AudioGod's ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING - Big Sur & Monterey Beta - OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
WARNING!

Do not install Monterey 12.3. After the update installs and the computer restarts the OS hangs on the loading screen.

I stupidly clicked the update button on my primary MacOS partition instead of switching over to the test install on different drive.

Last edited:

dabbler455

AMD OS X Member
Is anyone else having issues with launching certain games/programs on your Hackintosh? I'm trying to launch World of Warcraft from the Battle.net app and it just crashes every time. I am able to launch games like D3 or D2 without issue

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
WARNING!

Do not install Monterey 12.3. After the update installs and the computer restarts the OS hangs on the loading screen.

I stupidly clicked the update button on my primary MacOS partition instead of switching over to the test install on different drive.

Easily fixed. AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext is required to boot 12.3

Attachments

• AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 33

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member

Thanks. I just finished restoring my system. I need it this afternoon.

I will add the .kext and try.

Last edited:

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member

I am stuck at the boot screen with the Apple
Logo.

Disable the kext and it boots fine.

I added it to the Kernal. Is there something I am missing?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Works fine on my system. Here it is in my config,

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
Works fine on my system. Here it is in my config,

Removing the ExecutablePath resolved the problem. I thought that it was a required dependency.

It now boots. Will update now.

Thanks again Shaneee!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Nah it's just an injector. The kext has no binary so it's not needed.

stotes

AMD OS X Member
After dealing with the MSI Monterey issues I splurged and went with the ASUS x570-e gaming WIFI II. It appears the WIFI II model works with the same EFI which is fantastic.

Thanks @AudioGod, and @Ezaul for your contributions and many thanks to @Shaneee for the help.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
No worries. It's a great board. You'll be able to swap out the onboard WiFi with a native one if you choose to ;)

Ezaul

AMD OS X Member
Depois de lidar com os problemas do MSI Monterey, fiz alarde e fui com o ASUS x570-e gaming WIFI II. Parece que o modelo WIFI II funciona com o mesmo EFI, o que é fantástico.

Obrigado @AudioGod e @Ezaul por suas contribuições e muito obrigado a @Shaneee pela ajuda.

I am grateful to be able to help people in an easier way to conquer their Hackintosh

We are always available

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI Update, February 8th, 2022

The EFI works with MacOS 12.3 Beta 1,2 & 3 on BIOS 4203 and includes Linux.

The EFI has now been updated to the my latest version.
Changes made include,
  • Lilu
  • AppleALC
  • WhateverGreen
  • VirtualSMC
  • RestrictEvents
  • AppleMCEReporterDisabler
  • LucyRTL8125Ethernet
  • SMCAMDProcessor
  • SmallTreeIntel812576Ethernet
  • New Universal AMD Patches Monterey 12.3 Compatible,
  • 2.5Ghz Ethernet Auto Negotiation Fixed,
  • Memory Mapping is now Being done via RestrictEvents,
  • About This Mac now displays the correct AMD Processor info done via RestrictEvents,
  • Plus other minor tweaks and changes to the config.
NVMeFix was removed due to the stability issue with macOS Monterey 12.3 beta 1 & 2.

Note 1 -
If your not using a RX 6800 or any other Navi/BigNavi GPU then remove agdpmod=ignore from the boot arguments.

Note 2 - If you are using a 6 or Less Core Ryzen then go into the Config,plist and under PlatformInfo->Generic Change the ProcessorType from 0 to 1537, This will list your CPU info correctly inside About This Mac.

Note 3 - The SmallTreeIntel82576.kext is not working in macOS Big Sur and Monterey.

Note 4 - BIOS SETTING CHANGE - Since Bios Revision 4010 Power On By PCIe can break shut down on some peoples builds so ensure the following setting is now set as disabled.
  • Advanced -> APM Configuration -> Power On By PCIe -> Disabled

For OpenCore Using PlistEdit Pro add your details by modifying the following
1627932237694.png

IMPORTANT PATCH INFO TO SET THE CORRECT CORE COUNT FOR YOUR CPU
Core Count patch needs to be modified to boot your system. Find the two algrey - Force cpuid_cores_per_package patches and alter the Replace value only.

Changing BA000000 0000/BA000000 0090* to BA <CoreCount> 0000 0000/BA <CoreCount> 0000 0090* substituting <CoreCount> with the hexadeciamal value matching your physical core count.

Note: The three different values reflect the patch for different versions of macOS. Be sure to change all three if you boot macOS 10.13 to macOS 12

See the table below for the values matching your CPU Core Count.

