The trackpad not working and the screen stays black after boot for a while

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
I've run into two issues after successfully installing Monterey. My trackpad doesn't work at all but did work perfectly on Big Sur. The second issue is that halfway through the Apple bar loading on boot up the screen just goes blank but I know it successfully boots and goes to the login screen as when I tap the keys I can hear sounds coming from the laptop. After about 5 minutes the screen will turn on by itself and then work properly.

Opencore version: 0.7.8

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5584

CPU: i7-8565U (Whiskey Lake)

GPU: Intel UHD620

I've attached my EFI, any help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 5

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
It might be a shot in the dark but ever since version 12.3 Apple changed something and you need AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext to boot properly. This might also be needed for you.
See here for more info.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext is not required for an Intel Coffee/Whiskey Lake laptop.

It is more likely to be caused by the DeviceProperties you have entered in your config.plist for your UHD 630 IGPU.

Screenshot 2022-04-15 at 19.18.41.png DeviceProperties for IGPU
  1. These entries are missing the framebuffer-con0 device, which I find strange.
  2. It may be that your laptop needs the Framebuffer-con0 device to be included, even if it is a 'dummy' entry.
  3. It may be that the Alldata entries for con1 and con2 are not correct.
  4. Where did you get these IGPU entries, from someone else's setup?
  5. Have you tried booting without the framebuffer-con1 and framebuffer-con2 entries?
  6. What happens?

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext is not required for an Intel Coffee/Whiskey Lake laptop.

It is more likely to be caused by the DeviceProperties you have entered in your config.plist for your UHD 630 IGPU.

View attachment 5708 DeviceProperties for IGPU
  1. These entries are missing the framebuffer-con0 device, which I find strange.
  2. It may be that your laptop needs the Framebuffer-con0 device to be included, even if it is a 'dummy' entry.
  3. It may be that the Alldata entries for con1 and con2 are not correct.
  4. Where did you get these IGPU entries, from someone else's setup?
  5. Have you tried booting without the framebuffer-con1 and framebuffer-con2 entries?
  6. What happens?
I got the values myself but don’t remember how I did it. These were the values I used for my set up when I had Big Sur installed and it never caused me any issues. I think I added the con1 and con2 values so I could connect my monitors to the HDMI port.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
There are issues with Bluetooth controllers & devices due to Apple changing things in macOS Monterey.

Big Sur was not effected by these issues, as the changes have not been retrospectively applied to Big Sur.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
There are issues with Bluetooth controllers & devices due to Apple changing things in macOS Monterey.

Big Sur was not effected by these issues, as the changes have not been retrospectively applied to Big Sur.
Would you recommend I try get new values for them? How would I go about doing that?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I got the values myself but don’t remember how I did it. These were the values I used for my set up when I had Big Sur installed and it never caused me any issues. I think I added the con1 and con2 values so I could connect my monitors to the HDMI port.
Yes they are both set for a HDMI connector, see the centre 8 numbers '00080000' this is the setting for a HDMI connector.

That sorts out an external display connecting to your laptop via HDMI.

What about the main laptop display.

That may be an eDP or LDVS connector, it needs to be set correctly so the connector doesn't take an age to start displaying the OS.

Open your IOReg, look under the IGPU and see what is shown for the @display0, or better yet post a copy of your IOReg so I can see what is happening. Use the version attached below when making the copy.

Do not connect any external displays when you make a copy of your IOReg.

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer-SLRID_v10.6.3.zip
    254.5 KB · Views: 2

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Yes they are both set for a HDMI connector, see the centre 8 numbers '00080000' this is the setting for a HDMI connector.

That sorts out an external display connecting to your laptop via HDMI.

What about the main laptop display.

That may be an eDP or LDVS connector, it needs to be set correctly so the connector doesn't take an age to start displaying the OS.

Open your IOReg, look under the IGPU and see what is shown for the @display0, or better yet post a copy of your IOReg so I can see what is happening. Use the version attached below when making the copy.

