Search results

1. D

Finally...Big Sur success!

Could you perhaps share your EFI folder? Your configuration is the same as mine-- 3700X on X570, with a Vega 64 card. I've upgraded Opencore to 0.6.4, and updated all my kexts, and applied the recommended patches to Kernel->Patches, and run the Big Sur installer. After the first reboot, when I...
  2. D

Is there a trick to running Parallels or VMWare on Ryzentosh?>

The current versions of Fusion will not work on the AMD Ryzen; you'll need to get version 10.1.6, which is the latest that will work. This is a little involved: I had to buy VMWare 12, and then "downgrade" the license to work on VMWare 10. VMWare has a procecure for this (search on their web...
  3. D

The problem is that VMWare will not ask for permission to do screen recording, which is necessary for it to display the guest OS. I found this technique somewhere on the web; I did not originate it: " Hey guys. After hours of research this solution works for me: 1. Install VMWare. 2. Restart...
  4. D

I carefully went through the process again: 1. Boot into Recovery 2. Open Terminal and execute "csrutil disable" 3. Reboot into Mac OS. 4. Make three manual entries into the Sqlite database to give VMWare there permissions it needs, but doesn't ask for. 5. Reboot into Recovery 6. Execute...
  5. D

I wound up fixing this problem by restoring my Catalina system volume from a backup. Crude, but effective. All my USB ports work again. Of course this removed the Screen Recording and other permissions for VMWare, so I'm back to that. I do wonder what disabling and re-enabling SIP through the...
  6. D

As noted previously, I got it working by disabling SIP after booting from the Recovery partition. However, this seems to have introduced a new problem: about half of my USB ports no longer work. On my Asus Crosshair VIII Impact motherboard, the four USB ports on the rear nearest the edge of the...
  7. D

Hm. Noticed that when I booted, the recovery volume was listed as an option. So I booted into Recovery, opened the Terminal, typed "csrutil disable", rebooted, and was able to make the SQLite entries to get VMWare 8 working! Not sure why booting into the Recovery volume wasn't mentioned in my...
  8. D

A long thread on this here: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/613755?start=45&tstart=0 The solution involves manually adding a line to the internal SQLite database Mac OS uses to keep track of this stuff. Sadly, System Integrity Protection blocks changes to this database. So, turn off...
  9. D

Virtualization is turned on in the BIOS (I assume VirtualBox wouldn't work otherwise). However, any attemp to start a VM in VM11.5 results in a dialog box that says "The virtual machine requested power-off due to an error during initialization". This happens when I attempt to create a new VM...
  10. D

VirtualBox kinda works, but with Windows 10 the display is so screwed up and sluggish that it's unusable, even after installing the "accessories". I found VMWare Fusion 10, but it has an even weirder problem: Windows runs in the little preview view inside the VMWare control window; the actual...
  11. D

Hm. The VMWare website only offers Fusion 11.5, and that doesn't seem to work...guess I'll see if I can migrate a Parallels VM to VirtualBox.
  12. D

I have some Windows VMs I've been running under Parallels for some years on my Intel-based Hackintosh. I built a Ryzentosh a few weeks ago and was impressed with the performance upgrade of the 3900X over my Intel 9900K. Everything works great except...virtualization. When I try to open any of...
  13. D

No NVME Device Found

Well, duh. You'd think I'd have figured this out...
  14. D

No NVME Device Found

Well, I fixed it, although I don't know why the fix worked, nor why it got screwed up in the first place. As a recap, I was trying to include a new *.AML file, and editing the conguration plist to load it. I can see this rendering the machine unbeatable, but don't understand how it removed the...
  15. D

No NVME Device Found

Just now, and reset the appropriate BIOS things-- CSM off, "Other OS" boot, etc. One problem was that NVME was set to RAID mode. Turning this off allowed the NVME drive to at least show up in the BIOS under Advanced->NVME Configuration. I can even set either drive as the first boot drive in the...
  16. D

No NVME Device Found

I've got Catalina running on my Asus Crosshair VIII Impact board...but only if I boot Opencore from a USB key or SATA drive, because without one of those the system doesn't see the m.2 drive Catalina is installed on. I've installed Catalina on a nice, fast Corsair 2TB PCIE Gen 4 drive. Works...
Top Bottom