• El Capitan Virtual Machine [FX Edition]

• Tutorials for the installation and post install.

Please remember to read and follow the rules here.

Please Donate if you've found the website useful. Thanks.

Tutorials for the installation and post install.
 #7703  by Valkiry
 Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:15 pm
Hey guys been working on a fix for getting the VM to run with FX cpu's. Unfortunately from what i can diagnose is that Shane's image for VM doesnt create a new RAM DISK cache within its files, so unfortunately a new and fresh install is probably the best for us FX users. Luckily its quite easy and straight forward and its pretty much just like installing OSX as a standalone. Fortunately what settings you choose dont really matter as its what you want and how fast you want it to go. But lets be honest. ITS A VIRTUAL MACHINE.

Whats Needed
-Spare 16Gb USB Stick
-VMware 12 Workstation or higher
-El Capitan 11.5 - i will provide a more suitable version with PS2 Kext and VMware tools And Plop Boot Manager as an all in one ZIP Deeply compressed. OR Download shane V2 AMD OS X windows image and modify it yourself for VMware.
-Trans Mac
-Some Basic OSX knowledge: BootFlags, KernelPanic's

UPDATING VM to latest version
Thanks to Gerardo Doro
Guys, if you are upgrading the vm to the latest version of El Capitan like me, please restart the vm with the /Extra/kernel flag. Then copy the content of the folder /Extra to /System/Library/Kernels

P.S: the /Extra folder is hidden. Google for a way to show hidden folders

DOWNLOADS
El Capitan VMware FX Edition ZIP With Plop boot manager and some extras can be found here:
Code: Select all
https://mega.nz/#!mMBnSDZA!QcnCxBjW0p49qj8HytL8pRPPzAWoHAwKe5zeGArGUl8
Extra Folder to be used with Shanes V2 AMD OS X Image for Windows:
https://mega.nz/#!3dYXALwD!FfIfQuGS4uAy5wXNWvrW_MD7ufTzAZqHSIFSpUi1T-A

Setting Up VMware Environment

1- Personally id recommend the latest Version of VMware.
2- Create a New VM and Set OS as "Other -> Other 64-bit"
3- Luckily how you choose to setup the VM depends on your available resources (RAM, CPU and HDD Space)
* Please note that if you are going to max it out to what resources you have you will have a bad time, Leave at least 1 full core for your OS to run and 2gb of ram. And Atleast 20Gb of hard disk space

4- You will need to add a USB2.0 controller by clicking Add at the bottom.
*Make sure you select "Show all USB Devices)

-Connection Settings:
Make sure the connection is set in your VM Settings as "Bridged" for internet access.

-Below is a visual guide on how to setup the VM environment for OSx:
Spoiler:
*Ignore my CPU cores, i have enough resource available to run and stay stable(OC @ 5.0Ghz)

Setting up a USB for the Installation to VMware

1- You'll need to download my modified version of Shanes V2 OS X for windows.
Here:

2- Use Transmac to restore the DMG to the USB drive you will be using
*using a USB 3.0 speeds up the restoring process but make sure you remove the USB from the 3.0 port and change it to a 2.0 port after you have restored the DMG.

Visual Guide of DMG to USB restored via Transmac:
Spoiler:
Preparing VMware for Plop Bootmangaer

1-PlopBootManager can be found via google or you can find it in my package that i have made
2- Open up your VMware Hardware settings for your El Capitan Environment you created before and navigate to CD/DVD(IDE) and select "use ISO Image:" and navigate to where you downloaded my package or where ever you downloaded Plop to and use the "plpbt.ISO" DO NOT USE IMG!

Installing El Cpaitan onto VMware

1- Make sure that you have plop bootloader selected for boot device.
2- Start your VM and Plop bootmanager should load first, if not mash F12 and select DVD as boot device.
3- At the top of the VM where it displays the tabs Left Click the VM running and select "Removable Devices" and select your USB with El Capitan that was restored from the DMG before and click "Connect"
Spoiler:
PlopBootmanagerImage
4-Navigate to USB with your arrow keys and press Enter and you should be greeted with Enoch Bootloader.
5-You shouldn't have to run any bootflags as ive already added the ones you need to the boot.plist.
6-Continue as you normally would for install. Make sure you open disk utility and format the VMware Drive that at the bottom of the list. Otherwise it wont show anything other than the OS X Base System which is your USB.
Spoiler:
7- When installing open the Log window and make it active so that it wont reboot after install is done, we still have to do somethings.
8- Open Terminal from utilities at the top of OSX install and enter this in order.

cd /Volumes/"OS X Base System"/

cp -R Extra /Volumes/"El CapitanVMFX or what ever you named your drive"/

then check to see if it has copied to the VM by:

cd /Volumes/"El CapitanVMFX or what ever you named your drive"/

ls

and Extra folder should be there. in the list. Now you can reboot with reboot command.
Spoiler:
Post Installation Of El CapitanVMFX
1- Use the same method to boot to USB, but this time select your HDD with OSX on it and enter this boot flag without quotes "/Extra/kernel" and press enter. Give it about 2-3 mins to boot up propperly.
Spoiler:
Some Symbols will be missing but that can be fixed with the latest kernel! DO that yourself im not going to update it
2- You should be good to continue with the rest of the account setup
Spoiler:
3- After you have setup Copy the Kernel from Extra/kernel to System/Library/Kernels/ and over write the exitsing one thats in there. You can use either USB or HDD for this but make sure your copying to the HDD running the VM so you can boot without /Extra/kernel bootflag.
4- Mount darwin.iso into the VM - Same method as selecting the usb for plop, but select CD/DVD and then settings. This will take a min to load.
5- Install VMware Tools.
6- Download and install Enoch to the VM Harddrive.
7- Reboot and continue to use plop as the first drive, and select the first HDA Partition 1 which will load Enoch and you can continue to boot and OSX should load properly. Still might take a while to load.

And there you go! Now us FX Users have a working version of El capitan VMware style.

Any issue's or anything please let me know, i probably left some minor things out as this took me 1.5 weeks to make as best i could. Ill make a video as well if people still dont get it. Good Luck and Give me 10 hours to Mod and Upload the El-CapitanVMFX-Edition

Fixes:

Divide error registers:
1-Basically all this error means is that Number Of Virtual CPUS doesnt match coresPerSocket So all you have to do is make it even.
2- Open .VMX File located where you saved you VMDK hard drive for Vmware.
3- Navigate to:
 numvcpus = "6"
 cpuid.coresPerSocket = "3"
4- Make the Numvcpus and cpuid.coresPerSocket the same as each other i.e:
numvcpus = "6"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "6"

Or 

numvcpus = "3"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "3"

*Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage to your device/system. If you max out your settings and cause extreme strain on your components you are soly responsible for you device/system*
qmastery liked this
This topic has 104 replies
You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Advertising