Bios Update - Clover No Longer Boots

zhutson24

AMD OS X Member
Hello, sorry to jump right in, but I'm having myself a rough time. My current system is a working Clover Mojave 10.14.6 build with a Ryzen 3600 on Asus TUF x470 Gaming mobo with 64 gb 3200mhz DDR4 ram and a Radeon VII. I purchased a Solo10G SFP+ PCIe card (https://www.sonnettech.com/product/solo10g-sfp-pcie-card.html) and it works on a thunderbolt 2 enclosure hooked up to my 15" mbp, but my desktop wont even boot with the card plugged in. I reached out to the Sonnet helpdesk and they suggested I update my bios. I updated to the most recent bios (5837) and it didn't work. Also, the bios update bricked my ability to use Clover to boot back into my Mojave drive. Windows still works just fine. I tried downgrading my bios, but I was only able to step back to bios version 5809. My Clover worked on bios version 5406. Any thoughts on how to first either get clover working again, or downgrading my bios to 5406, or converting my clover config to opencore? I tried afudos and that didn't work. Any and all help would be appreciated. Let me know if this is the wrong support page. Thank you.

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
If you've used Time Machine (on an external drive) or have some other recent full backup, you could try building an OpenCore boot stick, to see if you can get it to work. Then reinstall from Time Machine? But before that: remember any bios upgrade resets all your settings - I wonder if there some setting in there that you had changed before but is now preventing normal boot.

See recommendations on settings from the OpenCore guide.

Most people here use OpenCore (as do I) so I have no experience with Clover. If you are looking at having to rebuild a system, I'd take the (forced) opportunity to make the switch now.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
If you are using a dsdt then you’ll need to either update it or remove it.

zhutson24

AMD OS X Member
If you've used Time Machine (on an external drive) or have some other recent full backup, you could try building an OpenCore boot stick, to see if you can get it to work. Then reinstall from Time Machine? But before that: remember any bios upgrade resets all your settings - I wonder if there some setting in there that you had changed before but is now preventing normal boot.

See recommendations on settings from the OpenCore guide.

Most people here use OpenCore (as do I) so I have no experience with Clover. If you are looking at having to rebuild a system, I'd take the (forced) opportunity to make the switch now.

Thank you RyzeCooker. I've changed all the settings to their correct state and messed around with a couple new settings to see. I just get stuck on "End Random Seed" or whatever. I'm going to try making a OC USB and see if I can at least boot into my mac os drive, update the time machine save, and rebuild the drive with OC. I know it's something I've been meaning to do, but just haven't the time to do that.

zhutson24

AMD OS X Member
If you are using a dsdt then you’ll need to either update it or remove it.
Thanks, Shaneee. I'll try disabling any dsdt and see that helps. If it doesn't how would I go about updating it if my OC USB doesn't work to recovering my current drive? Thanks.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks, Shaneee. I'll try disabling any dsdt and see that helps. If it doesn't how would I go about updating it if my OC USB doesn't work to recovering my current drive? Thanks.

You mean switch to Clover? There's a guide on Dortania for switching from Clover to OC.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.