CoreCountHexadecimal
6 Core06
8 Core08
12 Core0C
16 Core10
32 Core20
So for example a 6 Core 5600X would result in these replace values, BA 06 0000 0000/BA 06 0000 0090
Or a 12 Core 5900X that I have it setup as standard would result in these replace values, BA 0C 0000 0000/BA 0C 0000 0090

EXAMPLE
Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 19.51.06.png

Power Gadget App
The AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext has been updated and has gone from good to Amazing so make sure you download the latest version of the Power Gadget App to make the most of it.
AMD.Power.Gadget.app.zip

Finally and as always, MAKE SURE YOU RESET YOUR NVRAM BEFORE BOOTING INTO THE NEW EFI.

Big thanks to AudioGod, Shaneee & Ezual!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
For those with an Asus X570 a new Beta BIOS was released today 4203. It works with MacOS using the current BIOS configuration. But you will need to reconfigure your BIOS after updating.

EDIT:
The only problem appears to be the PWM pump header. I am down grading due to it always wanting to run at 100% as changing it from the CPU to T-Sensor does not seem to register.

Update:
Resolved by reinstalling Armoury Crate and AI Suite 3. The X570 I Gaming, ITX, only has 1 pump header that is configured for an AIO Pump which has some weird behavior with the DCC PWM pump. For whatever reason Fan Xpert 4 in AI Suite 3 overrides the BIOS pump RPMs when the liquid temperature is above 45C and prevents the pump raising the RPMs to 100%.

I disabled AI Suite 3 with my AIO and may have coincidently noticed this. I installed an Aquanaut Extreme with a DDC 4.2 last week but had not had a chance to game. Yesterday after updating the BIOS was the first time actually playing for an extended period of time.

Last edited:

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
MacOS Monterey 12.3 Beta 3 works the 0.7.8 EFI.

Last edited:

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
MacOS Monterey 12.3 Beta 4 works the 0.7.8 EFI. On the initial boot after installing the update Bluetooth and the System Preference Pane was not working. A second restart fixed the problem.

Monterey 12.3 Beta 4 fan and pump disconnect issue.

Random motherboard PWM fan/pump headers disconnection. The fans and pump stop responding and the thermals gradually increase. Sometimes to the point of thermal shutdown.

If caught in time the AMD Power Gadget -> Fan Control can be used to select Auto which causes them to reconnect. This problem did not occur in Beta 3 and does not happen when sleeping in Windows 11.

I have made no changes to the EFI or BIOS.

Downgraded to Beta 3 for now.

Last edited:

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
Monterey 12.3 beta 5 appears thus far to have resolved the motherboard fan and pump header disconnect with the 0.7.8.

UPDATE: After almost 24 hours of running beta 5 I have not experienced the fan and pump motherboard header disconnect.
UPDATE: After 48 hours I for use beta 5 resolved the disconnect issue.

Last edited:

thisisgm

AMD OS X Member
Are Samsung drives still an issue with the latest build? Looking at a 980 PRO but read here that TRIM is broken.

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
Are Samsung drives still an issue with the latest build? Looking at a 980 PRO but read here that TRIM is broken.
At this time yes.

On Monday OpenCore 0.7.9 will be release. The change log indicate that a new version of NVMeFix will also be available. NVMeFix cause Monterey 12.3 to crash. Whether this resolves the issue with Samsung TRIM on Monterey 12.3 is yet to be seen. Someone who has used the prerelease may already know the answer.

I would avoid Samsung as it appears Apple is making a concerted effort to prevent Samsung drives from working properly in MacOS. Future changes in MacOS may cause problems down the road that render it unusable leaving you to wait seeing if an update can fix the problem.

You may be better off with something like the Western Digital SN850. It is consistently ranked as one of the best 4.0 NVMe.

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The problem is Samsungs TRIM implementation, not macOS. This is in the Samsung firmware and cannot be fixed with NVMeFix. The next OC release can deactivate TRIM again on Monterey, although this is will impact write performance and maybe wear leveling.

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
The problem is Samsungs TRIM implementation, not macOS. This is in the Samsung firmware and cannot be fixed with NVMeFix. The next OC release can deactivate TRIM again on Monterey, although this is will impact write performance and maybe wear leveling.
Thanks for the more detailed answer about the ability to disable TRIM in the next release. The TRIM on the Samsung NVMe is a specific proprietary driver. I doubt also, it will be fixed or that anything in OpenCore can be done to rectify it.

I don't know if this is within the palate of your knowledge, did Apple drop support for Samsung's TRIM or did Samsung update the NVMe drivers which caused the problem? I am more curious, I have all Western Digital NVMe drives as the Samsung's have been know for time to have TRIM issues.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.