• AMD High Sierra Kernel

• Important News and Announcements are found here.

Please remember to read and follow the rules here.

Please Donate if you've found the website useful. Thanks.

Important News and Announcements are found here.
 #32363  by Shaneee
 Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:49 am
@skadush, I always recommend a clean install for changing to a new OS but if you make a backup first you should be able to update over the Sierra system. I'm in the process of making the official HighSierraAMD image.
skadush liked this

Advertising

#32365  by skadush
 Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:07 am
Shaneee wrote:@skadush, I always recommend a clean install for changing to a new OS but if you make a backup first you should be able to update over the Sierra system. I'm in the process of making the official HighSierraAMD image.
Ooooh noooo.. I have a clone using carbon and made it as a testing ground for any upgrades. Is it riskier to upgrade?
 #32398  by Shaneee
 Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 pm
skadush wrote:
Shaneee wrote:@skadush, I always recommend a clean install for changing to a new OS but if you make a backup first you should be able to update over the Sierra system. I'm in the process of making the official HighSierraAMD image.
Ooooh noooo.. I have a clone using carbon and made it as a testing ground for any upgrades. Is it riskier to upgrade?
Not sure I've never actually tried it. If you've got a clone you could test it there though :thumbup:
 #32535  by faris3d
 Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:13 am
Shaneee wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:49 am
@skadush, I always recommend a clean install for changing to a new OS but if you make a backup first you should be able to update over the Sierra system. I'm in the process of making the official HighSierraAMD image.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We are waiting :thumbup:
Shaneee liked this
 #32800  by fatmaddin2000
 Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 pm
I want to try the recent and new Kernel from Shaneee. How do I change to new one? Is there a script or terminal command I could use?

Thank you!
 #32898  by Shaneee
 Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:56 pm
fatmaddin2000 wrote:I want to try the recent and new Kernel from Shaneee. How do I change to new one? Is there a script or terminal command I could use?

Thank you!
Replace the current kernel inside System/Library/Kernels then run these two commands in Terminal,
Code: Select all
sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
sudo kextcache -u /
I don't recommend this on your main drive unless you can recover it with the installer post install script for example.
fatmaddin2000 liked this
 #33395  by fatmaddin2000
 Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:35 pm
Shaneee wrote:
fatmaddin2000 wrote:I want to try the recent and new Kernel from Shaneee. How do I change to new one? Is there a script or terminal command I could use?

Thank you!
Replace the current kernel inside System/Library/Kernels then run these two commands in Terminal,
sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
sudo kextcache -u /
I don't recommend this on your main drive unless you can recover it with the installer post install script for example.
Thanks! Worked out fine. Getting better scores in Cinebench. Whoooppp!
 #33625  by pjhartin
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:31 am
Can anyone check if virtualisation and hypervisor support is enabled in this kernel? They are needed to run various development tools such as docker.

If you don't have time to install Docker, could you please run these commands in your terminal and share the output:
sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features
This lists the features available on your CPU, I am hoping to see VMX on this list.
sysctl kern.hv_support
This checks for hypervisor support, required for virtualisation tools.

If you could do any of this you would be doing me a huge favour!
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 21.31.51.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #34369  by Egress
 Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:15 am
Hi Shanee,

Regarding the Kernels. My 1950x boots the .dmg/USB drive config properly into the Clover command line interface but no matter what I've tried, there is never an OSX installer screen. Is it possible I'm overlooking something quite simple? Thanks.
 #34426  by lt-tillermann
 Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:07 pm
@pjhartin
I tried both the commands and also installed Docker but it didn't work (Result can be seen in the screenshot).

I would be really happy if there is a solution for this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.