B550i AORUS PRO AX Ryzen 3700X RX590 - Big Sur

rushpracticesalmon

AMD OS X Member
So, here is my current setup and... first attempt at a Ryzentosh

• Installed OS : Catalina 10.15.6
  • CPU : Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard : Gigabyte Aorus B550i PRO AX (ITX)
  • RAM : 32GB 2133Mhz
  • GPU : Saphire RX590 8GB
  • HDD : Crucial P1 NVMe 500GB
Booloader is OpenCore 0.6.1.

What is working :
  • Everything but sleep and bluetooth. It goes to sleep but... I can't get it to wake up. Both issues are probably tied to USB settings. I should invest some time into that. Seems complicated.
  • Bluetooth works !
  • I haven't tried or setup iMesages as I have no use for it.
What I've done :
The Adobe trouble. Installing Adobe apps was a bit of a pain in the ass. Here is the process I used :
  1. Downloaded specific version using Adobe Packager
  2. Installed Creative Cloud as it's required to install Adobe apps.
  3. Quit Adobe CC.
  4. Installed Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign and Lightroom Classic.
  5. Ran AdobeAMDFix
  6. Reboot
  7. Ran the famous-patcher-I-won't-detail-here-but-the-name-starts-with-a-Z
  8. Uninstall Adobe CC
The "new document" menu is kind of broken in Illustrator at the moment. The fix is to enable "use legacy new document menu" in the Preferences.

Feel free to ask any question. If you have any pointer for the sleep thing, you're welcome.

Last edited:

rushpracticesalmon

AMD OS X Member
I started working on the USB Mapping.

Basically what I've done so far is trying to draw a map of ports. By plugging a USB stick an tracking changes in Hackintools
Capture d’écran 2020-10-12 134925.jpg

What puzzles me is that I can't get a couple of USB ports to show up at all. One of the blue ones for example.

From there I imagine I should clean the USB ports lists in Hackintool, export it, add it to my EFI, edit config.plist (snapshot) and I should be ready to go ?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@yicheng The controllers are the same, but it is unlikely the ports are the same.

blackduck08

AMD OS X Member
So, here is my current setup and... first attempt at a Ryzentosh

• Installed OS : Catalina 10.15.6
  • CPU : Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard : Gigabyte Aorus B550i PRO AX (ITX)
  • RAM : 32GB 2133Mhz
  • GPU : Saphire RX590 8GB
  • HDD : Crucial P1 NVMe 500GB
Booloader is OpenCore 0.6.1.

What is working :
  • Everything but sleep and bluetooth. It goes to sleep but... I can't get it to wake up. Both issues are probably tied to USB settings. I should invest some time into that. Seems complicated.
  • I haven't tried or setup iMesages as I have no use for it.
What I've done :
The Adobe trouble. Installing Adobe apps was a bit of a pain in the ass. Here is the process I used :
  1. Downloaded specific version using Adobe Packager
  2. Installed Creative Cloud as it's required to install Adobe apps.
  3. Quit Adobe CC.
  4. Installed Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign and Lightroom Classic.
  5. Ran AdobeAMDFix
  6. Reboot
  7. Ran the famous-patcher-I-won't-detail-here-but-the-name-starts-with-a-Z
  8. Uninstall Adobe CC
The "new document" menu is kind of broken in Illustrator at the moment. The fix is to enable "use legacy new document menu" in the Preferences.

Feel free to ask any question. If you have any pointer for the sleep thing, you're welcome.

Can you post your EFI? I happen to have the same board; however, I couldn't manually activate ethernet in the installer.

rushpracticesalmon

AMD OS X Member
Can you post your EFI? I happen to have the same board; however, I couldn't manually activate ethernet in the installer.
I'm currently at work so I can't post the EFI. I'll try to do it later.

Regarding the Ethernet, I did an installation without ethernet.
Only thing in my EFI is the LucyRTL8125Ethernet kext.

Once the installation is done, the "trick" I've found to enable ethernet is :
  1. Settings panel : Network
  2. Select your Ethernet controller. Normally it says (not connected).
  3. Hit "Advanced" and swith it from Auto to Manuel and select the values that correspond to your network. Mine is : "1000Mbps full duplex" (which is more or less regular gigabit ethernet), I left the MTU on default : 1500.

blackduck08

AMD OS X Member
I'm currently at work so I can't post the EFI. I'll try to do it later.

Regarding the Ethernet, I did an installation without ethernet.
Only thing in my EFI is the LucyRTL8125Ethernet kext.

