the other from macOS, well, really OC or Clover, it depends on what you have used) and choose the boot order.
In theory OC and Clover can see the Windows boot, but not the other way around, then the first bootloader should be the one that allows the Hackintosh to boot.

Another option is to press the key that corresponds to your UEFI to get the start menu and there choose which boot manager to start the computer with.

There would be other options such as using rEFInd or, as in my case, taking advantage of Linux Grub2 for the multiboot, but the situation is getting more complicated.

PS: Sorry for my terrible english.
Maybe I did something wrong, because when I try to boot using bios boot order, my EFI partition of mac side doesn't show up. All I see is the whole drive, without any partition from the bios side of things. Should format all my drives and install with mac drive first? and then the windows side afterwards? I mean is there another way I could do this? I hate to have to reinstall my windows and mac all over again. I don't understand by the mac efi partition isn't being seen a UEFI? Shouldn't be?

So basically I'm still using my usb boot installer to get launch my mac os. I tried mounting the Mac OS's hard's EFI partition and copying everything from my USB to there, but it doesn't computer doesn't see the EFI partition of the mac side.

Thanks again for all your help!

I have bad feeling I'm gonna have reinstall something... or everything!?

el_angel_caido

AMD OS X Member
Maybe I did something wrong, because when I try to boot using bios boot order, my EFI partition of mac side doesn't show up. All I see is the whole drive, without any partition from the bios side of things. Should format all my drives and install with mac drive first? and then the windows side afterwards? I mean is there another way I could do this? I hate to have to reinstall my windows and mac all over again. I don't understand by the mac efi partition isn't being seen a UEFI? Shouldn't be?

So basically I'm still using my usb boot installer to get launch my mac os. I tried mounting the Mac OS's hard's EFI partition and copying everything from my USB to there, but it doesn't computer doesn't see the EFI partition of the mac side.

Thanks again for all your help!

I have bad feeling I'm gonna have reinstall something... or everything!?
In the BIOS / UEFI you will not see partitions, you will see the boot loaders (Windows style, Windows boot manager or similar) or a bootable device.
The disks are also seen without necessarily being bootable, although it will depend on the motherboard in question.
To view the partitions use the Mac disk utility or software like GParted.

Sometimes, or at least it has happened to me with OpenCore and other bootloaders, a specific entry in the UEFI is not added, but the entire hard disk appears with the option to boot in EUFI (as it happens with the USB installation of macOS).

If that is the case, choose the hard drive that contains the macOS boot (either OC or Clover) and it should load the corresponding bootloader, and from there start the macOS.

At first I don't think you have to format.

When installing on different disks, the order of the installation does not matter since each one will have its own EFI partition and you choose the boot from the UEFI.

If the installation were on the same disk, you would have to start with macOS, continue with Windows and, if that were the case, end with Linux. Personally I have tried another order and I have not succeeded since installing macOS erases the entire disk (I have tried to create the partition map by hand and delete only the partition for Mac, but it does not allow me to install macOS (neither High Sierra nor Catalina) since he needs to create the EFI partition himself so the only option he gave me was to erase the entire disk).

racerblur

AMD OS X Member
In the BIOS / UEFI you will not see partitions, you will see the boot loaders (Windows style, Windows boot manager or similar) or a bootable device.
The disks are also seen without necessarily being bootable, although it will depend on the motherboard in question.
To view the partitions use the Mac disk utility or software like GParted.

Sometimes, or at least it has happened to me with OpenCore and other bootloaders, a specific entry in the UEFI is not added, but the entire hard disk appears with the option to boot in EUFI (as it happens with the USB installation of macOS).

If that is the case, choose the hard drive that contains the macOS boot (either OC or Clover) and it should load the corresponding bootloader, and from there start the macOS.

At first I don't think you have to format.

When installing on different disks, the order of the installation does not matter since each one will have its own EFI partition and you choose the boot from the UEFI.

If the installation were on the same disk, you would have to start with macOS, continue with Windows and, if that were the case, end with Linux. Personally I have tried another order and I have not succeeded since installing macOS erases the entire disk (I have tried to create the partition map by hand and delete only the partition for Mac, but it does not allow me to install macOS (neither High Sierra nor Catalina) since he needs to create the EFI partition himself so the only option he gave me was to erase the entire disk).

Sorry, it did work... I forgot to copy the whole usb... I just copy the efi folder and not the boot. So it working. Thank you so much!

monneym

AMD OS X Member
OK, 10.15.4 running fine, but I installed it on separate HD, after I installed windows -- but I can only boot with my usb open core boot drive. So I tried copying my files (boot folder and efi folder) then I tried to copy the whole usb stick which includes boot.exe and EFI folder (which is what tired copying by itself to the EFI partition of the same drive I have a Catalina installed, but when I try to boot of that, I get blank screen a with __ underline or a cursor and it stays like that forever. What I need to do to get this boot without using my USB open core drive? I tried to find info online and maybe I doing something wrong. Do I need to do something to the EFI partition? Thanks you all for your help!

Get https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/multibeast-12-1-0-catalina.470/ and run it with minimal settings. It will enable your HDD to boot. However, it will install Clover as boot loader

Before you run ii, save your EFI directory form the EFI partition

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.