Tutorial New AMD macOS CoreCount patch Information

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
This is laid out in the AMD_Vanilla GitHub Readme but I'd thought I'd post here too incase of any questions.

Patches are now universal across 15h, 16h, 17h and 19h by utilising the OpenCore Kernel Quirk ProvideCurrentCpuInfo

Make sure to enable this quirk or the system won't boot.

This quirks provides the kernel with the CPU frequencies for macOS to boot.

Core Count patch needs modified to boot your system. Find the three algrey - Force cpuid_cores_per_package patches and alter the Replace value only.

Replace:
Code:
B8000000 0000
BA000000 0000
BA000000 0090
Becomes:
Code:
B8 <CoreCount> 0000 0000
BA <CoreCount> 0000 0000
BA <CoreCount> 0000 0090
substituting <CoreCount> with the hexadecimal value matching your physical core count.

Note: The three different values reflect the patch for different versions of macOS. Be sure to change all three if you boot macOS 10.13 to macOS 12

See the table below for the values matching your CPU Core Count.

CoreCountHexadecimal
6 Core06
8 Core08
12 Core0C
16 Core10
32 Core20

So for example a 6 Core 5600X Replace value would result in these replace values

Replace:
Code:
B8 06 0000 0000
BA 06 0000 0000
BA 06 0000 0090
Note the 06 for the 6 Core CPU.

It's quite simple but if you've any questions on how to do this simply ask.

Enjoy,
Shaneee

Last edited:

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
EDIT: I'll leave this up for my personal shame but I've completely ignored your BIG LETTER warning to enable ProvideCurrentCpuInfo. I was too focused on the patches to look any further. EDIT2: Works like a charm! Of course it does. :D

Curious, I've done it twice to be sure and tested the config on both my Catalina and Big Sur boot sticks. It doesn't go past the EXITBS stage. I have the Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor so these values should be okay, no?

Code:
B8080000 0000
BA080000 0000
BA080000 0090

patchesthingy.jpg

Only other thing I did was disable algrey - _mtrr_update_action fix PAT and activated yours. I'm not in a hurry to upgrade but I'd like to run the latest patches just in case drunk future me might press update. :D

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

savage001

AMD OS X Member
So we will need new nightly version of OC that includes that quirk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuliodomingos

AMD OS X Member
monterey e compativel ??e cpu de 4 núcleos ?👈??Captura de Tela 2021-07-28 às 02.42.51.png

Last edited:

elixir

AMD OS X Member

sac23

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
hello thank u Shanee for this but i do have a question guys I'm on beta 3 but whatever i do i cant get beta 4 to show up any ideas guys thanks

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
If updates aren't showing make sure SIP is disabled and you've got this in your config for csr_active_config.

@savage001 The quirk has been present with the freq calculations since 0.7.1

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi, i saw this tread but i don't understand what that mean exactly. What is the point ?
What improvement that is envolving ?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Hi, i saw this tread but i don't understand what that mean exactly. What is the point ?
What improvement that is envolving ?
The patches have been reworked so they are Monterey compatible and just better overall.
It’s worth doing bud.

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The patches have been reworked so they are Monterey compatible and just better overall.
It’s worth doing bud.
In 7 days the 072 OC will be available, then can i wait and to do all the stuff at this moment, or i have really to do it right now ?
And this is very important for people on BigSur ?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
In 7 days the 072 OC will be available, then can i wait and to do all the stuff at this moment, or i have really to do it right now ?
And this is very important for people on BigSur ?
Of course you can wait, Do whatever you like bro and the old patches work just fine on BigSur. 👍

iGPU

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
hello thank u Shanee for this but i do have a question guys I'm on beta 3 but whatever i do i cant get beta 4 to show up any ideas guys thanks

I've had the opposite observation from Shaneee and must keep SIP enabled to see auto updates , with csr-active-config kept at 00000000. This also assumes you've set up your system as a developer, allowing you to receive the latest betas, otherwise you'll not see any updates.

The image below from a config file for an X570 build shows the disable values commented out. They do vary with macOS versions, and this way I don't need to keep looking them up.

csr=00000000.jpeg

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
SIP is still enabled with what I shared. Some systems need it added there to work correctly.

iGPU

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi how you change the processor name ?

After enabling the RestrictEvents kext in the Kernel section (note Max/Min-Kernel ranges), enter revcpuname as shown below within the NVRAM section, editing the actual name as desired.

Kernel Section:
restricteventskext.jpeg

NVRAM Section:
restrictevents.jpeg

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.