Config.plist wrong?

Edwin

AMD OS X Member
Hi guys, I accidentally replaced an old config.plist with my current one (I forgot to make a copy, how stupido I can be) and now Monterey won't boot. Any thoughts/help?
Hardware: Mobo Asus Prime X470 Pro, GPU AMD R9 390, CPU Ryzen 5 3600 6-core.
Greetings from the NL

Attachments

• config.plist
    53.8 KB · Views: 7

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
-no_compat_check isn't needed if you've got the correct SMBios.
slide=201 Doubtful you need this.

Apart from that, looks good.

Edwin

AMD OS X Member
Thanks Shaneee! Everything works, even Metal. Final question: Is it possible to get my dvd-drive working in Bug Sur?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Great. Technically it should work OOB. What drive is it?

Edwin

AMD OS X Member

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I'm assuming it works in Windows? My thought was it was using a SATA port that's disabled because of a M.2 drive. If that's not the case then AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext may be of some help.

Edwin

AMD OS X Member
It works in Windblows eh Windows.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Try with that kext then. Does it show in System Information at all?

Edwin

AMD OS X Member
Kext is inserted but no results.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Is it picked up in System Information or in Hackintool?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@Edwin if the DVD player was active in macOS it would appear as shown in the following screenshots:

Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 20.19.33.png Hackintool Peripherals

Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 20.20.00.png System Information > Disk Burning

Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 20.20.16.png System Information > SATA

Which SATA port do you have the DVD connected to in your system?

The DVD device will be working at 1.5GB not the full 6GB that a SATA port can provide, this is normal. The drive should work with any functioning SATA, SATA2 or SATA3 cable, because of the native speed of the drive.

There are 6 x SATA3 connections on your motherboard, as shown in the screenshot from your motherboard's user manual:

Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 20.26.57.png SATA ports on Asus Prim X470 Pro motherboard

As far as I can tell these ports do not share PCIe lanes with the 2 x M.2 connectors. So they should all be available even when the 2 x M.2 connectors are populated.

This is what the Manual says about the M.2 connectors:

Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 20.27.33.png M.2 connectors on Asus Prim X470 Pro motherboard

You need to check that the DVD device is active and enabled in your Bios.
You need to check that the SATA and SATA Power connectors are fully seated in the motherboard/PSU and in the back of the DVD device.
You may need to try swapping SATA cables to see if the one you are currently using is defective.

Edwin

AMD OS X Member
@Edwin if the DVD player was active in macOS it would appear as shown in the following screenshots:

View attachment 4841 Hackintool Peripherals

View attachment 4842 System Information > Disk Burning

View attachment 4843 System Information > SATA

The DVD device will be working at 1.5GB not the full 6GB that a SATA port can provide, this is normal. The drive should work with any functioning SATA, SATA2 or SATA3 cable, because of the native speed of the drive.

There are 6 x SATA3 connections on your motherboard, as shown in the screenshot from your motherboard's user manual:

View attachment 4844 SATA ports on Asus Prim X470 Pro motherboard

As far as I can tell these ports do not share PCIe lanes with the 2 x M.2 connectors. So they should all be available even when the 2 x M.2 connectors are populated.

View attachment 4845 M.2 connectors on Asus Prim X470 Pro motherboard

You need to check that the SATA and SATA Power connectors are fully seated in the motherboard/PSU and in the back of the DVD device.
You may need to try swapping SATA cables to see if the one you are currently using is defective.
Awesome! This I gonna try this very weekend. 1000x thanks!!!

Edwin

AMD OS X Member

View attachment 4841 Hackintool Peripherals

View attachment 4842 System Information > Disk Burning

View attachment 4843 System Information > SATA

View attachment 4844 SATA ports on Asus Prim X470 Pro motherboard

View attachment 4845 M.2 connectors on Asus Prim X470 Pro motherboard

Poop! I checked everything, tried all sata ports but no dvd device is shown in Big Sur. In Windows the dvd drive is visible. Is the kext ok, I wonder?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
That kext is only used to show the name of a SATA port that Apple doesn't natively use. It is a plist only kext, it has no other function, i.e. it doesn't make the SATA port work, it just names the controller correctly.

I use it in my Haswell and FX system's for a Marvell, Asmedia and Series-9 SATA controller, so they are named correctly in System Information > SATA report, as shown below.

