Crackling audio and dropouts [ASUS X570-I] [solved]

Moondragon

AMD OS X Member
Hi. I experience constant crackling audio and dropouts and can’t find a solution.

Here’s what I found out until now:

– It occurs only in macOS not in Windows.
– It occurs both in Catalina and Mojave (two separate installs).
– It doesn’t matter whether I use AppleALC.kext or VoodooHDA.kext
– It doesn’t matter which layout-id I use.
– It doesn’t matter which audio resolution or bit depth I select in Audio-MIDI-Setup.app.
– It doesn’t matter whether I use the internal audio device (SupremeFX S1220A) or an USB audio device. USB is probably even worse.
– Disabling the internal audio device in BIOS and only using USB doesn’t fix it either.
– AirPlay is not affected regardless whether system wide AirPlay or app specific AirPlay is used.

Does anyone have an idea what else I can try or what could be the cause of the issue?

Currently I suspect it could have something to do with HPET.

I tried to create a SSTD-HPET.aml but unfortunately https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Universal/irq.html doesn’t contain detailed information and SSDTTime doesn’t work on my DSDT (known issue: https://github.com/corpnewt/SSDTTime/issues/7). It appears that HPET is at the root level of my DSDT and not under _SB.PCI0.LPC or something similar.

I don’t have much knowledge about how this ACPI stuff works.

As far as I know I run the newest version of OC and all the kexts/drivers. If you need more information about my system please let me know.

Attachments

• EFI (before HPET).zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 3

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

djmartain

AMD OS X Member

Moondragon

AMD OS X Member
  • I put my GPU (RX5700XT) on PCIe 3 instead of 4

That helped to solve the issue!

Although it wasn’t actually the PCIe setting but the BIOS update I had to perform to get that option. I switched it back to Gen 4 after I got it working with Gen 3 and it still works. My board doesn’t have a serial port (apart from USB) so that couldn’t have been the issue either.

I might look more into HPET later but for now everything I need is working.

Thanks to both of you!

djmartain

AMD OS X Member
Great to hear!

edigrex

AMD OS X Member
Hi everyone! Same problem, but i have Asrock B450m motherboard. May be someone have solution?

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.