Ryzen 9 3900X, ASRock X570 ITX/TB3, Sapphire RX 5500 Pulse, Catalina

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
I can't believe it. When I started up my Hackintosh this morning, my external thunderbolt 3 drives showed up. They are raid drives associated with my Win 10 System. The external enclosure is an OWC that can hold four M.2 drives.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 7.16.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 7.16.25 AM.png
    239.7 KB · Views: 73

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
Sorry I was not clear in the previous message. I have my USB installer done. I have tried my own EFI, which will boot, but the installer crashes. Then I want to try this EFI, but I cannot see the Install macOS Catalina with this EFI.
Here is the structure of my USB drive named Boot (screenshot). Do you have the boot file in the EFI folder? I also use this to boot my MacOSX Hard Drive. I just copied it over.

Also, I did not use my Installer USB to install everything. I made a clone of my Catalina Macintosh HD using Carbon Copy Cloner and I just opened the EFI partition and copied the EFI folder to it. It absolutely worked.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 7.52.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 7.52.27 AM.png
    335.2 KB · Views: 70

YjunW

AMD OS X Member
Here is the structure of my USB drive named Boot (screenshot). Do you have the boot file in the EFI folder? I also use this to boot my MacOSX Hard Drive. I just copied it over.

Also, I did not use my Installer USB to install everything. I made a clone of my Catalina Macintosh HD using Carbon Copy Cloner and I just opened the EFI partition and copied the EFI folder to it. It absolutely worked.
Thanks for the advice. The Carbon Copy Cloner works perfectly.

YjunW

AMD OS X Member
My EFI is not intended to copy and install but as a reference point. To do the basic install you just need the EC patch, everything else is optional. In your case my scanPolicy does not allow to boot from USB, internal drive only. Set it to 0.
Thanks, it works with a clone SSD. I didn't figure out my previous issue (Catalina installer crashes) but get around with cloning. Thanks for the EFI. My sleep has no issue. Just Airdrop seems not working ( I have replaced my wifi card).

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 13.25.48.png
Update went smooth but be sure to disable RadeonBoost if you have a Navi card. Otherwise you'll get a kernel panic with 10.15.5.

priceless

AMD OS X Member
Hey, nice build! I'm wondering what made you choose this motherboard? Does it have a specific chip that others don't? Or is it the TB3 you wanted? I'm considering a similar build but not yet sure what motherboard to pick.

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@priceless Thank!
Initially it was Thunderbolt and the solid reviews I saw. I did not end up using Thunderbolt, but I'm using the DisplayPort In/Type C to drive my Display with one single USB cable for Audio/Video/USB-Hub. I don't think any of the other X570 ITX has a DisplayPort Input. So I'd say all in all it still worked out quite well.

First you'd to decide if you want go with X570 or the coming B550 because X570 is a bit overkill for ITX (at least for the ASRock as it only has one M.2 slot).
For X570 there are only 3 options anyway:
  • ASRock: Which TB3/DisplayPort In but only one M.2 slot, but solid VRM and cooling even for low airflow. But the design might limit memory overclocking.
  • Asus: Looks very solid and a little overkill, quite high price. Has 2 M.2 slots and active cooling of VRM though which can be nice for ITX with AIO and only little air flow in that area.
  • Gigabyte: Also a good board but it only has 2 Fan headers, if you want to use an AIO you need to use the USB connection or a fan header...

As I heard Gigabyte has a good reputation for Hackintoshes, but with only two fan headers I could not use it. The B550 from Gigabyte fixes this.
Asus would be nice for overclocking if you could actually overclock the Ryzen well sadly, so you have to justify the high price with something else.

At the moment I'd wait for the B550 reviews and make a decision then. The B550 all come with 2.5Gb ethernet from Intel, I don't know if that is supported by MacOS or any kext but might be something nice to have too.

Edit
One other thing I forgot, one potential draw back I noticed on the Gigabyte X570 ITX is that all 4 USB 3.2 ports on the back are connected to the USB Controller on the CPU. This is the one that most likely might cause issues with sleep. So if sleep is important I'd first check with someone who has that board otherwise you risk loosing USB 3 on all ports on the back if you have to disable that controller. With the ASRock I only had 2 of 4 Ports downgraded to USB 2 only. (Not counting those on the case, they are connected to the chipset on both boards)

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@jwrandall Using RadeonBoost with the Radeon VII is still safe on 10.15.5, only affects Navi cards.

