Catalina Opencore install - new install disk not shown in picker after first reboot

spykor

AMD OS X Member
My PC configuration: motherboard - Gigabyte 990XA-UD3, CPU - AMD FX-6300, RAM - 8GB, SSD with Windows 10, SSD with Mac OS X Sierra 10.126, SSD with macOS Mojave 10.14.6, SSD with Manjaro Linux. All Mac OS X and macOS installations use Clover boot loader and work fine (especially Sierra 10.12.6) except Sleep and Shutdown (shutdown leaves the system in a non power off state).

I have -after many days of trial and error-managed to build a working USB Installer for Catalina 10.15.6 with Opencore boot loader.
The installer works fine. It boots normally into macOS installation and utilities menu. I choose the macOS Installation and the process is completed normally. It installs the macOS installer onto the chosen HDD (partitioned as GUID previously) and then it reboots.
At this point I boot into USB Opencore again and I expect to see the menu of the Opencore picker to choose the new macOS installer on the new HDD to continue wit=ith the installation.
But, there is no entry of the new HDD partition which has the macOS installer on it. I can only see the original entries. The USB installer macOS and the other SSD disks and partitions.

Does anybody have any idea of what is going on?

Any help appreciated.

I will post the Opencore files and config.plist as well as the Opencore log, below.

thans

Attachments

• OC.zip
    961.3 KB · Views: 8
  • config.plist
    39.6 KB · Views: 6
  • opencore-2020-07-25-214206.txt
    256 KB · Views: 6

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Check your BIOS settings. Is the SATA mode set to AHCI?

spykor

AMD OS X Member
Check your BIOS settings. Is the SATA mode set to AHCI?
Yes!
All BIOS settings are according to instructions for AMD hackintosh installation. After all, I have Sierra 10.12.6 and Mojave 10.14.6 running normally (except Sleep and Shutdown) with Clover bootloader on two separate SSDs on this PC. That is why I am at a loss. The funny thing is that Opencore detects all other disks and partitions except the one that I have just installed Catalina Installer on phase one of the installation!
The problem occurs on reboot after finishing phase one installation (when the USB installer transfers the macOS install system onto the new HDD partition)! Then Opencore only detects the original SSDs and HDDs as in phase one, not the new HDD partition with the Catalina installer on it, which would allow me to boot into it and continue with phase 2 of the installation (Data & Privacy, Region, User, etc.)

EDIT 1

Does anybody with similar motherboard (similar not specifically the same, GA-990XA-UD3) experiences similar problems with OpenCore? I have a feeling that my problems might be related to OpenCore compatibility with this Gigabyte series of motherboards for AMD CPUs.

Last edited:

thepensivemonk

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

spykor

AMD OS X Member
It doesn't look like your FX 6300 (Piledriver gen.) is recommended for current OpenCore versions.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/macos-limits.html#cpu-support

It may be possible, but you might be fighting an uphill battle...

pm
Thanks a lot for the response.
I suspected that there is some problem with OpenCore and AMD FX architecture but I was encouraged by the fact that OC ver 0.5.9 allowed the Catalina installer to boot normally. The problem arises later! On the reboot phase.

I guess I'll have to wait until the people that make OC take care of this bug.
In the meantime I cannot boot the Catalina installer with Clover either anymore! It's frustrating. After the Clover menu during installer boot the system hangs on +++++++..

Again, thanks

Avecream

AMD OS X Member
Yes!
All BIOS settings are according to instructions for AMD hackintosh installation. After all, I have Sierra 10.12.6 and Mojave 10.14.6 running normally (except Sleep and Shutdown) with Clover bootloader on two separate SSDs on this PC. That is why I am at a loss. The funny thing is that Opencore detects all other disks and partitions except the one that I have just installed Catalina Installer on phase one of the installation!
The problem occurs on reboot after finishing phase one installation (when the USB installer transfers the macOS install system onto the new HDD partition)! Then Opencore only detects the original SSDs and HDDs as in phase one, not the new HDD partition with the Catalina installer on it, which would allow me to boot into it and continue with phase 2 of the installation (Data & Privacy, Region, User, etc.)

EDIT 1

Does anybody with similar motherboard (similar not specifically the same, GA-990XA-UD3) experiences similar problems with OpenCore? I have a feeling that my problems might be related to OpenCore compatibility with this Gigabyte series of motherboards for AMD CPUs.
exact same behavior here, i have 3900x with gigabyte x570 aorus ultra, did you solve it?

spykor

AMD OS X Member
exact same behavior here, i have 3900x with gigabyte x570 aorus ultra, did you solve it?

Not yet! I keep modifying the OC config with different combinations, but nothing has worked yet.
In the meantime I am trying to build a CLOVER based USB installer for Catalina, but I am experiencing problems with that also. I cannot seem to past the initial ++++... step. The installer boots up to that point and then it hangs there forever. It ight have something to do with the kernel AMD patches that I use, which are for Opencore only (I think). I have not found any Catalina AMD patches for CLOVER.
I'll keep trying. Otherwise we are stuck with Mojave forever (which might not be that bad after all).

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.