Problem with my 1st Hackintosh

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I am writing to you all because I have been trying to follow several guides to help me make my hackintosh. Unfortunately I continue to hit brick walls. I was hoping if I might be able to call on your expertise. I am having some difficulty with the EFI creation and when I feel I have succeeded with that, I end up getting a big no entry symbol during install or I get a no internet connection issue. The other 2 attempts that did not result with those failures, I got stuck at a partial install that locked up just before the dive configuration step. The attempt before, I got stuck with 1 minute remaining on an install that last all night long.

I would prefer to use Monterey as many say it is newer and has more features. I really only want to create a hackintosh because we are all iPhone users at home and our home is a Smart Home that is focused around HomeKit. It will make things much more easier for us at home if we are able to have a PC that is a Hackintosh. I am happy to try some alternative installers, but I feel I need your help around the EFI setup and hopefully adding whatever I may need for drivers.

I will list my Computer Specs for you

I am currently using Windows 10 Pro (but this will be overwritten)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Core Processor
Intel Wi-Fi and Onboard Intel Ethernet
16 GB DDR4 RAM
Bluetooth
Radeon RX 570 Series GPU
I also have USB ports varying between USB 1.0 type A to 3.0 and a USB Type C (but unsure if this part is important.)

I will try to add a link to my current usb boot contents. Hopefully it will help. I’m happy to post any other files that anyone feels is required. I’ll post the config.plist once I’m back on my secondary testing PC. Thanks 💖

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
There is an important piece of information missing from your Computer specs. Which motherboard are you using?

Some AMD motherboards require specific settings or additional patching to work with macOS.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I am writing to you all because I have been trying to follow several guides to help me make my hackintosh. Unfortunately I continue to hit brick walls. I was hoping if I might be able to call on your expertise. I am having some difficulty with the EFI creation and when I feel I have succeeded with that, I end up getting a big no entry symbol during install or I get a no internet connection issue. The other 2 attempts that did not result with those failures, I got stuck at a partial install that locked up just before the dive configuration step. The attempt before, I got stuck with 1 minute remaining on an install that last all night long.

I would prefer to use Monterey as many say it is newer and has more features. I really only want to create a hackintosh because we are all iPhone users at home and our home is a Smart Home that is focused around HomeKit. It will make things much more easier for us at home if we are able to have a PC that is a Hackintosh. I am happy to try some alternative installers, but I feel I need your help around the EFI setup and hopefully adding whatever I may need for drivers.

I will list my Computer Specs for you

I am currently using Windows 10 Pro (but this will be overwritten)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Core Processor
Intel Wi-Fi and Onboard Intel Ethernet
16 GB DDR4 RAM
Bluetooth
Radeon RX 570 Series GPU
I also have USB ports varying between USB 1.0 type A to 3.0 and a USB Type C (but unsure if this part is important.)

I will try to add a link to my current usb boot contents. Hopefully it will help. I’m happy to post any other files that anyone feels is required. I’ll post the config.plist once I’m back on my secondary testing PC. Thanks 💖
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. Hackintosh is a fun subject if you know what you're doing.
I love do reading about other systems though and how others put it to use. The requirement for everyone
is often very different. Some will want it for work, others for entertainment or gaming or even schoolwork.

With regards to your system, as @Edhawk said we don't know what the motherboard is. However looking
at the specs of the rest of your system I'd imagine it to fall between a X470, B450 or B550 in which case
I have something for you. I have put together something which should boot with your current setup
including your RX580. You'll just need to add your own UUID, ROM value and serials to the config.plist
to use using GenSMBIOS. > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/iservices.html
The OC boot files and kexts have all been updated to the latest OC 0.8.1 so it should work with
Monterey 12.4.

If you need BIOS settings these are some of the ones you'll need to change to:

AHCI Mode
Above 4GB Decoding Enabled
Initial Display > PCI Graphics Enabled
CSM Disabled
TPM Disabled
Secure Boot disabled
UEFI Boot Mode
Serial Port disabled

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    33.8 MB · Views: 2

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Oops, i forgot to put that. I have a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi. I have been doing lots of researching and I cannot believe I just lost 2 hours of my night by just learning about all the values in the config.plist file. WOW I've had fun doing this. Although I made some major changes to my EFI config.plist file, which I will try to add, I still hit some obstacles, but thanks to a change I made to the debug options, I now have a log of the issues.

Thanks for putting all of that together for me, but now I fear there may be an issue with the downloaded installer or with my input for the GenSMBIOS. I was not sure what I enter for my computer, so I entered the version or the file as I was following AudioGod's setup. So I set my version to "MacPro7,1". But now I am concerned I have either entered that wrong or not using the correct installer. Can anyone suggest how I can fix this part please

I have attached my current conffig.plist and the debug info. I will be editing my current config as I await your responses. Thanks so much.