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 13.50.41.png SATA controllers in Intel Hack, would be named as 'Generic SATA' if AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext wasn't used.

Which SATA controller does your system use?
Which DVD/Blu-Ray player device are you using?

Have you checked that the SATA ports are all set to AHCI in the bios?

Some BD/DVD devices don't play well with macOS.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

Edwin

AMD OS X Member
That kext is only used to show the name of a SATA port that Apple doesn't natively use. It is a plist only kext, it has no other function, i.e. it doesn't make the SATA port work, it just names the controller correctly.

I use it in my Haswell and FX system's for a Marvell, Asmedia and Series-9 SATA controller, so they are named correctly in System Information > SATA report, as shown below.

View attachment 4873 SATA controllers in Intel Hack, would be named as 'Generic SATA' if AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext wasn't used.

Which SATA controller does your system use?
Which DVD/Blu-Ray player device are you using?

Have you checked that the SATA ports are all set to AHCI in the bios?

Some BD/DVD devices don't play well with macOS.
Hi Edhawk, everything works in Windblows eh Windows. But not in Big Sur :-(
This is my DVD Writer:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Can you post a screenshot showing the settings for your WD 1TB drive, from System Information > SATA, as shown below in the example from my WD Green 2TB drive.

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 18.21.24.png System Information > SATA - AHCI SATA drive

The Samsung 860 Pro is a PCI card, so the screenshot above in post #50 doesn't show the correct information. We need to examine the SATA connections, not the M.2/PCI connections.

If your Bios is set correctly, i.e. with the SATA ports set to work in AHCI mode (not RAID), and the SATA power & DATA cables are connected correctly then your LG DVD Writer should work.

Which SATA port are you connecting the DVD Writer through?

Edwin

AMD OS X Member
Can you post a screenshot showing the settings for your WD 1TB drive, from System Information > SATA, as shown below in the example from my WD Green 2TB drive.

View attachment 4874 System Information > SATA - AHCI SATA drive

The Samsung 860 Pro is a PCI card, so the screenshot above in post #50 doesn't show the correct information. We need to examine the SATA connections, not the M.2/PCI connections.

If your Bios is set correctly, i.e. with the SATA ports set to work in AHCI mode (not RAID), and the SATA power & DATA cables are connected correctly then your LG DVD Writer should work.

Which SATA port are you connecting the DVD Writer through?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK, that clarifies a few things.
  • First the WD drive is PCI AHCI drive, used for Windows storage. It is not a GUID/GPT drive, but rather a Legacy Master Boot Record formatted drive.
  • Second the Samsung 860 Pro SSD contains your Windows OS. This is a GUID/GPT drive, so should show and boot from the OC boot screen.
  • Third you have macOS installed on a Samsung 970 EVO SSD (PCI NVME) drive, formatted as APFS. This drive doesn't connect to the SATA controller.
  • The AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext does nothing to clarify the name of your AMD X470 chipset/SATA controller. This is not surprising as the kext is aimed at SATA controllers used in Intel motherboards.
These are the SATA controllers found in the ACHI_3rdParty_SATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 21.43.25.png Controller Dictionary elements compacted to show all the SATA controller names in this kext. No AMD SATA controllers present.

You still haven't confirmed which SATA port the LG DVD writer is connected to on the motherboard, or if you found any issues with the data and power cables being used by the DVD device.

Edwin

AMD OS X Member
OK, that clarifies a few things.
  • First the WD drive is PCI AHCI drive, used for Windows storage. It is not a GUID/GPT drive, but rather a Legacy Master Boot Record formatted drive.
  • Second the Samsung 860 Pro SSD contains your Windows OS. This is a GUID/GPT drive, so should show and boot from the OC boot screen.
  • Third you have macOS installed on a Samsung 970 EVO SSD (PCI NVME) drive, formatted as APFS. This drive doesn't connect to the SATA controller.
  • The AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext does nothing to clarify the name of your AMD X470 chipset/SATA controller. This is not surprising as the kext is aimed at SATA controllers used in Intel motherboards.
These are the SATA controllers found in the ACHI_3rdParty_SATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

View attachment 4881 Controller Dictionary elements compacted to show all the SATA controller names in this kext. No AMD SATA controllers present.

You still haven't confirmed which SATA port the LG DVD writer is connected to on the motherboard, or if you found any issues with the data and power cables being used by the DVD device.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.