Do you need ethernet connection for installation?

junny

AMD OS X Member
Hi good folks of the AMD OS X community!
I have successfully set up my macOS boot drive, and was going through an installation video that said that I need ethernet (cable internet) connection when booting to install.
The issue is that I live in a dorm with no ethernet/cable access and the only option is wifi.

Would this fail and should I not even try? I did download the FULL_VERSION file from gibMacOS, but I wanted to cross check before something failed.

Thank you!

tinusxxl

AMD OS X Member
I think you will be able to select a full installer in gibMacOS, although it will have to download the whole installation image. When you open it, don't enter the recovery menu, just select Catalina.

fntzzz

AMD OS X Member
Hi good folks of the AMD OS X community!
I have successfully set up my macOS boot drive, and was going through an installation video that said that I need ethernet (cable internet) connection when booting to install.
The issue is that I live in a dorm with no ethernet/cable access and the only option is wifi.

Would this fail and should I not even try? I did download the FULL_VERSION file from gibMacOS, but I wanted to cross check before something failed.

Thank you!

Yes, internet connection is required to make a install.

batman222

AMD OS X Member
You can absolutely install using a USB. Assuming you have the full image, you need a Mac. There is a tool that will convert the downloaded image to an app [if you haven't got it on your Mac already]. Then use the makeinstall command to make a bootable USB. Open the EFI using EFI Mounter, and copy your prepared Opencore bootloader into the EFI. Boot from the USB. You will be able to install the full OS this way. I have installed both Catalia and High Sierra this way recently.

junny

AMD OS X Member

junny

AMD OS X Member
You can absolutely install using a USB. Assuming you have the full image, you need a Mac. There is a tool that will convert the downloaded image to an app [if you haven't got it on your Mac already]. Then use the makeinstall command to make a bootable USB. Open the EFI using EFI Mounter, and copy your prepared Opencore bootloader into the EFI. Boot from the USB. You will be able to install the full OS this way. I have installed both Catalia and High Sierra this way recently.
Thanks for the help! Although this looks way more complicated and discouraging for a first-timer like me haha better go the safe way and bring my PC that has ethernet connection and have it installed there. Cheers!

batman222

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the help! Although this looks way more complicated and discouraging for a first-timer like me haha better go the safe way and bring my PC that has ethernet connection and have it installed there. Cheers!
No worries. The best thing is that you can use the EFI you have built should you want to to make an full installer, without any mods.

sam298

AMD OS X Member
I tried this method. I wanted 10.15.1 and downloaded image and converted to app. But when it installs, it checks for internet connection to download updates and won't install if I disconnect the internet. It is a full installer about 6.5gb. I tried command+R during OC booting but it still not letting me to install a previous version.

batman222

AMD OS X Member
I tried this method. I wanted 10.15.1 and downloaded image and converted to app. But when it installs, it checks for internet connection to download updates and won't install if I disconnect the internet. It is a full installer about 6.5gb. I tried command+R during OC booting but it still not letting me to install a previous version.
I've never seen an install look for updates. Something is not right there.

sam298

AMD OS X Member
I've never seen an install look for updates. Something is not right there.
My bad. I downloaded a recovery image which is about 6gb. I downloaded full installer about 8gb and it installed without internet.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.