No ethernet connection at GUI installer (installer loads files from web before GUI)

JollyJamma

AMD OS X Member
Hi all

I'm pulling my hair out over this.

I have no ethernet connection when I get to the GUI and select Install. It loads all of the resources from the internet before the GUI (I can see what it is connecting to during the verbose loading screen)

These are my specs: X570 Tomahawk, RTX 3080 + RX 580, AMD 3300X and trying to install OSX Monterey. I tried older OS versions but I can't get them to the GUI installer.

Looked at the output text file and the LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext for Realtek RTL8125 is injecting upon bootup (verbose text file output confirms this).

38:654 00:041 OC: Prelinked injection LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext (LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext) - Success

I've tried changing OSBundleRequired from Network-Root to Root in info.plist for the RTL kext.
My ROM is set to my MAC address and the LAN connection works in Linux (POP OS) and WIndows.

I've used multiple prebuilt binary editions of the kext from here (I can't seem to reply to the forum thread, even though I think it'll be my best shot at figuring out what's going on. ) https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304235-intelmausiethernetkext-for-intel-onboard-lan/page/6/

I cannot select IPCONFIG -M in the command line of the GUI installer and select the speed of the network interface - there is no network interface.

Thanks all for any input. I've searched multiple forums to try get a solution and I can't seem to find it.

Attachments

• opencore-2022-01-25-113400.txt
    256 KB · Views: 1
  • config.plist
    34.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Info.plist
    2.7 KB · Views: 2

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Try this. Boot the installer and before you try installing launch Terminal. Enter the following then exit Terminal and try to install

Code:
ifconfig en0 media 1000baseT

JollyJamma

AMD OS X Member
Try this. Boot the installer and before you try installing launch Terminal. Enter the following then exit Terminal and try to install

Code:
ifconfig en0 media 1000baseT
Thank you for the reply.

I’ve tried this but there is no en0 interface.

I just get ‘interface en0 does not exist’

The only interface is lo0, gif0 and stf0.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Seems like then that Monterey has broken LucyRTL8125Ethernet on your board the same as SmallTree. It's doubtful that this will be fixed so I'd suggest Big Sur or a USB to LAN adapter as I have done for Monterey.

JollyJamma

AMD OS X Member
Seems like then that Monterey has broken LucyRTL8125Ethernet on your board the same as SmallTree. It's doubtful that this will be fixed so I'd suggest Big Sur or a USB to LAN adapter as I have done for Monterey.
Aha! I have a USB TYPE c to Ethernet adapter! Going to try that now.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Aha! I have a USB TYPE c to Ethernet adapter! Going to try that now.

That's exactly what I use :p No need for the type C on the rear so I'm not loosing a port lol

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
  1. Why are you linking or trying to use an Intel Ethernet kext with a Realtek Ethernet controller?
  2. LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext is the correct kext for the Realtek 8125B Lan controller on your motherboard.
  3. If the controller works in Windows and Linux as currently connected, that tends to rule out defective bios settings, cables, Ethernet switches, ports etc.
  4. Have you tried creating an installer with the macOS installation files restored to the USB drive, rather than use the recovery process?
    • Do you have access to another hack or a real Mac?
    • Using the CreateInstallMedia method and with the OS installation application downloaded and saved to the Applications folder on the other Hack or real Mac.
    • You might have more joy installing macOS Big Sur, once we have had a look at your OC EFI folder.
  5. I don't see an SSDT-DDGPU.aml or the -wegnoegpu boot argument in your config.plist, either should be used to disable the Nvidia RTX 3080. This usually means the Nvidia card could be trying to load with macOS.
  6. Have you tried running the installer with the Nvidia card physically removed from the system?
  7. I see you have haven't disconnected or physically removed any of the other NVME, M.2, SSD or HDD from your system. You should be booting with only the drive you intend to install macOS on to present/connected.
  8. When you arrived on the OC picker list did you use the ClearNvram.efi tool and reboot the system, to remove any previous NVRAM entries?

JollyJamma

AMD OS X Member
So using the USB Ethernet adapter did work.

@Edhawk, I’ll get back to you on the list of items you’ve mentioned now.

I’m sure that the next I’m using for the Ethernet is correct though. I will double check.

JollyJamma

AMD OS X Member
  1. Why are you linking or trying to use an Intel Ethernet kext with a Realtek Ethernet controller
Am I? I could have sworn Im using the correct Kext.
  1. LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext is the correct kext for the Realtek 8125B Lan controller on your motherboard.

1. If the controller works in Windows and Linux as currently connected, that tends to rule out defective bios settings, cables, Ethernet switches, ports etc.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
  1. Have you tried creating an installer with the macOS installation files restored to the USB drive, rather than use the recovery process?
    • Do you have access to another hack or a real Mac? I'm getting a real mac soon for this very reason.
    • Using the CreateInstallMedia method and with the OS installation application downloaded and saved to the Applications folder on the other Hack or real Mac.
    • You might have more joy installing macOS Big Sur, once we have had a look at your OC EFI folder. I do think I need to try Big Sur
  2. I don't see an SSDT-DDGPU.aml or the -wegnoegpu boot argument in your config.plist, either should be used to disable the Nvidia RTX 3080. This usually means the Nvidia card could be trying to load with macOS. Yes, I need to disable it as I'm getting reboots before I can get into the OS.
  3. Have you tried running the installer with the Nvidia card physically removed from the system? No, I need to try that today or this weekend.
  4. I see you have haven't disconnected or physically removed any of the other NVME, M.2, SSD or HDD from your system. You should be booting with only the drive you intend to install macOS on to present/connected. I tried that and I don't think it made a difference to the LAN issue.
  5. When you arrived on the OC picker list did you use the ClearNvram.efi tool and reboot the system, to remove any previous NVRAM entries? No, I will look into this.
Thank you for your time.
I'm going to try using just the RX 580 in the system to prevent any issues. The USB LAN adapter works fine for what I need though.

clover84

AMD OS X Member
When I updated to Monterey, I lost both LAN (RTL8125) AND wifi ("native" fenvi card). I guess it's the MSI motherboard issue :/ I have MSI MEG Unify

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@clover84 purchasing a USB to Ethernet adapter might be the order of the day. They are fairly inexpensive, work with USB3 ports and provide reasonable throughput.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.