Once the installation is done, the "trick" I've found to enable ethernet is :
  1. Settings panel : Network
  2. Select your Ethernet controller. Normally it says (not connected).
  3. Hit "Advanced" and swith it from Auto to Manuel and select the values that correspond to your network. Mine is : "1000Mbps full duplex" (which is more or less regular gigabit ethernet), I left the MTU on default : 1500.
How did you install without Internet? When I select install, OSX informs me that an internet connection is required for installation. I'm confused. I'm using a Ethernet Wi-Fi adapter to connect ethernet to the computer. In terminal I am typing, "ifconfig en0 media 1000baseT" and/or ifconfig en0 up" however, I'm still not getting Internet to install OSX. LAN is activated in BIOS and works in windows.

Last edited:

rushpracticesalmon

AMD OS X Member
Someone might have to correct me on this but if I remember correctly, you can install MacOS two ways :
  • With a "light installer" that pulls the installation files from the internet. This is more or less what the recovery mode does.
  • With a "local installer", with the installation files already on the USB drive.
Where did you get your installer ? You followed this guide ? https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore.../mac-install.html#downloading-macos-modern-os

blackduck08

AMD OS X Member
Someone might have to correct me on this but if I remember correctly, you can install MacOS two ways :
  • With a "light installer" that pulls the installation files from the internet. This is more or less what the recovery mode does.
  • With a "local installer", with the installation files already on the USB drive.
Where did you get your installer ? You followed this guide ? https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore.../mac-install.html#downloading-macos-modern-os
I was using Windows to make the installer (recovery OSX). Okay, I will try this method now using my imac mini - late 2014. Will report shortly.

rushpracticesalmon

AMD OS X Member
I used Windows as well to create my installer. I pulled the latest Cataline using GibMacOS as explain in the guide.

blackduck08

AMD OS X Member
I was able to install OS X using your method and everything appears to work. Thank you so much!

rushpracticesalmon

AMD OS X Member
Little update,
Since I'm using a lot both Windows and MacOS on the same machine. I can easily analyze issues by comparing the two systems behaviour on the same machine.

One thing i've noticed is that in MacOS, under load, my mouse sometimes lags or stutter. I thought that it was related to the mouse itself or radio interferences (MX Master 3 with the USB dongle). But, I never experience it in Windows.

Any idea. By searching reddit I've seen some people with the same-ish issue but no solutions so far...

blackduck08

AMD OS X Member
Little update,
Since I'm using a lot both Windows and MacOS on the same machine. I can easily analyze issues by comparing the two systems behaviour on the same machine.

One thing i've noticed is that in MacOS, under load, my mouse sometimes lags or stutter. I thought that it was related to the mouse itself or radio interferences (MX Master 3 with the USB dongle). But, I never experience it in Windows.

Any idea. By searching reddit I've seen some people with the same-ish issue but no solutions so far...

Thanks.. The mouse issue hasn't happened with me yet.

rushpracticesalmon

AMD OS X Member
Upon further research this might be related to :
  • Interferences from the USB ports themselves :
  • Probably the fact that I haven't connected the WiFI/Bluetooth antenna. So there is some radio interferences around the back of my motherboard instead of the antenna.
  • The weird positionning of my USB ports. I use a NZXT H1 case, the port are at the bottom of the case. Surrended by metal.
I'll try to use a USB extension cable to bring the dongle close to the mouse and away from those interferences.

rushpracticesalmon

AMD OS X Member
I started working on the USB Mapping.

Basically what I've done so far is trying to draw a map of ports. By plugging a USB stick an tracking changes in Hackintools
View attachment 1475

What puzzles me is that I can't get a couple of USB ports to show up at all. One of the blue ones for example.

From there I imagine I should clean the USB ports lists in Hackintool, export it, add it to my EFI, edit config.plist (snapshot) and I should be ready to go ?

Ok, I've redone my USB mapping.

Turns out my mouse problem was (very likely) to be related to USB issue with my USB mouse dongle being managed as a USB2 device on some ports, and being super erratic.

I was super dumb and wrong the first time :
  1. I did not account for both USB 2 and USB 3 behaviors. I just ignored it entirely. I recently received a USB hub that appears both as USB 2.1 and USB 3 device. It's super useful for the maping.
  2. I was very dumb and did not used the right files from Hackintool export. As far as I understand now, I only need to load the kext.
I've rebooted a couple of times and it seems better.

One issue, I can't get one USB port to work. The one listed as XHC0 PRT3 on the WRONG map above. It works in Windows but won't load in MacOS. No power, nothing.

I'll do more digging on USB when I have some time.
Also, I'll try hard to make bluetooth work because my mouse USB dongle hates me and has not enough reach anyway.

GioDude220

AMD OS X Member
Hi,
What is the famous patcher that starts with a Z?
Can you provide a link to it?
Thank you so much for your sharing your process!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.