AudioGod's ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING - Big Sur & Monterey Beta - OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI

gatorchamp85

AMD OS X Member
Shouldn’t be a issue as the mapping is correct and you use the same board as me.
FYI, You can’t use a OS older then 10.15 with my EFI.
Good to know. I'll try a few more iterations, maybe a minimal EFI just to get the installer booted. I'll report back in the event that helps anyone.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Good to know. I'll try a few more iterations, maybe a minimal EFI just to get the installer booted. I'll report back in the event that helps anyone.
Have you tried setting the SecureBootModel to Disabled?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@gatorchamp85 Give me 2 minutes and I will create a EFI for you too try with new smbios details. BRB

Are you wanting to use the Intel onboard WLAN?

gatorchamp85

AMD OS X Member
Have you tried setting the SecureBootModel to Disabled?
I did try Disabled and Default, neither seemed to make a difference.
@gatorchamp85 Give me 2 minutes and I will create a EFI for you too try with new smbios details. BRB

Are you wanting to use the Intel onboard WLAN?
Yes, I had added the newest beta kexts for Intel wireless and Bluetooth.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@gatorchamp85 Drop the EFI onto your USB Installers EFI Partition and try the Big Sur installer now.
Ive added new SMBIOS Details so you don't need to do anything other then try it. Total Plug and Play.
Good Luck.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.7 MB · Views: 22

AudioGod

Guru
Guru

gatorchamp85

AMD OS X Member
Still dying out in roughly the same spot.

I'm going to try a few different installer versions, starting with 11.3, see if that makes a difference vs. the current App Store version.

gatorchamp85

AMD OS X Member
Ok, so long story short, I went to square one and built my own EFI from scratch using the DEBUG channel. Using this, I was able to boot the Catalina installer and install it on an NVMe SSD.

This is a fairly barebones EFI, I've attached it here for reference.

One question @AudioGod, I noticed you do not have the NVMEFix or AppleMCEReporterDisabler kexts in your EFI, is there a particular reason or conflict for that? I included them in my own EFI per the Dortania guide and was able to successfully boot.

I then tried to boot to the installed Mac partition using the AudioGod EFI, with the only change being to update my SMBIOS details that I successfully installed with previously. It stalls out about 75% of the way through the boot sequence.

I'm wondering now if it's possible to troubleshoot my way through this by somehow merging the two EFIs. I've at least eliminated the notion that it is an installer issue at this point, which is a step in the right direction.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Ok, so long story short, I went to square one and built my own EFI from scratch using the DEBUG channel. Using this, I was able to boot the Catalina installer and install it on an NVMe SSD.

This is a fairly barebones EFI, I've attached it here for reference.

One question @AudioGod, I noticed you do not have the NVMEFix or AppleMCEReporterDisabler kexts in your EFI, is there a particular reason or conflict for that? I included them here per the Dortania guide and was able to successfully boot.

I then tried to boot to the installed Mac partition using the AudioGod EFI, with the only change being to update my SMBIOS details that I successfully installed with previously. It stalls out about 75% of the way through the boot sequence.

I'm wondering now if it's possible to troubleshoot my way through this by somehow merging the two EFIs. I've at least eliminated the notion that it is an installer issue at this point, which is a step in the right direction.
You don’t need AppleMCEReporterDisabler with Catalina and newer and the Samsung 970 that I use also does not need NVMEFix so I don’t use it.

Its possible that whatever NVMe you are using does need NVMEFix and maybe that’s why you can’t boot off my EFI I guess.

Its also possible that something connected to USB is causing it and your self made EFI I’m guessing doesn’t have a usb map so not all ports will be open. It’s possible to test this theory easily just by disabling the Kext. (I’m just throwing ideas out there )

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
OpenCore 0.7.2 EFI Update (Monterey 12.0 Beta4 Ready), 2nd August 2021

The EFI has now been updated to the my latest version.
Changes made include,
  • LucyRTL8125Ethernet 1.1.0
  • Lilu 1.5.5,
  • AppleALC 1.6.3,
  • WhateverGreen 1.5.2,
  • VirtualSMC 1.2.6,
  • RestrictEvents 1.0.3,
  • SMCAMDProcessor 0.7
  • New Universal AMD Patches Monterey 12.0 Beta4 Compatible,
  • SIP Can now be toggled within OpenCanopy,
  • OpenCanopy Icons Updated,
  • OpenCore Updated to Revision 0.7.2 (Monterey Beta 4 Ready),
  • 2.5Ghz Ethernet Auto Negotiation Fixed,
  • Memory Mapping is now Being done via RestrictEvents,
  • About This Mac now displays the correct AMD Processor info done via RestrictEvents,
  • Plus other minor tweaks and changes to the config.
Note 1 - If your not using a RX 6800 or any other Navi/BigNavi GPU then remove agdpmod=ignore from the boot arguments.

