Ryzen 7 3700x + Asus Strix B550-f + Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 8GB

Aniket_9723

AMD OS X Member
Hello Ryzentoshers, I'm new to this community. Want to learn and install macOS in this following System, but don't know where to start from. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Best place to start is with the OpenCore guide, which will walk you through identifying your system hardware, collecting kexts, SSDT's etc. required for running macOS on an AMD PC.

As a starter I have attached a revised OpenCore EFI that I created for another user on this site using OC 0.7.9. He had the same Motherboard, but different CPU and dGPU. I have therefore changed the CPU core count entries in the config.plist to match your 8-core CPU. Your RX570 dGPU doesn't require any specific fixes, kexts or other changes.

With regards obtaining a copy of macOS, my advice would be to follow the instructions in the OC guide linked above. Specifically the section on 'Making the USB'.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    25.7 MB · Views: 20

Aniket_9723

AMD OS X Member
Best place to start is with the OpenCore guide, which will walk you through identifying your system hardware, collecting kexts, SSDT's etc. required for running macOS on an AMD PC.

As a starter I have attached a revised OpenCore EFI that I created for another user on this site using OC 0.7.9. He had the same Motherboard, but different CPU and dGPU. I have therefore changed the CPU core count entries in the config.plist to match your 8-core CPU. Your RX570 dGPU doesn't require any specific fixes, kexts or other changes.

With regards obtaining a copy of macOS, my advice would be to follow the instructions in the OC guide linked above. Specifically the section on 'Making the USB'.

I already have windows 11 pro installed in current ssd. Do i have to format it before starting?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
A separate/new SSD/HDD for macOS would be a better option.

There are methods for installing macOS on a Windows drive (while retaining the Windows OS) but they are not as straightforward as installing macOS on a new/separate drive. You would need to read and follow the 'Multi-booting' guide if that is your preference.

Aniket_9723

AMD OS X Member
which available MacOs version is best suitable for my first build?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Catalina would be best for an initial installation of macOS. As you can then boot the system using the XhciPortLimit quirk, as this quirk stopped working in Big Sur and newer. You can also create a custom USB Kext in macOS instead of Windows, which should make live easier regarding this essential USB fix.

The Intel i225-v 2.5GB Ethernet port on your Asus motherboard will work without issues in Catalina & Big Sur, as long as you add the correct kext, patch and boot argument entries to your config.plist.

These are spelt out in the Dortania OC guide, in the two sections linked below plus the main config.plist section of the guide:

The i225-V port doesn't work in Monterey, so either a USB3 to Ethernet adapter or PCIe Ethernet card is required for wired networking in Monterey and newer.

I know some Intel boards could update the firmware for the i225-v ethernet controller in Windows so it worked in Monterey etc. The same may be possible for AMD board, but I haven't heard of anyone trying this with an AMD board. Below is a link to a thread over at Tonymacx86 relating to the intel Ethernet fix. Make sure you read the first post carefully, specifically the top section in Orange text.

The rest of your build should work just fine, with the standard Hackintosh caveat!

Aniket_9723

AMD OS X Member

Can i compare my efi and config.plist with yours? or should i upload it here so that you can tell me it is correct or not?

I'm confused and not sure about doing this work properly. And i don't want to do any damages/ ruin my perfectly working windows system.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Upload your EFI and I will have a look to see what might need attention.
  1. Confirm which version of macOS you are trying to install, as it makes a difference.
    • Catalina might be the best version to install in the beginning, as most everything works in that OS.
    • It will be easier for you to create a Custom USB map for the USB ports in Catalina, you need to do this before updating to Big Sur or Monterey.
  2. Are you planning to use the Built-in Intel WiFi/BT in macOS system or are you planning to replace it with a compatible Broadcom WiFi/BT card?

If you are worried about messing up your Windows installation, the best thing to do is temporarily remove the Windows drive, and install macOS on a separate drive. Reinstalling the Windows drive once you have macOS up and running.

Aniket_9723

AMD OS X Member
Upload your EFI and I will have a look to see what might need attention.
  1. Confirm which version of macOS you are trying to install, as it makes a difference.
    • Catalina might be the best version to install in the beginning, as most everything works in that OS.
    • It will be easier for you to create a Custom USB map for the USB ports in Catalina, you need to do this before updating to Big Sur or Monterey.
  2. Are you planning to use the Built-in Intel WiFi/BT in macOS system or are you planning to replace it with a compatible Broadcom WiFi/BT card?

If you are worried about messing up your Windows installation, the best thing to do is temporarily remove the Windows drive, and install macOS on a separate drive. Reinstalling the Windows drive once you have macOS up and running.
I have built EFI for BigSur MacOS version 11. but if installing Catalina will make my task easier, I'm ready make another EFI for Catalina and install it first and then update it to BigSur. Should make one EFI for Catalina And then upload it here for you?

Yes, I'm Planning to use the Built-in Wi-Fi card, as I have no experience in which one to use and how to change it. But again, if switching Wi-Fi card to make my process easier I will definitely go for it.

I'm not scared of doing long and time taking yet safe methods, but I'm afraid of Programming and scripting things and complex methods.

Yes, completely agreeing on installing MacOS on separate SSD. but do I have to clear or reset my motherboard BIOS for cleaner and safe installing (minimising troubleshooting)??

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try this EFI.

It has been set to work with an 8-core CPU, B550 motherboard with Intel WiFi/BT and run macOS Catalina.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    32.3 MB · Views: 7
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.