Changed from B450 I to A520 Motherboard plus Ryzen 3600 Gen 3 now stuck on Apple logo

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
When I replaced mine I made the changes for the A520 to the EFI, shut down and swapped everything over to the new A520 board. It booted right up, all I had to do after that was map the USB, been working great! I upgraded from a Asrock A320 board with Ryzen 3600 to Gigabyte A520 with Ryzen 5800x. It's hard to troubleshoot over the internet sometimes, wish I could see it for myself. This is my 3rd hack and my second AMD, the first was intel. So sorry it's not working for you!
Yeah, I can't figure it out. Theoretically, If I use your EFI, leave the type as MacPro1,1 then change the serial, board serial and UUID it should boot. It's a mystery.

I will sort it eventually. It took me a few goes to get Catalina up and running. That was through trial and error but I had another working mac which enabled me to test changes to the EFO without needing to keep shutting everything down, change boards and test again.

Thanks so much for all your help though. I will let you know if I manage to figure it out :)

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I updated the Bios on my B450 I to the latest version but then it would not even boot into my cloned Catalina drive. It just sat on the Aorus logo. Had to revert to the F50 bios and then it booted fine. I did check the settings after updating the bios by the way. There is something very odd about my system and I just cannot figure it out.

I think I will switch over the A520 board and attempt a clean install of Big Sur and see how that goes.

Thanks for all your help, it is very much appreciated. I will get there, eventually :)

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I updated the Bios on my B450 I to the latest version but then it would not even boot into my cloned Catalina drive. It just sat on the Aorus logo. Had to revert to the F50 bios and then it booted fine. I did check the settings after updating the bios by the way. There is something very odd about my system and I just cannot figure it out.

I think I will switch over the A520 board and attempt a clean install of Big Sur and see how that goes.

Thanks for all your help, it is very much appreciated. I will get there, eventually :)
I updated my Gigabyte B550 Vision D to the latest 13i firmware and I too had issues. Aside from making sure your settings are hackintosh-compatible ie. SVM support enabled, CSM disabled, XHCI handoff enabled etc. the biggest issue is you have to disable Resizeable Bar in order to boot Catalina, that's what I found.
Also Catalina seems to have trouble using OC 0.6.8.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I updated my Gigabyte B550 Vision D to the latest 13i firmware and I too had issues. Aside from making sure your settings are hackintosh-compatible ie. SVM support enabled, CSM disabled, XHCI handoff enabled etc. the biggest issue is you have to disable Resizeable Bar in order to boot Catalina, that's what I found.
Also Catalina seems to have trouble using OC 0.6.8.
Ah, so it could be OC 0.6.8 causing a problem?

Not sure where I find "Resizeable Bar"? I have heard it mentioned before but I forgot the context or where it was.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Ah, so it could be OC 0.6.8 causing a problem?

Not sure where I find "Resizeable Bar"? I have heard it mentioned before but I forgot the context or where it was.
Yes, totally. OC 0.6.8 has a new redesigned from-the-ground-up boot picker (amongst other things) and I think that's one of the issues. Some folks have said they need to disable Whatevergreen in order to boot Big Sur. On top is Apple's new 'much-securer' 11.3 updates. It may probably cause memory or GPU freezing issues (afaik). As it stands I am still test booting 11.3 on my B550 Vision D and running into minor trouble at the mo.

In addition to the OC 0.6.8 update you'll know there's a new series of AMD kernels that need to be updated. You'll need to add these to your build, (not forgetting to update Lilu, AppleALC etc). > https://github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla

Resizeable Bar is found under Settings > IO Ports, (graphics section) basically just beneath where you normally enable/disable your IGPU.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
I updated to OC 0.6.8 with no problems at all, the efi I posted has the latest amd patches. Now that I'm done with my 12 hour shifts for a couple of days I will look into this more for you.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
vanquish, I updated my EFI the OC 0.6.9. Could you download it from my other post and try it with this config.plist?
I have confirmed my EFI is working with 11.3.1 and 11.4B2, alas, I formatted and reused my catalina disk for a different project.

