12.3.1 WindowServer Crash

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
Currently macOS locks up almost immediately after successfully booting up to GUI, and then auto-reboots.
I tried removing BAR support / Removing Whatevergreen as well- WindowServer crashes and then reboots back to BIOS.

Zero clue where to begin troubleshooting this...

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Currently macOS locks up almost immediately after successfully booting up to GUI, and then auto-reboots.
I tried removing BAR support / Removing Whatevergreen as well- WindowServer crashes and then reboots back to BIOS.

Zero clue where to begin troubleshooting this...
Have you included AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext in your build? Try that first because that is needed for 12.3.
If that doesn't work, add swd_panic=1 to your boot-arg to see what's gone wrong.

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
I did have the AppleMCEReporterDisabler kext included and enabled. That's why I was able to get MacOS GUI and log in, but it just reboots on its own after short period of time.
adding swd_panic=1 gave me no log dumps of any sort...

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I did have the AppleMCEReporterDisabler kext included and enabled. That's why I was able to get MacOS GUI and log in, but it just reboots on its own after short period of time.
adding swd_panic=1 gave me no log dumps of any sort...
Okay. What's your build spec? And which version of Opencore are you using?

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member

I juuust updated to 0.7.9 but that didn’t help either.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member

I juuust updated to 0.7.9 but that didn’t help either.
Okay. I can see you are missing a number of things. SSDT-EC for starters. Also SSDT-CPUR & SSDT-HPET & SSDT-USB-W. SSDT-CPUR is slightly different to SSDT-PLUG. I've enabled both on my B550 Vision D. Also missing SMCAMDProcessor.kext & SMCSuperIO.kext.

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
I have SSDT-EC actually. SSDT-CPUR I believe this is specifically for B550 and A520. SSDT-HPET is for X79 and X99 and high-end desktops and laptops. What is SSDT-USB-W?
I have SMCAMDProcessor.kext and AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext. Do I still need SMCSuperIO.kext?

I also updated to OC 0.8.0 with no success. I have attached my config.plist below. Have at it!

Attachments

• Config.plist
    41 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I have SSDT-EC actually. SSDT-CPUR I believe this is specifically for B550 and A520. SSDT-HPET is for X79 and X99 and high-end desktops and laptops. What is SSDT-USB-W?
I have SMCAMDProcessor.kext and AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext. Do I still need SMCSuperIO.kext?
Yes. It’s part of USBWakeFixup.

If it’s not working for you you are welcome to check out my 5900X B550 Vision D build here for comparison which is fully working with Monterey 12.3 > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5900x-rx550-samsung-1tb-970-evo-plus.319781/

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
Any additional help or responses would be greatly appreciated-- I have looked at few other people's configuration files and tried matching them with no success..

Also I wanted to enable Aquantia Support but it wants DisableIOMapper to be false and enable Vt-d (AMD-V) in BIOS - This resulted in black screen.
Any ideas?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Any additional help or responses would be greatly appreciated-- I have looked at few other people's configuration files and tried matching them with no success..

Also I wanted to enable Aquantia Support but it wants DisableIOMapper to be false and enable Vt-d (AMD-V) in BIOS - This resulted in black screen.
Any ideas?
Yes.

To boot 12.3.1:

Remove just the device-id in your Aquantia PCIRoot device properties and disable DisableIOMapper and any existing AQC patches. Enable VT-d in BIOS.
Your system should have this kernel patch enabled in config.plist as well:

Identifier: com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
Comment: AQC 107 10 Gbe v3
Find: 0F844503 0000
Replace: 660F1F44 0000
MinKernel: 21.4.0
Count: 1
Enabled: YES

If you are still having blackouts after this, it may be because you are using Monterey 12.2., in which case the solution will be slightly different from above.
I won't post it just yet in case it gets too confusing for you, but it involves a) another set of kernel patches plus b) the enabling of AQC 107 properties in Device Properties plus disabling of VT-d in BIOS and DisableIOMapper. :)

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
I’m seeing growing number of success cases with SMBIOS of iMac rather than Mac7,1… Will give this a try.

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
Okay. Finally found out the problem. It had to do with BAR Size settings. Has anyone got config.plist param that works for BAR Sizing for 6900XT?

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
Disabling and re-enabling BAR size seems to be doing the trick, yet it's somewhat unstable. I'll continue normally using 12.4 for now. Thanks.

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
Yes.

To boot 12.3.1:

Remove just the device-id in your Aquantia PCIRoot device properties and disable DisableIOMapper and any existing AQC patches. Enable VT-d in BIOS.
Your system should have this kernel patch enabled in config.plist as well:

Identifier: com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
Comment: AQC 107 10 Gbe v3
Find: 0F844503 0000
Replace: 660F1F44 0000
MinKernel: 21.4.0
Count: 1
Enabled: YES

If you are still having blackouts after this, it may be because you are using Monterey 12.2., in which case the solution will be slightly different from above.
I won't post it just yet in case it gets too confusing for you, but it involves a) another set of kernel patches plus b) the enabling of AQC 107 properties in Device Properties plus disabling of VT-d in BIOS and DisableIOMapper. :)
Okay, I'm now narrowing down to a point that the crashes are caused by Aquantia Settings done in config.plist.
I can boot it to Monterey 12.4 by using the following settings:
1. DeviceProperties - Removed the PCIe address that is for Aquantia device
2. Enabled ForceAquantiaEthernet Quirk in Kernel
3. Applied kernel patch as per above, except the Find parameter is 0F84C002 0000
4. DisableIOMapper is 'false'
5. Enabled SVM support in BIOS (Basically Vt-d support in Gigabyte's terms)

However this setting still end up with Network status as Self Assigned IP. I guess ForceAquantiaEthernet is still to be further developed?

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.