Need a EFI for my laptop

af0209

AMD OS X Member
Hello. I need macOS Catalina for school and i need help installing it on my computer, it has an AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 TI, 8gb RAM, SSD NVME 500GB

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
AMD Laptops aren't supported in macOS. The integrated AMD GPU isn't supported neither is the Nvidia Turing series (1650Ti).

Also no need to PM me the same question ;)

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hello. I need macOS Catalina for school and i need help installing it on my computer, it has an AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 TI, 8gb RAM, SSD NVME 500GB
I can try and help.

Not sure if the admin is aware of this, but very recently we discovered that macOS does indeed support certain AMD APUs according to this list, since Catalina 10.15.4:

I have checked your Ryzen 5 4600H and it is using a Renoir APU which is in the list. So what you can do is, you can possibly try a similar AMD-based EFI build, but place your system specific device-ids or kexts in the list to test.

As it goes, I'd built a working EFI for my Atari VCS console (which uses an AMD Ryzen Picasso Vega 3 APU). My latest build actually boots and also works with Catalina and Big Sur. While I don't have hardware acceleration yet (because my VBIOS is currently locked on the console) I do have VESA mode output and DRM playback. If you need to check the needed BIOS settings you can do so here. > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-atari-vcs-2020-console.309903/

You can try my EFI I've attached below. I have changed some of the settings to cater for Renoir, so it all needs is your custom SMBIOS serial numbers and ROM values to work. Because it is supported natively now by macOS Catalina 10.15.4 you won't need any of the GPU SSDTs enabled. That is how my current VCS APU settings work.

Attachments

• EFI Renoir.zip
    21.6 MB · Views: 72

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure if the admin is aware of this, but very recently we discovered that macOS does indeed support certain AMD APUs according to this list, since Catalina 10.15.4:

Left over code from the Intel mobile GPU with integrated Vega graphics. Doesn't mean there is support at all. The macOS kernel references alot of stuff that isn't actually supported. Like the mention of "AuthenticAMD".

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Left over code from the Intel mobile GPU with integrated Vega graphics. Doesn't mean there is support at all. The macOS kernel references alot of stuff that isn't actually supported. Like the mention of "AuthenticAMD".
Umm no I have to disagree on this, they are not left over code. They are specifically marked RENOIR_A0, PICASSO_A0, RAVEN_A0, RAVEN2_A0, VANGOGH_A0. These are not Intel + AMD combos, they are AMD APU codes (as far as I am aware). Plus I have recently tested booting Big Sur on my Atari VCS Picasso/Raven2 IGPU without any extra SSDTs, boot-args or device-ids, and it booted up right into it with no issues, into 4K mode. That means it is natively supported.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Booting with full resolution doesn't mean it's natively supported tbh. If you get full acceleration etc then fair enough. Apple might have tested with the AMD APUs but then decided against it, thus the remnants left over in the source. Doesn't mean they are going to fully support them. They've no need to start using AMD now the have their own SoC. Just my two cents.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.