[Solved] Weird behavior on Monterey 12.3.1

5t0l3n

AMD OS X Member
Hello, I'm experiencing a problem while running MacOS, sleep is not working at all but it solves the issue... 😅

While using safari/discord/videos after 10-15 minutes the computer began to slow down to the point that is unusable at all, it doesn't freeze or reboots but in order to make the computer run flawlessly again, I need to put it to sleep and before going to sleep, wake it up. The problem solves too when I change the screen refresh rate since it turns off and turns on or letting the computer to show the screensaver. The activity monitor is showing that the Kernel_Task cpu usage is around 80% when it happens but idk how to solve this/fix this at all.

I'm experiencing this since the first time I've installed Big Sur on my computer and I redid the EFI folder quite few times using dortania guide (there's no info about kernel_task errors) so I don't know if the problem comes from my EFI that is wrong or is just my computer but I wish to ask if someone knows how to fix this since is driving me mad.

It does the same on a fresh OS install...

My specs are:
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max (It happens on 02/14/2022 bios, 05/31/2021 bios & 02/08/2021bios)
970 Evo Plus NVME M.2 (2B2QEXM7 firm as dortania guide suggest)
Ballistix 3600 CL16
XFX RX 6800 XT

I normally run my computer overclocked but it does the same without overclock too...

Maybe someone is able to check if there's any error on my EFI.

Thanks in advance.

After changing ResizeAppleGpuBars = 0(1mb) to 8 (256mb) the system doesn't lag anymore/kernel_task working as intended.
This quirk sets GPU PCI BAR sizes as specified or chooses the largest available below the ResizeGpuBars value. The specified value follows PCI Resizable BAR spec. Use 0 for 1 MB, 1 for 2 MB, 2 for 4 MB, and so on up to 19 for 512 GB.

This quirk shall not be used to workaround macOS limitation to address BARs over 1 GB. ResizeAppleGpuBars should be used instead.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try using this revised config.plist with your current OC folder.
  1. I have changed SetupVirtualMap to false.
  2. I have removed a number of placeholder entries that are not required for an AMD setup.
You will need to enter your Serial Number etc.

Remember to use the ClearNvram tool and reboot the system when booting with this config.plist, before you boot in to macOS.

I not you don't have any form of USB configuration for your system. I doubt this is the cause of the problems you are facing, but it won't help. You would be advised to install an older version of macOS, anything prior to Big Sur 11.3. As the XhciPortLimit quirk stopped working in anything newer. The lack of a functioning port limit quirk makes USB port discovery harder, hence the need to use an older version of macOS.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 5

5t0l3n

AMD OS X Member
Try using this revised config.plist with your current OC folder.
  1. I have changed SetupVirtualMap to false.
  2. I have removed a number of placeholder entries that are not required for an AMD setup.
You will need to enter your Serial Number etc.

Remember to use the ClearNvram tool and reboot the system when booting with this config.plist, before you boot in to macOS.

I not you don't have any form of USB configuration for your system. I doubt this is the cause of the problems you are facing, but it won't help. You would be advised to install an older version of macOS, anything prior to Big Sur 11.3. As the XhciPortLimit quirk stopped working in anything newer. The lack of a functioning port limit quirk makes USB port discovery harder, hence the need to use an older version of macOS.
The thing is that the computer still doing the same but is fine.

About the USB, I've just checked the uploaded EFI folder (it is the one that I was just testing on the pendrive while updating OpenCore) and is missing the 2 USB kext to fix the mobo usb, pretty sure that are just working fine and that's why XhciPortLimit was false. I will check if it's just doing the same on the first Big Sur release.

I must remove the ACPI since the USB are working as intended?

Thank you.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.