Edit: I have attached the edited config. Hopefully the changes I made will be good. I do need to confirm about what install I am using and how I use the GenSMBIOS correctly. I have used the latest download from the Open Core website, which was "py ./macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000000000 download". I was just reading about the GenSMBIOS settings and it completely did my head in. I think it just burst haha. I do have an existing Apple ID, but because this PC would not be a legitimate Apple product, I am not sure what I enter. Oh dear, my brain died on my OCD got the better of me. I'm trying to understand this thing and my brain just goes nuts. Please help o_O

Attachments

• opencore-2022-06-21-142333.txt
    256 KB · Views: 1
  • config.plist
    46.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Oops, i forgot to put that. I have a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi. I have been doing lots of researching and I cannot believe I just lost 2 hours of my night by just learning about all the values in the config.plist file. WOW I've had fun doing this. Although I made some major changes to my EFI config.plist file, which I will try to add, I still hit some obstacles, but thanks to a change I made to the debug options, I now have a log of the issues.

Thanks for putting all of that together for me, but now I fear there may be an issue with the downloaded installer or with my input for the GenSMBIOS. I was not sure what I enter for my computer, so I entered the version or the file as I was following AudioGod's setup. So I set my version to "MacPro7,1". But now I am concerned I have either entered that wrong or not using the correct installer. Can anyone suggest how I can fix this part please

I have attached my current conffig.plist and the debug info. I will be editing my current config as I await your responses. Thanks so much.

Edit: I have attached the edited config. Hopefully the changes I made will be good. I do need to confirm about what install I am using and how I use the GenSMBIOS correctly. I have used the latest download from the Open Core website, which was "py ./macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000000000 download". I was just reading about the GenSMBIOS settings and it completely did my head in. I think it just burst haha. I do have an existing Apple ID, but because this PC would not be a legitimate Apple product, I am not sure what I enter. Oh dear, my brain died on my OCD got the better of me. I'm trying to understand this thing and my brain just goes nuts. Please help o_O
Please try this one - I'd forgotten to rename the OpenHFSPlus.efi driver (hence you may have had some trouble booting).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    33.8 MB · Views: 3

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need an AppleID when you are configuring your User Account in macOS. You do not need one during the installation, as you are offered the option to 'skip' the part where it asks you to enter your AppleID.

The AppleID can be entered in the System Preferences once you have macOS installed. The AppleID is more useful to people who have more than one Hack or Mac, or an iPhone or iPad, where they have previously set up the ID and have email, messages, notes, reminders, bookmarks etc. in use already and want the same settings transferred to their new Hack/Mac etc.

Try the EFI attached below,
  1. It is set for an 8-core system, with a X570 MB, RX570 GPU etc.
  2. It uses OC 0.8.1 with the latest AMD patches.
  3. The EFI uses the OC GUI boot screen not the text picker list.
  4. It uses the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS data from the config you attached above.
  5. I have purposefully kept the number of kexts, drivers and Tools to a bare minimum.
  6. So there are no kexts for your Intel WiFi/BT card. The reason being it is easy to add an incompatible kext that prevents your system booting.
    1. These unessential kexts can be added to your OC setup after you have macOS installed.
  7. I am not sure if you enabled the bios option for 'Above 4G decoding', so this config.plist contains the npci=0x2000 boot arg.
  8. If you did find and enable the above 4G decode bios option, you can remove the npci=0x2000 boot argument, as you don't need both. If not leave it in your config.
Do not change the EFI in any way, other than removing the npci=0x2000 boot arg, and only remove that boot argument if necessary

Remember to use the NvramReset option before you boot with this EFI. If the NvramReset tool is not visible press the spacebar, while on the OC GUI boot screen, this will display all the tools available plus the Recovery icon, which you may need if you are using the Recovery online method to install macOS.

If the system kernel panics (KP's) take a photo of the text shown on the screen and post a copy here, so we can see what needs attention.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 8

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
You need an AppleID when you are configuring your User Account in macOS. You do not need one during the installation, as you are offered the option to 'skip' the part where it asks you to enter your AppleID.

The AppleID can be entered in the System Preferences once you have macOS installed. The AppleID is more useful to people who have more than one Hack or Mac, or an iPhone or iPad, where they have previously set up the ID and have email, messages, notes, reminders, bookmarks etc. in use already and want the same settings transferred to their new Hack/Mac etc. @Middleman

5. I have purposefully kept the number of kexts, drivers and Tools to a bare minimum.
  6. So there are no kexts for your Intel WiFi/BT card. The reason being it is easy to add an incompatible kext that prevents your system booting.
    1. These unessential kexts can be added to your OC setup after you have macOS installed.
  7. I am not sure if you enabled the bios option for 'Above 4G decoding', so this config.plist contains the npci=0x2000 boot arg.
  8. If you did find and enable the above 4G decode bios option, you can remove the npci=0x2000 boot argument, as you don't need both. If not leave it in your config.
Do not change the EFI in any way, other than removing the npci=0x2000 boot arg, and only remove that boot argument if necessary

Remember to use the NvramReset option before you boot with this EFI. If the NvramReset tool is not visible press the spacebar, while on the OC GUI boot screen, this will display all the tools available plus the Recovery icon, which you may need if you are using the Recovery online method to install macOS.

