Perfect EFI compromised! Now no boot at all.

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
Stalling at
kunk_alert 0 AMDCPUSupport : : start trying to init pci service... RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)

Any ideas as to what this stall means?

I had an ASRock Creator up and perfect with Catalina. I was working on getting High Sierra installed so I could use Nvidia for machine learning. I couldn't get it installed on the ASRock because the keyboard didn't work, so I bought a Gigabyte MB for the hell of it and it booted into Catalina NP. But it was a 1.0 board, so no TB3. And the Keyboard still didn't work. @ediblehandshake2 said he got High Sierra install working on with a non Apple keyboard. So I thought I'd give it a try.

So, I swapped MB's back to the ASRock. But now can't boot past RTC. I've tried all the motherboards I have here. 2 Creators and the Gigabyte. I've tried all the EFI's I have going back to my first successful boot. All of them fail at this point. I swapped ram and now am thinking it might be the graphics card. But the GPU boots fine in windows. Uggggh, I hate that windows always boots, and then it takes like 10 minutes to shut down.

I'm at a loss. It's the same EFI folder. Wondering if someone more knowledgable can help me troubleshoot why this is happening.

Thanks in advance.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Did you check BIOS settings? Especially Above 4G decoding
Maybe CMOS did reset between board switching.

The RTC warning happens on every boot and can be ignored. The AMDCPUSupport log is probably from AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext, if theres nothing wrong with the BIOS settings maybe try disabling the kext (although I don't think that is the issue).

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
Thanks @Shaneee
Take a look at this part of the troubleshooting guide,
Yeah man, thanks for that grounding moment. In my crazy going from one MB to the next and having countless EFI's and config.plists (very well organized, but a lot), I forgot that the MB had "above 4G" disabled and no npci=0x2000 in the plist. Enabled it and it fired right up! Sometimes it's the simplist thing.

Any thoughts on which one is better?

winterwolf

AMD OS X Member
Did you check BIOS settings? Especially Above 4G decoding
Maybe CMOS did reset between board switching.
Yes @Aluveitie you nailed the problem. Cmos reset. I'm good now.
Any thoughts on if "Above 4G" or npci=0x2000 is better?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.