Ryzen 9 3900X, ASRock X570 ITX/TB3, Sapphire RX 5500 Pulse, Catalina

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
about.png2020-11-03_06-56-56.jpg

Build

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Mainboard: AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 (BIOS 2.71)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator (2x 32GB) DDR4-3600 CL18@CL16
Storage: Corsair MP600 (1000GB) M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0
Video Card: XFX Radeon VII 16GB
Power Supply: Corsair SF600 Platinum
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift (Mini-ITX)

Working
Audio
GPU
LAN
Shutdown
USB
DisplayPort In
Bluetooth
Sleep

Known issues
Thunderbolt without hot-plugging (devices need to be connected before boot but works fine as USB-C)

BIOS settings
CSM: disabled
Above 4G decoding: disabled
Fast boot: disabled
Deep sleep: disabled

Sleep
The CPU integrated USB Controller (SB.PCI0.GP13.XHC0) is the reason for restarts on wake up from sleep. Deactivating it either through SSDT patches or directly in the BIOS fixes this issue, but results in USB Ports 3 and 4 ending up as USB 2 only:
back_io.png

If the USB port of the integrated Bluetooth module on HS9 is set to 'internal' it resulted in a timeout/kernel panic when trying to enter sleep. Setting it to USB 2 fixed it.

Bluetooth
The integrated bluetooth is fully functional with the appropriate kext. Loading the firmware may fail upon boot and requires a reboot. Disabling Deep sleep in BIOS fixes it for cold boots.

EFI
For more background and EFI check out the Github repo: RyzenMacPro

Benchmarks
GB5_CPU.png
GB5_Metal.pngGB5_OpenCL.png
Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 22.15.38.png
ookla.png

Last edited:

danielgrieff

AMD OS X Member
Hey! I've got a very similar build to you, same motherboard etc, but Bluetooth for me isn't working at all. The module isn't getting loaded (it seems), any idea why that could be?

I examined your config and its basically identical to mine.

You mentioned disabling deep sleep in BIOS, but I can't find the option to do that. Any pointers?

Thanks!

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

danielgrieff

AMD OS X Member
@danielgrieff You need the two kexts from https://github.com/zxystd/IntelBluetoothFirmware since MacOS does not support Intel bluetooth by itself.
Deep Sleep is disabled by default, unless you changed it you're fine. It would be under Advanced -> ACPI Configuration though.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I installed those 2 kexts already. As an update, I managed to get bluetooth to work (once). I just booted like normal and there it was! I changed nothing... But it does seem to be quite random when it loads and doesnt load. Does that happen to you?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@danielgrieff I found that if Deep Sleep is enabled in S5 the firmware is lost and will fail on first boot again. Disabling it mostly solved this issue for me (until I change kexts in the EFI, then the first boot fails again once).

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I've played around with the parameters of the automatic speed adjustment of the AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement. The default behaviour goes up to full power for even slight load and stays up quite a bit. In my case just opening an empty tab in Safari might lead to noticeable spinning up of the cooler fans.

I played around with the parameters a little and built the latest version with slightly modified behaviour to step up to P1 before going to P0, and throttling faster back down again. I've tested it for some time now and I thought I might share my modified kext (re-built on the latest version 0.61). Source can be found here: https://github.com/aluveitie/SMCAMDProcessor/tree/speedadjustment

I take no credit for the amazing work of the original creator or any responsibility as it's just the result of me playing around.

Attachments

• AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip
    24.4 KB · Views: 33

vin

AMD OS X Member
hi, thank you for sharing. I am a iOS developer, can Xcode work fine? Adobe also can works. Thank you, again.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I was playing around with the P-State editor, dropping idle frequency and voltage reduce power consumption and and idle temps by 1-2 degrees :)

Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 12.15.59.pngScreenshot 2020-05-08 at 12.15.41.png

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@vin XCode works fine, iOS simulator should also run, but not Apple Watch Simulator as far as I know (don't use them myself). I also don't use Adobe products, but as they use Intel specific instructions they require patches to (somewhat) work on AMD.
Alternatively, you can run MacOS with virtualization to have all applications running.

Last edited:

Sdgros01

AMD OS X Member
I just built off your repo for my NZXT H1 build and I’m having hit or miss success with the Apple Thunderbolt Display working. Display works fine with DP in off a Vega 56 but sometimes the FaceTime camera, USB ports, and speakers work and others they are available . In suggestions into the Thunderbolt to try and prove out and make it more consistent

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
EFI
For more background and EFI check out the Github repo: RyzenMacPro
Thank you for that EFI link. I am building a Hackintosh very similar to yours. Same board but using a Radeon VII/16GB. I'm very sure the Github will help very much.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@jwrandall Have fun with the build, looking forward to hear the results :)

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
Good News and Bad News. Win 10 booted up just fine. I got only to the picker in my OpenCore drives, a USB Catalina installer, an SSD with Catalina already installed, and an M.2 with Catalina already installed. The only choice was to Reset NVRAM which took me back to Windows after rebooting. I had copied over the same EFI Folder to all three drives. NADA. I'm not sure where to start. My ASRock X570 Creator AMD motherboard arrives tomorrow also. My config.plist is attached if anyone sees anything.

Attachments

• config.plist
    51.8 KB · Views: 11

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You can use the BIOS boot selector (F11 on my AsRock). It should detect all EFIs

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
Ok, I decided to go ahead and install my new motherboard that came yesterday, an ASRock X570 Creator. I used your EFI and made some changes to the SMBIOS entries. Boy was I surprised when I saw the White Apple and the progress bar moving very fast. My only problem is USB 2. They don't seem to work. USB 3 does. I had to scramble around trying to plug in the two most important USB devices that I needed to use. At times I had use of a mouse but no keyboard but I managed. So I'm all signed in to my Apple ID and I now have a 2019 MacPro7,1. I need to get Thunderbolt 3 working too. That's vital. Thanks, Aluveitie.

YjunW

AMD OS X Member
Hi, I have a very similar build with you. I was struggling with installing the OS. While I use your EFI, I couldn't see the Install macOS Catalina choice after loading the UEFI. Have you ever came across this before.

jwrandall

AMD OS X Member
Hi, I have a very similar build with you. I was struggling with installing the OS. While I use your EFI, I couldn't see the Install macOS Catalina choice after loading the UEFI. Have you ever came across this before.
You need to build a MacOSX USB Installer first. Once that's done you need to mount the EFI partition associated with that volume on the USB. Place the EFI Folder into the EFI Partition. The OpenCore Installation pretty much takes care of you. Hardware does matter and this process doesn't always work on everything.

YjunW

AMD OS X Member
You need to build a MacOSX USB Installer first. Once that's done you need to mount the EFI partition associated with that volume on the USB. Place the EFI Folder into the EFI Partition. The OpenCore Installation pretty much takes care of you. Hardware does matter and this process doesn't always work on everything.
Sorry I was not clear in the previous message. I have my USB installer done. I have tried my own EFI, which will boot, but the installer crashes. Then I want to try this EFI, but I cannot see the Install macOS Catalina with this EFI.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
My EFI is not intended to copy and install but as a reference point. To do the basic install you just need the EC patch, everything else is optional. In your case my scanPolicy does not allow to boot from USB, internal drive only. Set it to 0.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.