Wi-Fi speed test: Intel AX200 vs BCM94360NG

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Not so, as my Intel AX210 WiFi/BT card using the Sonoma Alpha v2.3.0 release of Airportitlwm.kext works with Messages, the same as it does on my other hacks using a Broadcom WiFi/BT card. Bluetooth works just fine too.

I'm going to replace the MediaTek WiFi/BT card that is currently in the M.2 slot on my Asus B550 motherboard with an Intel AX210/200 or similar compatible card and see what difference it makes compared to the Broadcom WiFi/BT card I am currently using in Ventura. I might even upgrade to Sonoma on a spare drive, to check that out too.

Now I just need to fined the Intel WiFi/BT card among the many boxes of parts I own.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Not so, as my Intel AX210 WiFi/BT card using the Sonoma Alpha v2.3.0 release of Airportitlwm.kext works with Messages, the same as it does on my other hacks using a Broadcom WiFi/BT card. Bluetooth works just fine too.
That's awesome, so there's hope. :)

Will keep digging, something else is an issue then...

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
OK, this is getting interesting...
  • AX200 on Gigabyte B550-I Aorus Pro AX 1.0 instantly logged-in into Messages. Works perfectly.
  • AX200 on Asus ROG Strix B550I logs in super slow, can't send any messages.
Tried Asus with Monterey and Sonoma, Gigabyte only with Monterey. It's not the OS.
Something else is an issue here...

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Are you using exactly the same Itlwm/Airportitlwm.kext in both systems when running Monterey?
Which version are you using in Monterey v2.2.0 Stable or v2.3.0 Alpha release Monterey kext?
Are you using the latest Alpha v2.3.0 kext in Sonoma?
Confirm which kext and versions you are using.

Do you use the itlwm country code boot argument in any of these systems?
itlwm_cc= COUNTRY_CODE - two-digit code such as US, FR, IT, ES, GB etc.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have now focused on comparing the Monterey builds, which are both using same Airportitlwm.kext 2.2.0
Both are using itlwm_cc=RS bootarg.

iCloud sync is working on both machines. Display of Wi-Fi info in SysInfo is identical for both:

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.40.34.png

Both machines have Ethernet showing as en0 and built-in. Not sure what else can influence this...

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I have installed the Intel AX200 WiFi/BT card in my Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming/Ryzen 9 3900X system, running Ventura 13.6.1 & Windows 11 Pro.
  • The Intel WiFi/BT card is mounted on a PCIe adapter in the bottom PCIe x1 slot.
  • I removed my Broadcom BCM43602CS card from that same PCIe x1 slot.
  • Bluetooth module is connected to a spare USB2 Internal header, all as you would expect.
In Windows 11:
  1. The WiFi drivers loaded automatically, no input required.
  2. I had to add the password to connect to my home WiFi network, but nothing required to get it working other than the password.
  3. I had to manually install the Bluetooth drivers, got them from Intel.
  4. Both aspects work just fine.
In macOS:
  1. I removed AirportBrcmFixup.kext (forgot to remove the country-code boot argument).
  2. Added Airportitlwm.kext v2.2.0 for Ventura, with MinKernel and MaxKernel entries so it only loads in Ventura.
  3. Added Airportitwm.kext v2.3.0 for Sonoma, with MinKernel so it won't load in anything earlier than Sonoma.
  4. I am going to replace the AirportBrcmFixup country code boot argument with the one for Itlwm once I have finished this post.
  5. Added BlueToolFixup.kext v 2.6.8
  6. Added IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext v2.3.0
  7. Added IntelBTPatcher.kext v2.3.0
  8. Rebooted, Reset NVRAM, edited my Bios to make the macOS UEFI partition the default boot drive (again).
  9. Booted in to macOS Ventura and both the WiFi and Bluetooth were turned off.
  10. Switched both on, added WiFi network password for my home network and the Intel Card connected.
  11. Bluetooth works too, connected my iPhone and bluetooth ear buds.
  12. No additional Bluetooth entries required in the config.plist.
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 20.25.13.png System Information > Bluetooth report

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 20.25.45.png System Information > WiFi report, with incorrect Country Code.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 20.29.25.png Hackintool > System > Peripherals Showing WiFi & Bluetooth

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 20.30.10.png Hackintool > PCIe tab, showing Intel AX200 card.

As I had not signed out of any of the Apple services before swapping the Broadcom card out for the Intel AX200 card I had no issues connecting to my iCloud, App Store, Music and Messages accounts. I can send and receive messages using the Intel card.

Not sure what is happening with your Asus systems, possibly something has been misconfigured.....

The Intel AX200 WiFi/BT card should work exactly the same in the Asus system as it does in your Gigabyte system(s).

I'll throw macOS Sonoma on a spare NVME drive in the X570 system and see if it has any issues with the INTEL WiFi card. I am not expecting any as I have an EFI that works with this system but you never know.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Replaced the AirportBrcmFixup.kext country-code boot argument with itlwm_cc=GB for Airportitlwm.kext's boot argument.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 20.37.33.png Correct country-code now used and shown in System Information > WiFi report.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the detailed write-up, I did all the same. The strangest part is that Hackintool shows iMessage keys and yet messages won't go through.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 10.45.45.png

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Installed macOS Sonoma on the spare Crucial 5 Plus NVME drive in the ASUS X570 system, using the same EFI as used for Ventura. All went to plan, using the same MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

The Intel AX200 WiFi & Bluetooth worked out of the box, as the kexts etc. were already present in the OC setup. WiFi just required password to connect to my home network.

All the Apple services work, including Messages, iCloud & App Store.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
This morning, I tried the almost-nuclear approach, per this old guide.

Signed out from iCloud, reboot, clean NVRAM, delete mentioned stuff in Caches, Preferences and Messages (inside ~/Library). Then another reboot and re-sign into iCloud. Then sign into Messages and...nothing, still the same. 😵‍💫
Pfff...

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Ok try this.
1. Check on Apple that the S/N is in the correct format but not already registered.
2. Log into the online iCloud account and remove any/all machines including your current one then sign out of iCloud.
3. Wait a few minutes, restart the machine , clean NvRAM and boot to Desktop.
4. At this point, try to re-register the machine by signing into your iCloud account with your Apple ID and see if it solves the problem.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Full nuclear :) is not an option to try.
There are almost 20 devices I have signed-in, even some which are not near me currently. Signing all of them is thus not viable.

I did re-check S/N, using everymac.com and checkcoverage.apple.com, all of that is fine.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I wasn't sure when suggesting that all the devices be removed how many you would have or where they would be located. So not surprised you are reluctant to remove them all.

How about removing the current system only.
But instead of reusing the current SMBIOS data, you generate a new set?
Boot from a USB with the new Serial etc, log in to iCloud and see if Messages works.

I assume you have Messages stored/saved in the iCloud account and that any previous messages will be downloaded when you sign in and sync Messages with your iCloud account.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.