Do not connect any external displays when you make a copy of your IOReg.
This is what I see:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-15 at 19.52.52 1.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-15 at 19.52.52 1.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 6

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I need to see the whole IOReg, not a partial screenshot of a section of the display section.

But seeing that section I can tell you that neither of the framebuffer-con1 or framebuffer-con2 entries are doing anything useful for your laptops main display.

The main display is connected to framebuffer-con0, which you omitted from the DeviceProperties.

Did you try booting the system with the framebuffer-con1 and framebuffer-con2 entries removed/disabled in the config.plist?

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
I need to see the whole IOReg, not a partial screenshot of a section of the display section.

But seeing that section I can tell you that neither of the framebuffer-con1 or framebuffer-con2 entries are doing anything useful for your laptops main display.

The main display is connected to framebuffer-con0, which you omitted from the DeviceProperties.

Did you try booting the system with the framebuffer-con1 and framebuffer-con2 entries removed/disabled in the config.plist?
I tried booting it without it and nothing changed. I attached the file you need.

Attachments

• Uzair’s MacBook Pro.zip
    807.3 KB · Views: 2

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I tried booting it without it and nothing changed. I attached the file you need.
Hi UZair999,

Try this build here, which I have modded from your EFI. I have a HP Whiskey Lake laptop also which is running perfect on Monterey. You're missing the enable-cfl-backlight-fix in the IGPU section as well as a reordering of the VoodooHDA I2C and PS2Controller drivers. I have also disabled SSDT-I2C as you already have the kexts enabled. USB wake should also be fixed too with USBWakeFixup.kext added.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 4

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Hi UZair999,

Try this build here, which I have modded from your EFI. I have a HP Whiskey Lake laptop also which is running perfect on Monterey. You're missing the enable-cfl-backlight-fix in the IGPU section as well as a reordering of the VoodooHDA I2C and PS2Controller drivers. I have also disabled SSDT-I2C as you already have the kexts enabled. USB wake should also be fixed too with USBWakeFixup.kext added.
This has solved both my problems! My only issue is that the trackpad doesn't allow for any gestures. Any way to fix this?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
This has solved both my problems! My only issue is that the trackpad doesn't allow for any gestures. Any way to fix this?
Great! Not sure about that as gestures had never worked on my trackpad setup. Maybe you could try to disable VoodooHDA-I2C, and enable the SSDT-I2C and see if that helps. Or maybe you need to find a missing VoodooInput gestures extension.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Great! Not sure about that as gestures had never worked on my trackpad setup. Maybe you could try to disable VoodooHDA-I2C, and enable the SSDT-I2C and see if that helps. Or maybe you need to find a missing VoodooInput gestures extension.
I’ll see what I can do as gestures worked for me on Big Sur.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Hi UZair999,

Using this EFI I can't get my HDMI connection to work. Do you have trouble with that too?

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Hi UZair999,

This for some reason has stopped working for me as well now.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Good to hear the new EFI worked for your system and got the internal display working.

You may need to remove one of the VoodooPS2Controller plugins for the trackpad to work as a Trackpad and provide gustures in macOS.

Usually I have to remove or disable VoodooPS2Mouse.kext in my config.plist for my laptop hacks. This is in order for the Trackpad to work as a Trackpad, and System Preferences to enable the Trackpad pref pane. Where the Gestures can be enabled and amended to suit your requirements. Otherwise the trackpad tends to work as a very basic mouse.

I can confirm that your IOReg shows your Internal display uses an LDVS connector <02000000> not a HDMI connector, as is set in the new /EFI/OC/config.plist provided by Middleman.
  1. You may need to use the framebuffer-con1 and framebuffer-con2 entries from your previous config in order for the HDMI connection to the external display to work.
  2. The framebuffer-con0-alldata entry is missing from the new config.plist. It is provided for the other two connectors, but not for the internal display.
You need to undo whatever changes you made to the EFI and its contents to get your system booting again.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.