Sdgros01

AMD OS X Member
After messing around more with thunderbolt I’ve been able to get it to somewhat successfully connect and establish if I boot into windows shut down completely, boot f11 and select my open core drive.

Once everything is established these are the screenshots of the controller in system profiler. Any ideas as to get it working without having to do the boot dance with Windows ?
ab367e361138be3a3851f69c3ae3599e.jpg

372bd4fd973616df8605506371dad960.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
As far as I know (there are very good blog posts about this) the controller is in power saving mode when no device is connected and MacOS does not detect it. Currently the only way to get the onboard chip working is by connecting your device before boot.

Sdgros01

AMD OS X Member
As far as I know (there are very good blog posts about this) the controller is in power saving mode when no device is connected and MacOS does not detect it. Currently the only way to get the onboard chip working is by connecting your device before boot.

I actually even ran the Thunderbolt Display through a node pro powered enclosure to ensure power is running to the monitor but still run into this. Not sure if I try and plug and unplug once opencore loads to the the Apple logo. I haven’t gotten that far yet

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
I finished up my second Hackintosh today. The first was an ASRock X570 Creator with a Ryzen 9 3900 and the second was just today, an ASRock Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3. Thanks to the information I got here from Aluveitie, I was able to do it. There were some differences though. TB3 does work on both
I don't know if it makes a difference but on the Gaming board, I am using a TB3 to TB2 adapter. Maybe the adapter is holding the door open so I don't have to do the Windows thing first. But it could be working as a USB 3.1 connector I guess.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I just got a pull request from Xin Jiang with an SSDT that should get Thunderbolt HotPlug working on this board!

I cannot test it at the moment as don't have an TB 2 -> TB 3 dongle at hand (it's in the office I...).

Sdgros01

AMD OS X Member
I just got a pull request from Xin Jiang with an SSDT that should get Thunderbolt HotPlug working on this board!

I cannot test it at the moment as don't have an TB 2 -> TB 3 dongle at hand (it's in the office I...).

I’m watching this closely will you update the repo if it’s successful?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I’ve merged it already. I cannot test it as I don’t have my TB2-3 dongle at home. But it does not brake anything either.

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
This for theASRock X570 Gaming IXT/TB3 motherboard. A little further investigation on my TB3 test. I plugged in a true TB3 drive and withouthout going to Windows first, the drive mounted. It is an OWC Express 4M2 enclosure . I have two M2s set up as a Raid, The M2s are Western Digital SN 550 1 TB drives in a striped Raid configuration. Running the Blackmagic Disk Speed test , I got these results.

DiskSpeedTest.png

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
This for theASRock X570 Gaming IXT/TB3 motherboard. A little further investigation on my TB3 test. I plugged in a true TB3 drive and withouthout going to Windows first, the drive mounted. It is an OWC Express 4M2 enclosure . I have two M2s set up as a Raid, The M2s are Western Digital SN 550 1 TB drives in a striped Raid configuration. Running the Blackmagic Disk Speed test , I got these results.

View attachment 429
This is Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 8.16.35 AM.pnga screen shot of the System Report for NVMExpress showing all four drives. The other two Samsungs are associated with Windows 10.

Sdgros01

AMD OS X Member
Something went array in my build and had to reinstall everything. I have noticed an issue with 0.5.9

785ffffe2ba3f6b7f59cdd5a7a936419.jpg

Any input in the proper way to get everything back. Unable to see any option but macOS/recovery/reset nvram which is okay with me but want to get rid of these errors displaying before loading OpenCore launcher

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Sdgros01 Every OpenCore version usually has some changes in the schema of the config.plist
I usually use a diff with the sample.plist to update my config.plist, or you can consult the Differences.pdf to update it. With 0.5.9 notably some block sections were renamed to delete and those 3 entries listed in your screenshot were removed. (And one or two new entries were added)

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.