All drives show up as external

FatDad

AMD OS X Member
Anyone have this happen where all drives show up as external. It is something simple, yet its driving me crazy. I even reformatted the drive and reinstalled Big Sur and still shows up as external. Maybe is something in the config file?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 2.39.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 2.39.14 AM.png
    288.6 KB · Views: 67

FatDad

AMD OS X Member
I’ll try first thing tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agent2

Donator
Donator
It didn't work. But after more research I stumbled on a page that had the same problem. After going into the config.plist /kernel/quirks/externaldiskicon=true the problem has been solved!
Changing the config.plist didn't help me. Nothing changed

wild_eep

AMD OS X Member
I don't know if my solution will help with ALL your drives, but a few weeks ago, my NVMe drive showed up as external drives. I was able to find a fix on reddit and wrote a post showing what I did here.

OBIE

AMD OS X Member
Changed config.plist /kernel/quirks/externaldiskicon=true and it worked for me.

FatDad

AMD OS X Member
All I need now is to get the boot chime to work. I can’t for the life of me to figure out the proper way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agent2

Donator
Donator

agent2

Donator
Donator
Changed config.plist /kernel/quirks/externaldiskicon=true and it worked for me.
This didn't work but the kext did.

agent2

Donator
Donator
I don't know if my solution will help with ALL your drives, but a few weeks ago, my NVMe drive showed up as external drives. I was able to find a fix on reddit and wrote a post showing what I did here.
Yeah I didn't try that method (maybe because I'm lazy or didn't have the time) I'll give it a shot but the kext solution worked a charm.
I don't know what else changes when I set externaldiskicons=true (don't want to mess up any other drive displaying or so) so my question is if there are any side effects to any of the two methods above because if there are none I will go throught hurdle and just change the config.plist and remove the kext.

UPDATE: So I used the reddit version as that one is the one where the EFI doesn't get so cluttered (I have a million kexts). It worked perfectly even without changing /kernel/quirks/externaldiskicon=true.
But what I didn't notice is that you are running Big Sur so that could have changed much more and only requires the little config.plist change!
So people on Catalina shouldn't be preaching what works for them as OC 0.6.0 and macOS 11 are a completely different scenario!

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.