Temperature spikes Ryzen 7

mjgha

AMD OS X Member
Is it normal that the temperature should continuously spike like it does here shown in CPU temperature AMD Power Gadget.

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 10.50.34.png

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Your temps are abit high in general. Is that idol I’m looking at?
What cooling are you using? If it’s a Wraith Spire then you might want to consider getting something alittle bit better cos if that’s your idol temps then thats to toasty for my personal liking. It also looks like your CPU Freq isn’t clocking down. Are you overclocked?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe repaste your CPU and edit your CPU cooler fan curve in the BIOS.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 11.11.59.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 11.11.59.png
    279.8 KB · Views: 3

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Even when overclocked the CPU should be below 30W when idle as it internally saves power when there is low load.

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
A bit of a saw tooth is normal, but as others pointed out the temperatures could be better.

I use a Noctua cooler and have set my bios to prefer lower fan speeds over temperatures. This is my system under relative load (Photoshop, multiple apps open, music playing, remote connections to work machines et cetera)

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@RyzeCooker The idol power and fixed frequency don’t look to hot to us too.

mjgha

AMD OS X Member
Your temps are abit high in general. Is that idol I’m looking at?
What cooling are you using? If it’s a Wraith Spire then you might want to consider getting something alittle bit better cos if that’s your idol temps then thats to toasty for my personal liking. It also looks like your CPU Freq isn’t clocking down. Are you overclocked?
Ye I am using the stock Wraith prism cooler.. and was running nothing crazy when i took the screenshot. Thats why i was maybe thinking it could be more to do with not a proper CPU power management? I would assume this cooler would be ok if I was not running anything heavy..

Took another screenshot. Kept it running for a little longer. But it seems to hover continuesly between 40 and 55. power on average at 25-30w

And for sure not overclocking.

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
I think those coolers that AMD supply are just awful and would never use one on anything over 6 cores as the temps always fly way to high for my liking.

What motherboard are you using and have you flashed it up to the latest firmware revision?

Problem is though a lot of your cpu readings look wrong. Start off by updating that bios and see if it helps.

mjgha

AMD OS X Member

My setup 👆.

BOIS i was using the second latest firmware as i have having trouble booting with the latest updated

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
If you have windows installed Bring up HWINFO and run some tests via benchmarks and watch your cpu freq, temps, power draw and keep an eye out for Hw errors and make sure all is ok on that side of life.

rx3700

AMD OS X Member
This is due to Core Performance Boost. If you disable it in the AMD Power Tools, you can get rid of the spikes (and your fans ramping up and down all the time, which gets quite annoying). Youre limiting your CPU that way, but most of the time you don't need it anyways...

As for the Wrath Prism Cooler: It actually has quite a decent performance.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
I build a good few systems a week and I’m afraid we will have to agree to disagree on the one there pal...lol

Last edited:

mjgha

AMD OS X Member
@rx3700 This did the trick... now running at around 37 degrees... Cheers! @AudioGod also thanks for the feedback as well. In windows it was also around 37.

I am still considering changing cooler to make my build more quiet. Fan noise is pretty loud at the moment. Any advice? CPU and case fans...

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@rx3700 This did the trick... now running at around 37 degrees... Cheers! @AudioGod also thanks for the feedback as well. In windows it was also around 37.

I am still considering changing cooler to make my build more quiet. Fan noise is pretty loud at the moment. Any advice? CPU and case fans...
You can't go wrong with a Noctua Cooler if you want it done via Air Cooling and silence.

mjgha

AMD OS X Member
This is due to Core Performance Boost. If you disable it in the AMD Power Tools, you can get rid of the spikes (and your fans ramping up and down all the time, which gets quite annoying). Youre limiting your CPU that way, but most of the time you don't need it anyways...

@rx3700 Is it possible to make this the permanent status in AMD power tools? Ever time I reboot or wake up from sleep it resets to enabled...

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Not from within the app as it doesn't save it to the NVRAM. You could however disable CPB in the BIOS.

rx3700

AMD OS X Member
@rx3700 Is it possible to make this the permanent status in AMD power tools? Ever time I reboot or wake up from sleep it resets to enabled...
Not afaik. As Shaneee mentioned, you can disable it in the BIOS - but you will loose performance doing it (and not be able to switch it on when you need it without rebooting...)

The other way is to lock in voltage and other values which will run your CPU a lot cooler than with CPB enabled, check YT, there are some tutorials out there.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.