If the system kernel panics (KP's) take a photo of the text shown on the screen and post a copy here, so we can see what needs attention.
Thank you for your reply and the EFI file. I did need to check if this has the install file that I needed to download, so I can install the Monterey system? I’ve had some issues with being able to install it and once it told me “no internet connection” another time it got stuck at 1 minute remaining. Is this an issue with the specific install version I was using ? Could you possibly link an exact python code for me to download or is the one that is listed on the OpenCore website correct and good. Could it have been a problem with my EFI file that was preventing it from completing the install ? Thank you

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Thank you for your reply and the EFI file. I did need to check if this has the install file that I needed to download, so I can install the Monterey system? I’ve had some issues with being able to install it and once it told me “no internet connection” another time it got stuck at 1 minute remaining. Is this an issue with the specific install version I was using ? Could you possibly link an exact python code for me to download or is the one that is listed on the OpenCore website correct and good. Could it have been a problem with my EFI file that was preventing it from completing the install ? Thank you
Hi @DancingShinryu,

You could download this kext file for your Ethernet - it should work. Just add the latest SmallTreeIntel82576.kext.zip into your EFI/OC/Kexts folder (unzip the file first), add it into your config.plist under Kernel > Add using Propertree and enable it.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member

The AppleID can be entered in the System Preferences once you have macOS installed. The AppleID is more useful to people who have more than one Hack or Mac, or an iPhone or iPad, where they have previously set up the ID and have email, messages, notes, reminders, bookmarks etc. in use already and want the same settings transferred to their new Hack/Mac etc.

I have tried to go ahead with the installation. When I get to select Monterey, it tells me “An internet connection is required to install macOS”. I am using the same Ethernet connection as I was using when I tried to install BigSur. It had no issue before. My internet connection has 2 available options, Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Both are Intel connections and as I recall, the drivers were in the EFI folder. So I don’t understand why it is not recognising the internet connection. There has not been any changes to my connection.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Just AppleIGB.kext

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Just AppleIGB.kext
I felt so silly for a moment, I realised I was about to move one of the other Apple Kexts, files. There is only 1 file in the folder you provided the link for lol. So sorry and Ty

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Just AppleIGB.kext
I removed the Intel kext and added the one you advised. This issue popped up. Should I not have removed the Intel kext ?

Attachments

• 2083C185-96EF-475F-80C1-C967B92218DB.jpeg
    2083C185-96EF-475F-80C1-C967B92218DB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
You need to adjust the config when changing kexts.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Oh I forgot to add the new kext and remove the Intel. Oops. Thanks

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
YIPPPEEEE!!! WE are rolling. Well, so far, so good. We are currently installing with 58 minutes to go.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Everything was going great, but it appears my internet dropped out. Even though I’m using Ethernet connection, it is running through a Power over Ethernet adapter. So it still relies on wifi. I’ve began the install again and hopefully it will download ok, but I wanted to check if there is anyway for me to download an image and add it to the folder in order to skip the long install/download stage?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try using the attached EFI.

It contains the AppleIGB.kext and the kexts for your Intel WiFi/BT module when running Monterey.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    32.3 MB · Views: 7

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I seem to be stuck at “1 minute remaining” again. Last time I got this, when I rebooted, it became 29 minutes remaining and then gets stuck at 1 minute remaining again. Rebooting doesn’t seem to help and the last time I had this, I left it on all night long and it still didn’t correct itself. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Edit: I let it sit there and when I checked in on it, it kept loading into BIOS. I rebooted and booted into the USB again, selected the Hard drive it was installed onto and it seems to be going through an absolute tonne of lines of text. I will see what happens from here. Hopefully that issue has corrected itself and this is all part of the install.

Edit 2: It seems to have all gone great. It has all been installed and I just finished going through all the parts before the “Keyboard Assistant” section pops up. It has detected my wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but it’s asking me to press a key to the right if Shoft, which is the Z, but that’s not working. I suspect I gotta pair the Bluetooth or I gotta put my keyboard back into pairing mode.

Because I got one of those drastically fancy Logitech keyboard which has 3 connection options. I had channel 1 connected to my windows PC. I’m hoping to be able to pair channel 1 to my hackintosh as well. But if the keyboard receives a different signal from the 2 systems, I might not be able to. But I could pair channel 1 to my Hackintosh, Chanel 2 to my windows PC and Chanel 3 to my Homebridge Raspberry PI.

I didn’t realise that I’ve managed to be able to keep both operating systems on different drives and it’s because I was using my 4TB drive as a test to see how it installed. Hopefully if all goes good, I can just choose which to boot into from the BIOS boot option. I will continue this installation once I finished watching our nightly Supernatural Episode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.