Finally ordered (2nd time)

ethan9482

AMD OS X Member
Hi All

So I posted a couple of months back as was planning build which I then ordered and cancelled due to a few things changing. It was really annoying as I got a lot of help and I haven't done a Ryzentosh before, only a Hackintosh which was a long time ago now.

However finally now got back around to it today and have ordered and now waiting for delivery of the new system. I have tried to spec it to focus on gaming under windows but also allow ryzentosh.

The one issue I have hit is the GPU, I wanted the 3070 and that is what is in the build. Fully appreciate this won't work with OSX and went into the purchase knowing that.

I have an RX580 sitting here now unused and in an ideal world I would put them both in and use the 580 for osx and the 3070 for windows however this is where the problem comes in.

From what I can see the MB I have gone with (which was limited selection) is the Asus Prime B550M - K which only has one PCIE slot that looks big enough for a GPU which obviously will have the 3070 in it when it arrives.

So my first question is, is there a way to still attach the RX580 alongside it (I am assuming not and it would involve a different motherboard) or alternatively is there a cheap GPU that you could recommend for using OSX which would fit in the MB, I don't do anything intense on it as all gaming will be on the windows side.

Obviously if you have any other ideas they would be appreciated! I am not adverse to replacing the MB when I get the system if that would be the sensible and cheap option but it seems a bit of a faff if it can be avoided.

Cheers!

Sorry to add to this, I have just found out about a GPU Riser which looks like it will do the job, would this still work with a Ryzentosh?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
You've only got 1 slot for a GPU there. That's the problem with going for a micro ATX board. If you can swap the board then you'd be able to run both GPUs with the 3070 disabled in macOS.

ethan9482

AMD OS X Member
You've only got 1 slot for a GPU there. That's the problem with going for a micro ATX board. If you can swap the board then you'd be able to run both GPUs with the 3070 disabled in macOS.
Cheers, that's the frustration I had, tried to look at swapping but all of the options they offered were single slot for GPU, I had managed to knock them down on price so much it was still worth it to take that hit and try to find a workaround.

Would the riser solution work - I can see that the principal should but I don't know how OSX would interpret it, ie would it just see it as being on the board as normal?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
A riser won't help as there's only one PCI X16/X8 slot. It would just extend the reach of the slot. Something like the ASRock X570M Pro4 has two slots which could accomidate both GPUs. You can adapt one of the X1 slots but I'm not sure performance or compatibility would be great.

ethan9482

AMD OS X Member
A riser won't help as there's only one PCI X16/X8 slot. It would just extend the reach of the slot. Something like the ASRock X570M Pro4 has two slots which could accomidate both GPUs. You can adapt one of the X1 slots but I'm not sure performance or compatibility would be great.
Sorry I am using the wrong terminology. Adapting the X1 slot was what I was meaning, I wrongly called it a GPU riser. I am considering that as a first port of call, the adapter looks to be around £20 and it would let me use the RX580 I have. Performance wise, it should hopefully still remain sufficient to do normal web browsing etc in OSX.

I guess I can give it a go, see if I can make it work and if all else fails strip the board out and replace it.

I will no doubt come back with loads more questions as it all arrives but thank you for taking the time to answer!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Due to the height the GPU will gain from the adapter you may need a riser cable also so you can still secure the GPU in place. Not sure if that would do the job though.

ethan9482

AMD OS X Member
Due to the height the GPU will gain from the adapter you may need a riser cable also so you can still secure the GPU in place. Not sure if that would do the job though.
Yeah I am just looking at the physical mechanics of it now and trying to see logically how it will all fit in the case etc. Might end up waiting until it arrives to see it in person.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Keep me updated. I'm interested to see how you get it working (y)

ethan9482

AMD OS X Member
Keep me updated. I'm interested to see how you get it working (y)
Haha you and me both! I mean talk about starting in the deep end.

Ive read the guides and followed a lot of posts on here so I have a rough idea but its still going to be an interesting journey.

Thanks again and I will update it as I get going with it - I need to get the hardware side sorted before I can start playing with installing the software is the challenge.

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Just for the record I have to say I love how helpful and committed Shaneee is. An true asset to our community!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The ITX boards I owned had the option in BIOS to enable 8x/8x bifurcation. That would allow to split the 16x into two 8x slots.
What I cannot answer at what speed they will be running, but I'd assume both will be limited to Gen 3.0 with the RX 580. That would cost the 3070 a couple of percent in performance.

ethan9482

AMD OS X Member
That’s interesting, presumably though with just one slot that’s not an option, even with an adapter to make the card fit?

I’ve gone back to the supplier to ask if they can source a board that has an additional slot before it is built, I think I may be too late I’m or they might just say no as it wasn’t an option before. Will wait and see what they say in the morning.

Update - supplier came back to say I was too late but for an additonal fee they would do it, wanted to charge more than retail for the board so I said not to. Will try the adapter first of all and if it doesn't work then consider swapping out the board myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.