Catalina 10.15.6 | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Ryzen 7 3700X | RX 5700 XT | 32 GB 3200 CL16 | Thunderbolt 3 via AIC | Bluetooth USB-BT400

alex-k

AMD OS X Member
Update 15.09.2020:
  • upgrade to OpenCore v0.6.1
    • Notes: sleep works fine without any additional patches / USB port mapping
  • thunderbolt 3 connectivity via a PCIe add-in card GC-Titan Ridge rev. 2.0 (modified firmware 'NVM23-Elias64Fr')
    • HW: PCIe x4 slot is required (had to uninstall the second NVMe SSD because of PCIe switch with lanes sharing), connection to 5-pin THB_C and USB 2.0 mother board headers
    • BIOS:
      • the settings 'Above 4G Decoding' enabled AND 'CSM support' disabled are mandatory for thunderbolt SSDT (otherwise you will get kernel panic during booting)
      • Thunderbolt settings: 'USB Type-C with TitanRidge Support' enabled, 'Security Level' = 'No Security'
    • flashed firmware is required to get all advanced thunderbolt features working on hackintosh (hot-plugging, eGPU, target disk mode, etc.), however the flashed card won't be working properly on Windows (no Windows drivers for the modified firmware available)
    • the modified firmware 'GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr' seems to be the best a.t.m. (also tried 'GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ', but couldn't get titan ridge XHC USB controller working)
    • flashing guide (I used exactly the same Arceli CH341a programmer and it works fine). Be sure to store a backup of original firmware before flashing.
    • SSDT guide to activate the card with modified firmware and to inject a DROM with a unique UID. 'SSDT-TB3' from the attached EFI below can be used, but you may want to replace the DROM section with your own (e.g. the online tool HackinDROM can be conveniently used for that)
    • thunderbolt also can generally be used with unmodified native firmware, but it would work only limited then (prior activation of the card with Windows is required, warm-boot, no hot-plug, stability issues...): link1, link2
    • Notes: tested with UA Apollo Twin X (in Logic) and CalDigit TS3 Plus. Everything seems to be working fine including hot plug, sleep/wake, shut down, warm/cold boot. However I haven't tested any advanced thunderbolt 3 features like eGPU or target disk mode so far.
    • Benchmarks:
      • Logic Pro X benchmark project: 136 tracks @ 64 samples / 48 kHz (active plug-ins per track: Sculpture, ChannelEQ, Multipressor, Chorus, AutoFilter, and PlatinumVerb)
sys_info_tb3.png
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi everyone,

finally I managed to setup and test my new Ryzentosh system based on a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro motherboard and would like to share here my experience on that. Everything seems to be working stable including sleep/wake. I haven't experienced any freezes / kernel panics so far. Even my ancient class-non-compliant USB audio interface Zoom R24 works (and sleeps) on Catalina without any hassle. Internal and HDMI audio also works as expected.

I'm very impressed by how well nowadays a hackintosh system can work on a natively unsupported AMD platform: Thanks to all the developers and contributors in this great community!

HW specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO
  • RAM: 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit
  • GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Storage: 970 EVO plus M.2 (bottom PCIe v3.0 slot for MacOS) SSD 500GB, 970 EVO plus M.2 SSD 1TB (dual boot), MX500 SATA SSD 1TB
  • LAN: RTL8125
  • Sound: ALC1220, USB, HDMI, UA Apollo Twin X
  • CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2
  • Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower
  • Display: Samsung Q90R 55" TV, 4k / 60Hz, HDMI
  • Thunderbolt: GC-Titan Ridge rev. 2.0 AIC (flashed with modified NVM23 firmware)

Operating systems:
  • Installed Operating Systems: Catalina 10.15.6, Windows 10 Pro
  • Bootloader: OpenCore v0.5.9, v0.6.1 (boot-args: debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 npci=0x2000 alcid=1 agdpmod=pikera)
  • SMBIOS: iMacPro1,1

