X570 Mobo advice…

Technomad

AMD OS X Member
I'm planning a virtualised 3900X build under Catalina in order to test the water before lashing out on a Threadripper 3 system, so looking for advice on:
  • appropriate X570 motherboards that support Thunderbolt 3 & at least 2 M.2 NVMe slots
  • I'm planning an Ubuntu host, so KVM/QEMU or Proxmox (or indeed, anything else)?
  • I have a Sapphire Radeon VII - I've seen comments that this particular board may not suffer from the AMD reset problem. Can anyone confirm?
  • I will be multibooting into MacOS (most of the time), Ubuntu (less so) and Windows 10 (rarely).
  • I will need to run Adobe CS (Lightroom Classic and PS mostly) - it appears that virtualisation has far fewer problems with CS than a bare metal Hackintosh
  • I do need reliable Bluetooth
  • 10Gb/s Ethernet would also be nice.
  • Sleep would be nice too.

As you've probably gathered, I'm prepared to trade a little performance for boot flexibility, feature and reliability. Doable?
At the moment, I can't seem to find anything that supports TB3 (onboard or headers for a card) AND 10Gb LAN, without spending on e.g. an Asrock X570 Creator. As this is essentially a test build to gain experience, I'm trying to keep costs at least a little under control - I'll go mad next time.

TIA…

agent2

Donator
Donator
Hey there do you still need advice? Your thread is kinda old and I wondered if you already built a system.

Technomad

AMD OS X Member
Hey there do you still need advice? Your thread is kinda old and I wondered if you already built a system.

thanks for picking up on this - I'm replying from the machine I built :) 3900X/X570 Taichi. Working well under quad-boot (Ubuntu, Win10, Catalina & Big Sur), with the only issue being occasional BIOS resets when starting from cold, and a reluctance to work with the memory clock set to that of the RAM sticks (boots default at 2666 and seems to lose reliability if I up that to the 3600 of the Patriot Viper Steel RAM.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Regarding CMOS reset, first you could try setting the Quirk DisableRtcChecksum to true

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.