Attachments

• Config.plist.zip
    6 KB · Views: 6

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
vanquish, I updated my EFI the OC 0.6.9. Could you download it from my other post and try it with this config.plist?
I have confirmed my EFI is working with 11.3.1 and 11.4B2, alas, I formatted and reused my catalina disk for a different project.
Thanks for all that. I have downloaded the files and will try it later today. Even if it doesn't work I really appreciate your efforts to help :)

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Ok, so I tried your files, and still the same issue. If I let the machine boot on its own I just get the Gigabyte logo and nothing else. However here's an odd thing. When I go into the bios and disable CSM, save and reboot, it has changed back to enabled in the Bios! Same with Above 4G Encoding. I set to disable, save and reboot and there it is enabled again. It is like my bios keep being set to defaults even though I have saved the settings.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
That could very well be the source of the problem!
I would try flashing the bios to the latest one. I'm using F13f, I haven't tried F13h yet.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I flashed the bios to F13H and still the same issue. The odd thing is any other settings I change in the bios are saved just fine. It is CSM that keeps reverting to enabled even though I have disabled it and saved it. Maybe I need to crack on a do a completely fresh install of Big Sur rather than keep trying with the Catalina drive?

I just cannot see why that CSM keeps reverting to enabled. I have never come across anything like this before.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
So here's an odd thing. I couldn't get the machine to boot using the A520 board. Tried everything but that CSM just kept switching back to enabled. All other settings remained changed. So I thought I would switch back to the B450 board in order to make a Big Sur boot USB stick but the CSM was re-enabled on that one too! However, I only had the drive with the A520 EFI in there, I had forgotten to plug my other drive in. When I plugged the other drive in and booted from that I was able to set CSM to disabled and it stayed that way.

So, I am thinking here that it must be something to do with the way Catalina was initially installed on that other drive that is causing CSM to be enabled again in the bios?

The next task is a completely fresh install. I have a new, clean SSD to try that with. Let's see how that goes.

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
What GPU do you have? If it doesn't have an UEFI VBIOS then CSM will automatically be enabled.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
What GPU do you have? If it doesn't have an UEFI VBIOS then CSM will automatically be enabled.
It is an XFX 7870 2GB. It is fine with Catalina and It is supported under Big Sur but, could it be an issue?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I used a 7770 for some time and there was no UEFI support. I got it to work with Big Sur by tweaking CSM settings in the BIOS.
Later I used a GOP updater to patch the VBIOS with UEFI support to disable CSM completly.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Ok but if there was no UEFI support for my 7870 wouldn't CSM enable itself in the bios? In which case I would not be able to boot into Catalina, which is what I am using at the moment.

The 7870 could possibly be the reason I cannot boot using the A520 motherboard. I have already spent a fair bit of money on this and the whole idea of going down the Hackintosh route was because it was cheaper than buying even a used iMac that would support Catalina and Big Sur. If I now spend more money on a compatible graphics card it starts to get to the point where I could have bought a real mac.

I have an iMac 27 but the backlight failed and a Hackintosh looked like a more financially viable route than replacing it.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Ok, so I tried your files, and still the same issue. If I let the machine boot on its own I just get the Gigabyte logo and nothing else. However here's an odd thing. When I go into the bios and disable CSM, save and reboot, it has changed back to enabled in the Bios! Same with Above 4G Encoding. I set to disable, save and reboot and there it is enabled again. It is like my bios keep being set to defaults even though I have saved the settings.
I think it may have something to do with an Opencore option possibly enabled/disabled that is causing this issue? Could it be to do with Launcher setting Full or Disabled? Remember, Opencore does write to the UEFI BIOS on the boot order.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I am starting to think the graphics card may be the source of the problem. I have been reading around various other forums and it keeps coming back to the graphics card. I can't be sure that is the problem. Also as I posted in another thread I now have an extra problem in that I cannot see the files inside the EFI on my boot drive and the cloned Catalina drive's EFI doesn't appear on the desktop when it is mounted.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
I think it might be a bad MB, if OC errors it will write that to the screen. The fact that it stops at the bios logo means that OC isn't even loading I think. Your installers, whether Catalina or Big Sur only come into play after OC loads.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
One way to test is to try booting linux on it, it's free to try. I use mint 2.0.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.