Bios:
  • Version: F3 (AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.0.0.2)
  • Major settings to be changed based on the default optimal settings:
    • deactivate I2C and ESPI (essential to solve the random freeze problem)
    • if applicable, set PCIe slot to Gen4 instead of Auto (may contribute to a better stability)
    • enable X.M.P. memory profile
    • disable trusted computing
    • disable wake and boot over LAN
    • enable power loading in Platform Power settings (may contribute to a better stability)
    • setup fan profiles
  • Other relevant default settings:
    • Above 4G Decoding: disabled (for thunderbolt this must be enabled!)
    • XHCI Hand-off: enabled
    • HPET: enabled
    • CSM support: enabled (for thunderbolt this must be disabled!)

MacOS Installer:
  • For OTA installation: Ethernet has to be manually configured to connection speed of 1Gb by typing in MacOS Installers' console:
    ifconfig en0 media 1000baseT

Applied patches and fixes:
  • Processors:
    • SSDT-CPUR.aml to introduce ACPI processor objects (special thanks to XLNC for discovering and patching this)
  • Power management:
    • OpenCore's DummyPowerManagement
    • SSDT-EC-USBX.aml for fake EC and USB power management
    • SSDT-PLUG.aml for Xnu CPU Power Management
  • Fixing SMBus controller and HPET timer: SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml, SSDT-HPET.aml
  • USB mapping:
    • all USB controllers (this board has only two: XHC0 and PTXH) are basically working ootb, port limit is not required
    • XHC0 may require additional port mapping (property injection via USBPorts.kext)
  • Sleep:
    • currently AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext and SMCAMDProcessor.kext would stop sleep working on my system, also I experienced worse overall performance with them
    • injected some USB power management properties in USBPorts.kext (however they might be irrelevant for sleep)
    • NVMeFix.kext
    • sleep and wake seem to work stable on all USB ports (tested with a keyboard/mouse, USB 2.0 / 3.0 flash drives, an audio interface, USB 2.0 / 3.0 hubs, MIDI interfaces)
    • charging iPhone and iPad over USB works (charging status is also indicated in the System Information app)
  • Kexts:
    • Lilu, VirtualSMC, AppleMCEReporterDisabler, AppleALC, LucyRTL8125Ethernet, WhateverGreen, NVMeFix, USBPorts

Post-install:
  • NVMe: properties in DeviceProperties section of config.plist to indicate both NVMe drives as internal ones (you may want to delete unused dictionary entries if only one or no NVMe SSDs are installed)
  • SMBios: generate your own platform serial numbers for iMacPro1,1 (e.g. with GenSMBIOS)
  • Move your OpenCore EFI folder to a MacOS drive: Moving OpenCore from USB to macOS Drive

Benchmarks (without any overclocking):
  • Geekbench 5.2.3:
    • CPU: 1326 / 9246
    • Metal: 44311
    • OpenCL: 38444
  • Cinebench R20: 5006
  • Notes:
    • The system works quite silent even under a heavy CPU load (provided the fan profiles are configured accordingly in the BIOS)
    • GPU-based compute benchmark results could be notably higher compared to the Windows platform. Unfortunately, RadeonBoost.kext doesn't support Navi10 starting from macOS 10.15.5.

References:

In the end, this motherboard model appears to be very capable for hackintoshing and I could really recommend it to everyone who would like to build their own Ryzentosh. Feel free to try the attached EFI folder.

Best regards, Alex

Attachments

• EFI_gigabyte_b550_aorus_pro_oc_v0.5.9.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 320
  • EFI_gigabyte_b550_aorus_pro_tb3_oc0.6.1.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Flexarius

AMD OS X Member
Hi,

your ACPI Files are only for your Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO or can i use it for my Asus B550 Strix?

SSDT-CPUR.aml - B550 Fix

SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
SSDT-PLUG.aml
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml
SSDT-HPET.aml

Thank you

alex-k

AMD OS X Member
Hi,

your ACPI Files are only for your Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO or can i use it for my Asus B550 Strix?