Note 2 - If you are using Catalina then in the Config.plist under Misc->Security Change SecureBootModel=Default to j160 or Catalina will not boot.

Note 3 - If you are using a 6 or Less Core Ryzen then go into the Config,plist and under PlatformInfo->Generic Change the ProcessorType from 0 to 1537, This will list your CPU info correctly inside About This Mac.

Note 4 - The SmallTreeIntel82576.kext is not working under Monterey 12.0 so if you plan on playing around with the new OS for now make sure you use the 2.5GHz ethernet port instead.

For OpenCore Using PlistEdit Pro add your details by modifying the following
1627932237694.png

IMPORTANT PATCH INFO TO SET THE CORRECT CORE COUNT FOR YOUR CPU
Core Count patch needs to be modified to boot your system. Find the two algrey - Force cpuid_cores_per_package patches and alter the Replace value only.

Changing BA000000 0000/BA000000 0090* to BA <CoreCount> 0000 0000/BA <CoreCount> 0000 0090* substituting <CoreCount> with the hexadeciamal value matching your physical core count.

Note: The three different values reflect the patch for different versions of macOS. Be sure to change all three if you boot macOS 10.13 to macOS 12

See the table below for the values matching your CPU Core Count.

CoreCountHexadecimal
6 Core06
8 Core08
12 Core0C
16 Core10
32 Core20
So for example a 6 Core 5600X would result in these replace values, BA 06 0000 0000/BA 06 0000 0090
Or a 12 Core 5900X that I have it setup as standard would result in these replace values, BA 0C 0000 0000/BA 0C 0000 0090

12 Core EXAMPLE
Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 19.51.06.png

Power Gadget App
The AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext has been updated and has gone from good to Amazing so make sure you download the latest version of the Power Gadget App to make the most of it.
AMD.Power.Gadget.app.zip

Finally and as always, MAKE SURE YOU RESET YOUR NVRAM BEFORE BOOTING INTO THE NEW EFI.

OpenCore EFI Update V0.7.2 - 02/08/2021

Attachments

• Asus X570-E 072 EFI .zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
AudioGod,

I have a question on core count for the 5950x which is 16 cores.

Should it look something like this?
BA 10 0000 0000/BA 10 0000 009

In your example it is BA 0C 0000 009 but in the EFI it is BA 0C 0000 0090.

is 9 or 90 the proper ending for a 16 core processor?

Thank you for the help.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
AudioGod,

I have a question on core count for the 5950x which is 16 cores.

Should it look something like this?
BA 10 0000 0000/BA 10 0000 009

In your example it is BA 0C 0000 009 but in the EFI it is BA 0C 0000 0090.

is 9 or 90 the proper ending for a 16 core processor?

Thank you for the help.
16 core is 10 so mine is 0C just change them to 10 and your done.
BA 10 0000 0000/BA 10 0000 0090

I see it now…lol..sorry it was a Typo. corrected. 😂

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
16 core is 10 so mine is 0C just change them to 10 and your done.
BA 10 0000 0000/BA 10 0000 0090

I see it now…lol..sorry it was a Typo. corrected. 😂
It boots fine with the only 12 cores selected in the default EFI. I forgot to change it and noticed the missing 0.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Your EFI is incredible and the attention to detail is superb.

Have a good day.

gatorchamp85

AMD OS X Member
You don’t need AppleMCEReporterDisabler with Catalina and newer and the Samsung 970 that I use also does not need NVMEFix so I don’t use it.

Its possible that whatever NVMe you are using does need NVMEFix and maybe that’s why you can’t boot off my EFI I guess.

Its also possible that something connected to USB is causing it and your self made EFI I’m guessing doesn’t have a usb map so not all ports will be open. It’s possible to test this theory easily just by disabling the Kext. (I’m just throwing ideas out there )
Went around in a lot of circles, but finally found out the problem and successfully booted using your EFI.

