[SOLVED] Kernel Panic on reboot after apparently successful security update 10.15.7

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
So, my system has been generally stable and runs to all my expectations for day to day use. However, I have a nagging issue that only seems to manifest when I attempt to apply a major security update to the Mac OS. I am running OC 0.5.9, so a bit behind the current version, so I will roll up sleeves and do the regular cleaning house before troubleshooting in more detail.

I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction to see what the underlying issue may be, as I was able to capture the panic this time, but I am having some difficulty in determining if there is a specific kext or setting that is causing the issue.

Again, this ONLY happens during a system update, and I never get a panic or regular system booting or with day to day use. My system is pretty much fully functional, including USB, audio, ethernet, etc.. I am not using any WiFi.

I will share my EFI when I am back to my home system again and add to the thread. I have not been able to find much that was relevant related to the Fault CR2: error yet..

PXL_20201005_163025417.jpg

Last edited:

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
This is my current EFI, with the serial number removed and a screen shot of my folder hierarchy.

efi.jpg

Attachments

• config.plist
    42.4 KB · Views: 3

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Is there anything in the APPLE > EXTENSIONS folders? That would be my prime suspect. Later versions of OpenCore (I'm running 0.6.1 0.6.2 myself) have options like the boolean run-efi-updater so you can safely do without that APPLE folder. I can't remember when that was introduced exactly... (On my system, both the 10.15.6 and 10.15.7 updates went without any errors with that boolean entry set to NO)

Last edited:

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Is there anything in the APPLE > EXTENSIONS folders? That would be my prime suspect. Later versions of OpenCore (I'm running 0.6.1 myself) have options like the boolean run-efi-updater so you can safely do without that APPLE folder. I can't remember when that was introduced exactly... (On my system, both the 10.15.6 and 10.15.7 updates went without any errors with that boolean entry set to NO)

Good point. There is a file called "Firmware.scap" in that extensions folder. I don't recall exactly how that got folded into my development branch of my EFI.

Some searching on that it looks like run-efi-updater was introduced in OC 0.6.0, and hits for the firmware file seem pretty old. Smells like something unnecessary..

I think I am going to set aside time and do a clean build of my config.plist and EFI based on the current OC (long overdue) and investigate using SSDTTime to re-generate files for my motherboard. I believe I have been pretty good about keeping a clean config.plist, but I know I should have started fresh before now.

Thank you for the tip.

pm

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
It couldn't hurt, just keep a copy of your current working EFI just in case. 0.6.2 just came out today, so it's probably best to make the big leap, if you're going to do the work anyway. :)

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have learned to have backup EFI and a dev EFI that I work on. I always test booting on a USB key first to make sure I am not painting myself into a corner. Making all the mistakes first is a wonderful teacher.. ;)

Yes, I am working on 0.6.2 and I am almost there, but something is going odd with my Realtek ethernet so more testing required.

pm

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Ha, that's exactly my approach too. First test on a stick, only then change things on the boot drive. I use Lilu and Friends to grab the latest kexts. Switched to 0.6.2 yesterday and that went pretty smoothly. (y)

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I am running on stick with 0.6.2 now. I took a deeper dive into SSDT files and found out the one I had was the magic sauce I needed for my motherboard afterall. I also found that the newest Realtek driver 2.3.0 didn't seem to play nice with my setup. Those both take care of, I am running on a new OC for a few days to see how it goes.

I also have a daily backup with CarbonCopy Cloner of my whole boot disk, plus EFI, which has saved my bacon more times than I care to admit. I have clients ask me about setting up a Hackintosh for them and I just laugh at them...

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@RyzeCooker, my friend, your tip finally cleared this issue for me. Officially got updated to 10.15.7 with no issues under OC 0.6.2. That old Apple firmware file appears to have been at least part of the issue, and now I have a nice clean and up to date system.

Thank you kindly!

pm

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
:) So glad to hear it! Also happy the jump to the latest OpenCore went smoothly. Enjoy your panic free system!

Hbg1968

AMD OS X Member
@RyzeCooker, my friend, your tip finally cleared this issue for me. Officially got updated to 10.15.7 with no issues under OC 0.6.2. That old Apple firmware file appears to have been at least part of the issue, and now I have a nice clean and up to date system.

Thank you kindly!

pm
Hi, Great Stuff that it was successful. If you can please edit the title to include [SOLVED] at the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.