X570 + GC-TitanRidge + LG5K at full 5K resolution

Rze

AMD OS X Member
Hi everyone. I'm a complete newbie in building a hackintosh (it's been an exciting journey so far). My setup is made of a GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO with 3900x CPU, a Sapphire 580, a Fenvi 919 (BCM94360CD) BT/Wifi card. I followed the information on "Dortania" tutorial to install it (straightfoward AMD config, OpenCore 0.5.9, no customisation so far beyond AMD requirements), and it's booting and doing great including BT/Wifi (apart from sleep/crash, I'm aware I've got homework to do there).

As a next step, I wanted to make it work on LG 5K display at full resolution (as opposed to 4K) by using a GC-TitanRidge AIC. I see a lot of information, some old, some new, including people flashing the AIC, and I'd like to know what the status is for this kind of setup in 2020/08.

My motherboard does not have the TBH_C connector but just the solder points (unusable), yet the BIOS mentions has a "Tbt" option (I suspect trademark issues). However, when I plugged the card initially, the BIOS wouldn't list it as a detected card in the PCI device window. I went through forums and plugged the pin 1 and 3 on the AIC (header connector), and then the card was detected by the BIOS. AIC Power and USB header are also connected to the motherboard. I plugged the 2 cables from GPU DPOUT to DPIN on the AIC, and plugged the LG5K to the thunderbolt port of the AIC. When starting the PC, the launch screen appears on the display, and then it boots normally into Mac OS. What I noticed then is that the display in Mac OS was running in 4K instead of 5K (slightly blurred when compared to the actual full resolution). USB components are detected (display sound in/out). I went to the System Information, and saw no PCI device / no Thunderbolt info. I couldn't find out if specific Kext or updated config is needed versus the vanilla one I'm using, or card flashing, etc.

That's where I am. I'd appreciate if someone could point me out in the right direction.

Thank you so much!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
As far as I know you need two displayport streams for 5k, which is a very Apple specific thing and may not be supported by AIC cards.

Rze

AMD OS X Member
actually the GC-Titan Ridge is supposed to do exactly that: bring both DP streams onto the Thunderbolt connector.

agent2

Donator
Donator
As far as I know you need two displayport streams for 5k, which is a very Apple specific thing and may not be supported by AIC cards.
I think that’s why the Gigabyte card is the recommended one to go with as it’s the best for Hackintoshing and mimicking Apple features

zk2004mb

AMD OS X Member
I'm using this set up right now. The monitor can work flawlessly in Windows. But in MacOS, it's either display or usb-related devices(audio, camera, USB hub etc). I can never get them work in the same time.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.