3950x - Big Sur 11.1 - OC 0.6.5 - Gigabyte Aorus Master X570

olbo

AMD OS X Member
1605265210808.png
1605265249084.png
CPU: Ryzen 3950x
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 (I have since flashed my vanilla 5700 with a 5700XT BIOS and have seen performance gains)
RAM: 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
Audio: ALC1220 (on Motherboard) + USB Microphone
Ethernet: 1G & 2.5G (on Motherboard)
WiFi/BT Card: Broadcom BCM943224PCIEBT2
Cooler: Noctua DH15 - Great cooler, may be OC'ing in the future
PSU: Corsair RMX750 with individually sleeved red modular cables
Case: Carbide Series™ Air 540
SMBIOS: MacPro7,1
3 x SSD, 1 x 2TB HDD, 1 x Blu-Ray Optical Drive
macOS 10.15.5, Arch Linux & Windows 10

For this build I used the OpenCore Desktop Guide.

Works:
  • iMessage
  • Handoff
  • Apple TV+
  • Netflix
  • SMC control using AMD Power Gadget
  • All USB ports
  • Sleep and Hibernate (BigSur)
What doesn't work:
  • Sleep/Hibernate - Kernel Panic due to problem with XHCI controller, seems to be a problem with AMD. I have not tried it since adding the USB Map
  • Side Car - Attempts to connect, then times out - Unsure of the problem, have not investigated
  • Line-In on the case, or the motherboard as this is a generic problem with AMD builds - I would really like to solve this so I can use my studio headset.

1593589690232.png

I disabled the Mac Pro memory warning about misconfigured RAM with this kext: https://github.com/IOIIIO/MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler
Everything else about the configuration can be sourced from the OpenCore vanilla guide - what an excellent resource.
I am a developer so will be using this machine for Xcode, VSCode and the occasional bit of design with Affinity.

Geekbench:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/1131251 (Can artificially inflate this with different power play settings to 70k+ but does not affect performance)

Photos of Build:

Attachments

• 1593589430447.png
    1593589430447.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,088
  • EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi congartulations, but the performance seems to be a little low., do you use première pro 2020 ?

olbo

AMD OS X Member
Hi congartulations, but the performance seems to be a little low., do you use première pro 2020 ?

Hi, what do you mean by performance? It's performing within 5% of my Windows and Linux installations with stock voltage and frequencies.
If you are referring to the power gadget then I have the auto performance boost where the clocks can turbo unto 4.7GHz per core. I found the default behaviour of auto working better than an across-the-board clock frequency of 4.4GHz since the turbo works better for single threaded applications.

I don't use première pro 2020, I typically find myself using Xcode and Affinity products

yossima

AMD OS X Member
Hi, what do you mean by performance? It's performing within 5% of my Windows and Linux installations with stock voltage and frequencies.
If you are referring to the power gadget then I have the auto performance boost where the clocks can turbo unto 4.7GHz per core. I found the default behaviour of auto working better than an across-the-board clock frequency of 4.4GHz since the turbo works better for single threaded applications.

I don't use première pro 2020, I typically find myself using Xcode and Affinity products
Hi ,

keep in mind that the power gadget is reducing your cpu performance score
i've uninstalled the power gadget and got score of 14,420 in geekbench
my only disappointed with this build is : davinci resolve crash after welcome screen , after effects camera tracker stuck on initializing
and my sapphire nitro rx 5700 gives only score of 52000 , i've see better scores with the same card .

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi ,

keep in mind that the power gadget is reducing your cpu performance score
i've uninstalled the power gadget and got score of 14,420 in geekbench
my only disappointed with this build is : davinci resolve crash after welcome screen , after effects camera tracker stuck on initializing
and my sapphire nitro rx 5700 gives only score of 52000 , i've see better scores with the same card .
Ok, and have you tested FCPX on it ?

yossima

AMD OS X Member

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
yes ,
FCPX is working smoothly also with FXFactory
That is strange Davinci crash at launch everyone says it's ok, and for After too ; perhaps they dont use it as far you do. Anyway thank you for sharing

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The build working with Davinci
The video who show it :

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Last edited:

KingKaido

AMD OS X Member
Hey, ive pretty much have the same build as you, would you be able to share the EFi folder please? :)

olbo

AMD OS X Member
Hey, ive pretty much have the same build as you, would you be able to share the EFi folder please? :)

I will share my EFI folder, however, I strongly recommend just following the OpenCore official guide as it will help you debug if you have issues with your system.

Nevertheless, see attached EFI folder for your reference - please note, I removed serials and has to remove the bluetooth kext as it put the attachment over the allowed limit on this forum

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 174

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I use only half of the 4 memory banks in my system because of the memory error, great that there's a way around that now! Thanks for pointing me to it. (Great wallpaper, by the way!)

olbo

AMD OS X Member
I use only half of the 4 memory banks in my system because of the memory error, great that there's a way around that now! Thanks for pointing me to it. (Great wallpaper, by the way!)

I can't remember which artist I found this from, I believe I downloaded a wallpaper resource pack from reddit

Attachments

• triangles_3440x1440.jpg
    triangles_3440x1440.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 102

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Cheers man!

KingKaido

AMD OS X Member
I will share my EFI folder, however, I strongly recommend just following the OpenCore official guide as it will help you debug if you have issues with your system.

Nevertheless, see attached EFI folder for your reference - please note, I removed serials and has to remove the bluetooth kext as it put the attachment over the allowed limit on this forum
Thank you so much!

olbo

AMD OS X Member
Updated to 10.15.6 OK - had a slight graphical glitch on the installer, however this did not affect the actual upgrade. I left it to do it's thing.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.