Big Sur Beta 8

Neckbeard

AMD OS X Member
Beta 8 dropped and it seems it requires the full 12gb download instead of a delta from Beta 7.

I tried running the installer from the desktop, but it complained that my Big Sur disk:

Code:
The volume can not be used because it is not snapshot booted

I created an installer USB from the Beta 8 installer and the installation took a while and a few restarts, but was less drama than Beta 7.

I am using the MacPro7,1 profile.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.19.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.19.13 PM.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 64

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Unfortunately, the full installer for Beta 8 is not yet available. Build 20A5364e is the previous public beta.

The new public beta build number is 20A5374i.

To install Beta #8 directly from within macOS, simply update your kernel patches to the latest experimental ones located here:

Here's my Gigabyte B550 Vision D after the Beta 8 update:

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.16.24 PM.png

Last edited:

Neckbeard

AMD OS X Member
Unfortunately, the full installer for Beta 8 is not yet available. Build 20A5364e is the previous public beta.

The new public beta build number is 20A5374i.

To install Beta #8 directly from within macOS, simply update your kernel patches to the latest experimental ones located here:

So I ran software update and it said Beta 8 was available as a delta. Weird. The full installer said Beta 8 on it. I had a lot of Issues with B7, so that may have required a full install of the latest available build.

Update ran ok and I'm on 205374i now.

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
Used software update to update to beta 8 from beta 6. Couple of restarts later and the walmart special Ryzentosh is good to go it seems.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.48.34 AM.png

htanh034

AMD OS X Member
Beta 8 is good :cool::cool::cool:Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 20.06.10.png

Infinity

AMD OS X Member
Beta 8 dropped and it seems it requires the full 12gb download instead of a delta from Beta 7.

I tried running the installer from the desktop, but it complained that my Big Sur disk:

Code:
The volume can not be used because it is not snapshot booted

I created an installer USB from the Beta 8 installer and the installation took a while and a few restarts, but was less drama than Beta 7.

I am using the MacPro7,1 profile.

You change SecureBootModel to Disable as shown below, you will be able to update to Beta 8.

Misc / Security / SecureBootModel --> Disabled

Attachments

• 1600872359578.png
    1600872359578.png
    504.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
Setting SecureBootModel to Disabled got me a Delta update - thanks :)

During the update the final phase did not have a progress bar. Just a black screen. I could see it was doing stuff as the hard drive indicator was going nuts. I waited 10 minutes for the disk light to stop blinking like mad on my case, and then typed my password. It logged in, still to a blank screen, but it came up as a lighter shade of black, if you could call it that. I then hit my hotkeys to bring up a terminal, blindly typed in "sudo reboot" and it rebooted normally, and here I am.

TL: DR: if you get a blank screen in stage 3, wait 15 minutes then type your password, then use the volume buttons on your keyboard or the play button to start Musci to see if the machine is responsive. If so, initiate a restart. It should come good.

I'll check my kexts to see if they are out of date.

edit: all up to date - must have been a random glitch.

Last edited:

sos86

AMD OS X Member
My update from beta 6 to beta 8 froze on the black screen with the white apple icon on reboot (openCore 0.61, latest patches).

Ended out reinstalling beta 4 using my USB install drive, then tried updating again & it worked. Either a glitch in the download or unpack, or I hadn't copied the patches into my config.plist properly the first time. All good now on beta 8 (3700x, RX580, x470 PRIME).

Phoenix

AMD OS X Member
Hi,

what did you do besides the new Kernel patches that the update from Beta 6 to Beta 8 worked?

I put in the newest Kexts, OpenCore 062 and the latest AMD Expirental Patch but it stops booting at EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START

sos86

AMD OS X Member
OpenCore 062 and the latest AMD Expirental Patch but it stops booting at EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START

No special kexts, just the kernel patches (OC 0.61). Perhaps you've got some error or typo in your "Expirental" patches?

vk2emp

AMD OS X Member
I noticed with the latest patches that I get an OC error on booting, something about Arch. The first four patches have this statement. I remove the Arch lines and it went away. The machine still started fine with those erroneous entries, parhaps yours is coughing on that?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.