NVMEFix was the tipoff, that seemed to be required to boot and I did a little more digging around that. I have a Hynix P31 NVMe as my Windows drive and it turns out that particular drive had major problems that cause kernel panics with Opencore. Even when it is not the boot drive, just being present in the system causes boot to crash.

I found this Reddit thread, which called out the issue and also stated that Hynix had pushed out a firmware update to address it. I updated the firmware and it instantly booted with the AudioGod EFI, no changes needed.

I appreciate all the help, just posting this in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Everything is working well so far, just going to play around with the GPU fixes and see if I can unlock higher refresh rates.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Went around in a lot of circles, but finally found out the problem and successfully booted using your EFI.

NVMEFix was the tipoff, that seemed to be required to boot and I did a little more digging around that. I have a Hynix P31 NVMe as my Windows drive and it turns out that particular drive had major problems that cause kernel panics with Opencore. Even when it is not the boot drive, just being present in the system causes boot to crash.

I found this Reddit thread, which called out the issue and also stated that Hynix had pushed out a firmware update to address it. I updated the firmware and it instantly booted with the AudioGod EFI, no changes needed.

I appreciate all the help, just posting this in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Everything is working well so far, just going to play around with the GPU fixes and see if I can unlock higher refresh rates.
Awesome Buddy at last...lol
Make sure to update to the latest EFI I posted not so long ago today and read the notes carefully.
If you want to try Monterey do not install it as your main OS and use a spare disk to test it out with.
Enjoy :)

Oh and make sure you update to the latest Power Gadget App, Its Awesome.
AMD.Power.Gadget.app.zip

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
AudioGod,

Your EFI is a thing of beauty. The modification of the cores to 16 dramatically improved performance. My system went from being great to exceptional.

Many thanks.

I know that you configure the EFI for your personal use but it is truly generous of you to share both the EFI and you knowledge.

z-plane

AMD OS X Member
Is possible to ask about part of OpenCore config concerning Windows identifying itself as a the OpenCore Mac on a completely different motherboard here??

I should say, I don't have this motherboard or even an AMD system but I'm curious about this situation I have, I don't have bootcamp though...Maybe this difference is affecting identification.
It's a Gigabyte Z490 board, Intel CPU, SATA SSD running Monterey (Installed without interference of any other SSD connected.
I just now connected the Windows 11 Pro SSD which was previously installed with nothing else connected to the system, (actually another Z490 motherboard some weeks ago), so I booted to it from the OpenCore picker (selection 1 Windows).
===========================================================
I read in first post on this thread:

Windows BootCamp
"bypassed OpenCore when booting into any OS other than MacOS so Windows and Linux won’t see your PC as a MAC and no parts of the ACPI or your smbios Details will be loaded into any other OS.
This also means that bootcamp for windows will not work so if you wanted to use this feature then all you need to do is allow OpenCore to inject your smbios details again by making the following changes to the Config.plist.

Kernel -> Quirks -> CustomSMBIOSGuid -> No
PlatformInfo -> UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Create
So I have these two settings same as mentioned in Opencore 0.7.2 config:
CustomSMBIOSGuid -> No
UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Create

Yet in Windows Settings About or System or whatever it is in that OS, it shows me "Acidanthera iMac20,2"
Motherboard:
Manufacturer = Acidanthera
Model = Mac-djbfjaisfjsbf
Version = iMac20,2
For sure I prefer Windows to run isolated from the macOS/OpenCore config. I am missing something else, maybe BIOS boot settings?

Not matter if no reply, just thought I'd ask since people here know seem familiar with dual booting.

Update, downloaded AudiGods EFI, looking in config it has set
CustomSMBIOSGuid -> YES
UpdateSMBIOSMode -> CUSTOM
So this is what need to be set to NOT inject into windows, and the No & Create setting mentioned is if you WANT injected info into Windows?

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@z-plane
CustomSMBIOSGuid ->Yes
UpdateSMBIOSMode ->Custom
will bypass that for you and show your real system details In windows unless you want it to display your Mac smbios.

CustomSMBIOSGuid -> No
UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Create
SpoofVender=No
Would show your SMBIOS Details as listed in MacOS

SpoofVender=Yes masks the SMBIOS Details to Acidanthera details.

z-plane

AMD OS X Member
Right, thanks man, now I got you, think it clicked once I downloaded your config to see what is in there...I'll adjust this and check it out. thanks dude

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.