CPU Power AMD Ryzen 5 3600

savage001

AMD OS X Member
So this is my first ever amd build and while dusting it out the other day I realised 2 things.
I am running two 6 pins to my GPU from the same cable (y-cable) I do have another one I can put in so I have two separate power lines coming from PSU as I’ve read that it’s better for the GPU and PSU this way.
Secondly when I built my rig I have the 8 pin CPU connected but next to it is a 4 pin socket. I don’t over clock and don’t plan too so it this needed? If it is I don’t have a PSU to 4 pin plug.
I am planning on upgrading my CPU to a 5000 series so maybe if the current R5 3600 doesn’t need the extra 4 pin maybe the 5000 series will? Don’t know which is why I’m asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
So this is my first ever amd build and while dusting it out the other day I realised 2 things.
I am running two 6 pins to my GPU from the same cable (y-cable) I do have another one I can put in so I have two separate power lines coming from PSU as I’ve read that it’s better for the GPU and PSU this way.
Secondly when I built my rig I have the 8 pin CPU connected but next to it is a 4 pin socket. I don’t over clock and don’t plan too so it this needed? If it is I don’t have a PSU to 4 pin plug.
I am planning on upgrading my CPU to a 5000 series so maybe if the current R5 3600 doesn’t need the extra 4 pin maybe the 5000 series will? Don’t know which is why I’m asking.

With the GPU it’s always a much better idea to run 2 cables instead of one with a split but saying that using a split power cable generally works fine. Thats actually a rule of mine at work, I don’t let anybody do builds and use one cable for the GPU if it’s anything above a 2060 or RX 6700.
As for the extra power to the CPU, Don’t worry about it as it’s a bit of a gimmick placed on the motherboard to get you excited. Unless you are doing extreme OverClocking you can leave it disconnected or connect it up if you would prefer too (nothing will change in your life either way..😂 )

savage001

AMD OS X Member
With the GPU it’s always a much better idea to run 2 cables instead of one with a split but saying that using a split power cable generally works fine. Thats actually a rule of mine at work, I don’t let anybody do builds and use one cable for the GPU if it’s anything above a 2060 or RX 6700.
As for the extra power to the CPU, Don’t worry about it as it’s a bit of a gimmick placed on the motherboard to get you excited. Unless you are doing extreme OverClocking you can leave it disconnected or connect it up if you would prefer too (nothing will change in your life either way.. )

Thanks for the clarification.
At the moment I still have a RX580 so I think the Y-cable should be ok but when gpu prices eventually come back down I’m planning on getting a 6700xt or 6800xt depending what macOS supports.

PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Devil OC 16GB RDNA 2 $1899 here in Australia

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Thanks for the clarification.
At the moment I still have a RX580 so I think the Y-cable should be ok but when gpu prices eventually come back down I’m planning on getting a 6700xt or 6800xt depending what macOS supports.

RX580 using a split is fine bud, no problem there. 5700XT and newer is where you wanna keep it separate.
6700 XT won’t get support, I think what we have now supported is all you are going to get so thats the RX 6800, 6800 XT and 6900 XT but not the XTXH version of the 6990 XT and that’s your lot.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.