SSDT-CPUR.aml - B550 Fix

SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
SSDT-PLUG.aml
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml
SSDT-HPET.aml

Thank you

Hi, I'm not sure for SSDT-SBUS-MCHC and SSDT-HPET, since your DSDT might be different. You should check whether '_SB.PCI0.D02C' and 'HPET' devices are existing on your board.
SSDT-CPUR, SSDT-PLUG, and SSDT-EC-USBX should be fine.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Interesting, fixing SMBus controller with the SSDT-SBUS-MCHC breaks sleep on my X570 board.

I saw you did not map the ports PTXH ports?

alex-k

AMD OS X Member
Interesting, fixing SMBus controller with the SSDT-SBUS-MCHC breaks sleep on my X570 board.

I saw you did not map the ports PTXH ports?

On this board sleep seems to be working fine with SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.
Yes, I left PTXH controller untouched, as it was working well without any mapping (at least for my usb devices). All PTXH ports were also indicated correctly in the Hackintool / IORegistryExplorer.

blackduck08

AMD OS X Member
I can't get Ethernet to work using the command (ifconfig en0 media 1000baseT) in the OSX installer. I have the Gigabyte B550 Mini-ITX AORUS. Any ideas?

alex-k

AMD OS X Member
I can't get Ethernet to work using the command (ifconfig en0 media 1000baseT) in the OSX installer. I have the Gigabyte B550 Mini-ITX AORUS. Any ideas?
@blackduck08: you could check the name of your ethernet device in installer's network utility. in your case the name could be e.g. 'en1' instead of 'en0'. Just open the network utility, the ethernet device should be listed there. It'll be inactive and can be activated then via console.

sesewolf

AMD OS X Member
Hi, I'm setting up B550M Aorus Pro board with 3700x here. Can you explain why you have CSM enabled ? Guide points:
  • Compatibility Support Module (CSM)(Must be off, GPU errors like gIO are common when this option in enabled)
but I'm trying to understand every crucial step.

alex-k

AMD OS X Member
@Potato007: I don't know, I haven't tried any VM software on this system yet...
@sesewolf: Windows boots notably slower with CSM disabled, so I left it enabled. I haven't notice any problems by doing so (at least with my GPU).

blackduck08

AMD OS X Member
Ethernet still doesn't work for me. EN0 is the device name however ethernet is not activating so I can install OSX.

alex-k

AMD OS X Member
@blackduck08 : make sure, that the lan is activated in BIOS, does ethernet work on Windows? If it is not working, you could try to use a USB ethernet adapter or try to make installer with complete MacOS image according to this guide, so that no download is required (however you would need a running MacOS for that)

alex-k

AMD OS X Member
@dangthaison91: your config.plist seems to have a problem, try to change the following settings (marked red):
Screenshot 2020-09-16 231712.png
Also make sure, that all your kexts are properly loaded (the format that you are using seems to be different). You could use the ProperTree tool to automatically generate settings for your ACPI and kexts files (commands 'OC snapshot' and 'OC clean snapshot'). You could also delete all the entries in the 'Tools' section of your config.plist.

dangthaison91

AMD OS X Member
@alex-k I tried both your EFI and config my own EFI from scratch but still faced the same error. Changed as your suggestion but still not work.

alex-k

AMD OS X Member

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 61

alex-k

AMD OS X Member
@Geph0rce it must be in BIOS (advanced mode) under Settings -> AMD CBS -> FCH Common Options

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Update 15.09.2020:

In the end, this motherboard model appears to be very capable for hackintoshing and I could really recommend it to everyone who would like to build their own Ryzentosh. Feel free to try the attached EFI folder.

Best regards, Alex
Great job Alex. I used this posting to successfully set up a similar Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite rig. Besides having to recreate the USBPorts.kext everything worked using your EFI. Bios settings I was able to stay with the generic settings and have no freezes

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.